Author Topic: Re: Quiche . . . I've never made one. Help? Hints? Recipes? OP#11, Sucess#13!  (Read 1878 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Reading the "How do you like your eggs" thread in the Coffee Break topic reminded me of my love for quiche, which I've only had on rare occasions.

My work cafeteria used to serve a spinach/cheese/bacon quiche with a lemon sauce/gravy which was wonderful.

I'll be completely honest with you, I always thought that a quiche was your simple scrambled eggs/omelet recipe (mixing up eggs, milk & ingredients) and pouring it into a pie crust then baking.

Apparently I'm wrong. I've been googling quiche recipes.

1. Some recipes call for flour, others don't. Does it depend on the ingredients used whether you use flour or not?

2. Some recipes say to layer the ingredients on the crust then add the egg mixture on top.

3. Pie crust . . . I'll probably use a store bought prepared/pre-panned pie crust. Is one brand better than another for quiche? Do you need to pre-bake the crust?

4. Do you normally serve some sort of sauce over a quiche?

As you can see, I'm a complete novice at this dish.

Any help, hints, recipes would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 07:54:05 PM by jpcher »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Quiche . . . I've never made one. Help? Hints? Recipes?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 08:20:40 PM »
This is my Mom's recipe.  I think she got it from a Milk Calendar, originally.

1 9" or deep pie plate lined with unbaked pastry.  My favourite is Tenderflake but that might be a Canadian product.  It is made with lard and only has a few ingredients.  I buy vegetable based tart shells because there are a couple of vegetarians at work and the ingredient list is really long with a bunch of chemicals!

1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tsp oregano
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tbsp butter
8 bacon slices, diced
1 pkg cream cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup milk
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup broccoli, chopped and cooked
1/2 cup bread crumbs, about 1 slice if you are making your own
4 tomatoes, sliced

Saute onions, mushrooms and seasonings in butter.  Fry bacon until crisp; drain and crumble.  Cream together cheeses; blend in milk.  Add beaten eggs.  Fold in broccoli, bacon, bread crumbs, onions and mushrooms.  Pour into pastry shell.  Arrange tomato slices around the outer edge.  Bake at 425 F for 10 minutes.  Lower temperature to 350 F and bake 25 minutes longer.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

MummySweet

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 09:30:28 PM »
For years I felt quiche was far too much work for the the final product.  Then my friend gave me a recipe for a quick and easy quiche.   Now I make it frequently, changing up the fillings.

One unbaked pie crust (I use pillsbury refrigerated)
3 cups solid filling (e.g., cheeses, veg, bacon, etc.; certain veg will need to be sauteed or blanched to soften)
3 eggs
12 oz half and half  (I substitute evaporated milk for lower fat, it doesn't raise as high, but tastes the same)
fresh ground nutmeg to taste

Unroll  and press crust into quiche pan or pie plate.   Fill with solid fillings.  Wisk together eggs, half&half and nutmeg.  Pour over filling.  Bake at 375F for 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and middle appears to have mostly risen.

*  My favorite filling combo is sauteed asparagus, chopped red pepper and asiago cheese.    My kids love swiss cheese, bacon and french  fried onions (1 cup each).  It's sort of a faux quiche lorraine.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 10:11:04 PM »
This is a quick and easy one I use that basically makes its own 'crust' and only uses one bowl for preparation.

4 eggs
1 1/2 Cups Milk
1/2 Cup self raising flour
1 tomato, chopped,
300gm bacon or ham, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
300-400gm grated cheese.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Optional extras such as corn, grated zucchini etc.

Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well to all combined.

Pour into a greased quiche/pie dish.

Cook 25-35 minutes at 200C

amylouky

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 01:17:36 AM »
I love making quiche! I use Marie Callender's pie crusts, just think they taste better.
I usually cook some onion (finely chopped, maybe 1/4 cup?) and garlic (about a teaspoon) in a little bit of butter, until the onions are transparent.
I bake the pie crust first, but not all the way.. just for a few minutes. Then I add in a cup of diced ham and enough shredded cheddar to fill the pie crust about 3/4 full.
For the egg mixture, I mix four eggs with 1/2 cup of milk or half and half, then stir in the onion/garlic, and a teaspoon or so of white pepper, and pour it over the ham/cheese.
I bake it at whatever temperature the pie crust recommends, until the top is browned and it's not jiggly.

Sorry so imprecise.. I tend to not go by recipes a lot, just whatever looks/smells/feels right.  :D

Edited to add: Forgot my favorite side. I get the honey bran muffin mix (Martha White?) and add in some dried cranberries. Goes very well with quiche!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 01:19:56 AM by amylouky »

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 06:15:58 AM »
I use more egg and less milk; Oronoque Orchards pie crust is what I can get and I always use the deep dish ones.

Broccoli and cauliflower are good veggies for quiche, with or without bacon or ham.  Always use sauteed onion.  Veggie quiche also tastes good cold.

I have never heard of sauce or gravy for quiche.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 03:05:56 PM »
I always blind bake my bases and allow to cool before I make the quiche as it gives a crisper result. If I'm doing it for a special meal I might precook fillings such as onions and then assemble it just before baking.
NE England

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 03:18:04 PM »
This is my Mom's recipe.  I think she got it from a Milk Calendar, originally.

