Author Topic: United Airlines  (Read 2430 times)

CharlieBraun

Re: United Airlines
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2013, 09:52:21 AM »
I fly a lot for business, and end up on a lot of airlines as a result.

My co-worker is a multi-million-miler on former Continental Airlines and he and most of his other brethren have been very crabby since the United merger.

I'm tied most deeply into Delta simply on location and their metal is aging rapidamente.

I love US Airways for a lot of reasons but I always donate all of my miles to their program "Hero Flight" which flies US WWII veterans to Washington DC to visit the WWII memorial.  I am concerned about their merger with AA for safety reasons.

Essentially -and forgive me if this sounds snobbish - airlines simply don't care about non-status passengers.  They make a tremendous amount of money on their cargo/shipping in the belly of their planes which was one of the factors that led all to start charging to check bags; they knew it would free up more space in the cargo hold for materials that they could profit from, rather than fly your bags for free.  Unless you are a status flyer, you are frankly viewed as cargo that has to be pressurized or, as it was said of movie extras when I was in that business, furniture that eats.

I second the person who said, pay the extra money for the upgrades.  In your position, I would get the cheapest upgraded (business or first) class ticket that you can buy, no matter the carrier (airline.)

Try this site as well:  www.flyertalk.com, and www.seatguru.com to pinpoint your exact seats.  Subject, of course, to equipment change which happens more often than not.
"We ate the pies."

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2013, 10:13:59 AM »
They put someone else's name on my luggage.  Someone going to a completely different destination.  It took forever to get back to me because the baggage retrieval people kept looking for my name even though their notes said to look for name XYZ.

Did you not have a tag on it with your name?  I dont know how it would happen putting the wrong name on when they match your ticket when you Checkin and give you the bagtags.  Not saying it didn't happen. Just not sure how.  It is very important to put your name on your baggage. That is not airline responsibility.

I did.  In fact that is how it got back to me at all.  Also, my end of the United tag had my name on it.  The flight desk person put my United tag on someone else's luggage, and put theirs on my luggage. 

Because of my name tag they knew in about 12 hours where my luggage was.  But 5 or 6 times, when someone was told "Go to XYZ location in the airport and retrieve the lost luggage that needs to get on a flight"  They did not retrieve my luggage and instead said "No, this luggage is not there".  Even though there was a note that the United tag said so-and-so's name instead of mine.  All they did was "attempt" to match up my name with the one on the United tag. 

I get that any company can have lazy idiots working for them.  But, this went on so long I classify it as a management problem.  The person manning the lost luggage desk was saying "Yes, the luggage is here."  The person retrieving it said "Not there".  After a certain number of times, management should have stepped in and said "What is the problem?"  It was on my flight home, but I was flying often enough that it got there about 4 hours before my next trip.  The only way I ever did get my luggage was to weedle the person manning the desk, to temporarily abandon their desk so they could walk the luggage retriever to my luggage and say "Here it is"

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2013, 10:47:56 AM »
Could be worse - you could be flying Air Canada, who has twice told me that to get my bags back I must return to the airport, talk my way into the secure area, and then hunt for the bags myself. Even scarier, this has worked (although I only had to go into the secure zone once - the other time I found the bag outside the zone).

The mind boggles at the security issues this raises, as well as the fact that if I were not honest I could have picked up the bag and still reported it missing, because it was just sitting in a pile of other bags.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2013, 01:06:19 PM »
They put someone else's name on my luggage.  Someone going to a completely different destination.  It took forever to get back to me because the baggage retrieval people kept looking for my name even though their notes said to look for name XYZ.

Did you not have a tag on it with your name?  I dont know how it would happen putting the wrong name on when they match your ticket when you Checkin and give you the bagtags.  Not saying it didn't happen. Just not sure how.  It is very important to put your name on your baggage. That is not airline responsibility.

I did.  In fact that is how it got back to me at all.  Also, my end of the United tag had my name on it.  The flight desk person put my United tag on someone else's luggage, and put theirs on my luggage. 

Because of my name tag they knew in about 12 hours where my luggage was.  But 5 or 6 times, when someone was told "Go to XYZ location in the airport and retrieve the lost luggage that needs to get on a flight"  They did not retrieve my luggage and instead said "No, this luggage is not there".  Even though there was a note that the United tag said so-and-so's name instead of mine.  All they did was "attempt" to match up my name with the one on the United tag. 

I get that any company can have lazy idiots working for them.  But, this went on so long I classify it as a management problem.  The person manning the lost luggage desk was saying "Yes, the luggage is here."  The person retrieving it said "Not there".  After a certain number of times, management should have stepped in and said "What is the problem?"  It was on my flight home, but I was flying often enough that it got there about 4 hours before my next trip.  The only way I ever did get my luggage was to weedle the person manning the desk, to temporarily abandon their desk so they could walk the luggage retriever to my luggage and say "Here it is"

That really is strange.  If you are checking in, it is only your bags that are there.  The tags print out with the UPC codes on them as well as your flight routing.  There had to be someone else's bags right there for them to make such a stupid mixup.   

I not only make sure my name is attached to the outside, but always put a note on the inside with my name and contact info in case those tags fall off. 

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2013, 01:13:34 PM »
I hear criticism all the time about Air Canada and I have always had good luck with them.  They were the ones who got me back home the most inexpensively when my dad died.  I find the FA's very friendly and helpful.  I love the seat back entertainment.   If I am flying to / from Canada, AC is always my first choice. 

Someone else upthread mentioned about being delayed and then cancelled in Chicago b/c of weather.  The delay could have been for many reasons... the plane was expected to arrive from another location and couldn't access Chicago.  There may have been another flight, but that one might have been full.   They can't bump passengers to make room for displaced passengers. 

Weather delays are not the fault of the airline.  I was delayed once b/c  of mechanical issues and those things just happen.  I feel badly for Airline employees when these things happen b/c they are the first point of contact and take a lot of abuse from stressed passengers.

We were flying to Helsinki from Chicago last Sept and we were on the plane.  We had to deplane and have the plane rebooted b/c of mechanical problems.  We left 6 hours late.  We arrived exhausted and lost the day we planned to stay in Helsinki before flying to Paris.  Things happen and it is best to remain polite and calm. 

I have seen on the TV when there are storms and airports are shut down.  People are angry with the airline staff.  Did they order the storm?  No.