General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Applying by email

(1/3) > >>

Knitterly:
I am applying for a new job.  The job posting requests that resumes be send by email.

When one applies for a job by email, does one put the cover letter as an attachment or as the body of the email?

(If this should be under technoquette, I apologize - wasn't sure where this fit the best).

hjaye:
I would always put it in the body of the email.

I would give them my name, tell them I am responding to their need for whatever the job title was, tell them I believed I was an excellent fit for their company, and then a brief explanation of why I believed that. I would tell them how long I have been working in the industry, give them a brief run down of the responsibilities I have had, some of the important things I accomplished and tell them I was attaching my resume for their considerations, give them my contact information, the best times and way and to contact me. I would end it by telling them I was looking forward to talking with them and discussing this opportunity in greater detail.

Knitterly:
Thanks.  My first impulse was to put it in the body of the email.  I already have the letter written and proof-read (mr K is an amazing proofreader). 

I am sure it doesn't technically matter.  I don't expect them to actually be inundated with applications for the role.  They will likely get 3 or 4 applications at most. 

DaDancingPsych:
I don't know what etiquette says, although I figure by now there must be a rule, but I have seen it both ways. Using the body of the letter as the cover letter, as well as including the cover letter as the first page of the document attached. I, personally, prefer a mix of both. In the body of the email, include a short explanation of why you are sending this, sell yourself a smidge (give the main reason you are perfect for the job), and include your contact information. Then include a longer, more formal cover letter with the resume. This way, I can save off your resume and pass it along to the hiring manager with the cover letter included, but then I also know what I am opening when I read the email.

reflection5:

--- Quote from: Knitterly on April 17, 2013, 09:14:36 AM ---I am applying for a new job.  The job posting requests that resumes be send by email.

When one applies for a job by email, does one put the cover letter as an attachment or as the body of the email?

(If this should be under technoquette, I apologize - wasn't sure where this fit the best).

--- End quote ---

The cover letter is the application.
The attachment should be the resume.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version