1 9" or deep pie plate lined with unbaked pastry.  My favourite is Tenderflake but that might be a Canadian product.  It is made with lard and only has a few ingredients.  I buy vegetable based tart shells because there are a couple of vegetarians at work and the ingredient list is really long with a bunch of chemicals!

1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tsp oregano
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tbsp butter
8 bacon slices, diced
1 pkg cream cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup milk
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup broccoli, chopped and cooked
1/2 cup bread crumbs, about 1 slice if you are making your own
4 tomatoes, sliced

Saute onions, mushrooms and seasonings in butter.  Fry bacon until crisp; drain and crumble.  Cream together cheeses; blend in milk.  Add beaten eggs.  Fold in broccoli, bacon, bread crumbs, onions and mushrooms.  Pour into pastry shell.  Arrange tomato slices around the outer edge.  Bake at 425 F for 10 minutes.  Lower temperature to 350 F and bake 25 minutes longer.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

I'm confused; You avoid lard crust for the sake of vegetarians, and use bacon in the filling? 
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

lowspark

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 04:35:20 PM »
I haven't made quiche in a long time but it's really one of the easiest things in the world to make.

No need to prebake the crust. You can use homemade or any crust you like. I just usually pick up the frozen deep dish premade ones because I'm lazy but you can use Pillsbury or whatever brand you like.

My recipe is:
3 eggs, beaten
a cup of milk (or so, I usually don't measure!)
approximately 6 oz shredded cheese (give or take)
and whatever other fillings you like.

Frozen spinach (drain well)
mushrooms (saute before adding)
any kind of cooked meat (browned hamburger, shredded chicken, diced ham, etc.)
Sauteed onions
etc.

I used to use it as a way to use up whatever leftover meat or veggie were lingering in my fridge.

Just mix up all the ingredients, pour it in the crust, bake at 350 for about an hour or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

I like to sprinkle the top with paprika before baking as it gives the pie a nice color but that's totally optional.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 06:35:59 PM »
LOL Ms Cellany.  No, I'd leave the bacon out if I was making it for vegetarians.

I was referring to butter tarts and pumpkin tarts that I take into work sometimes.  I buy tart shells so I don't have to fiddle and I always laugh.  The 'unhealthy' ones have 4 ingredients:  lard, flour, water, salt.  The 'healthy' ones have about 10 including vegetable shortening, flour, water, salt, hydrogenated vegetable oil and 4 or 5 compounds that might as well be listed as methyl-ethyl death.   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 07:42:40 PM »
I make my own pastry and blind bake it before I put the stuff in. Shortcrust pastry isn't that hard to make and it's so much nicer than bought pastry as I make it with butter.

This is the recipe I usually use. It is vegetarian.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/7484/sun+dried+tomato+and+feta+quiche

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: Quiche . . . I've never made one. Help? Hints? Recipes? OP#11
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 03:13:07 PM »
Thank you, everybody! Your recipes lead me to believe that making quiche is easier than I thought.  ;D

Outdoor Girl -- Oh, my. Your Mom's recipe sounds divine. I like the cream cheese ingredient. (I've had scrambled eggs with bits of cream cheese, Yum!)

Thanks to all that suggested pre-cooking the "hard" veggies. If I went off on my own, I wouldn't have done this.

If I use fresh spinach, would I have to sautee or pre-cook in any way?

Sammycat -- you're the only one that uses flour "1/2 Cup self raising flour" does the flour fluff up the eggs? I assume it has to be self raising, not any old flour would do, right?

For the crust, what is "blind bake" and how do you do this? What is the benefit?

Grocery shopping tomorrow -- I'm thinking about spinach, mushroom, onion, cream cheese and diced ham (maybe a finely diced jalapeno pepper for some spice?) . . . with tomato around the edges.

Using MummySweet's "3 cups solid filling" rule, I'll also use the majority recipe of 3 eggs and 1 cup milk.

Bake at 350 until done.

(Or maybe the 4 eggs, flour and 1-1/2 cups milk. Depending on an answer to my flour question ;) It seems, to me, that the flour will add some fluffiness to the eggs.)

Quiche for dinner tomorrow! I'm excited! ;D

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 03:18:31 PM by jpcher »

Katana_Geldar

Re: Quiche . . . I've never made one. Help? Hints? Recipes? OP#11
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 05:27:29 PM »
Blind baking is putting the pastry in the oven by itself either pricked dell over with a fork or with baking paper inside with dried beans, rice or pastry weights.

It's usually 10 mins at 200C.

Also with a quiche you layer it right. It's hard ingredients on first, then half the cheese, then egg mix, yhen the rest of the cheese.

And in some quiches, the flour sinks to the bottom in baking so there's no need for a crust. But I like crusts.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
UPDATE: It was awesome!

Thanks, everybody! ;D

This is what I did:

Light saute about 1/3 vidalia onion and thinly sliced baby portabella  mushrooms, along with 1 small clove of garlic (instead of jalapeno) and let cool a bit (wasn't sure if adding these hot would pre-cook the eggs?)

Whisked 3 eggs and 1 cup of milk with salt & pepper.

Added 1/2 cup finely diced ham, small chunks of cream cheese (about 1/2 brick), 1 cup chopped fresh spinach and mixed in the pre-cooked ingredients then poured it all into the pie dish.

I used a Pillsbury pie crust . . . I think I should have taken the advice on blind baking, the crust was a bit soggy, almost underdone. :-\

Baked at 350F until a toothpick came out clean (about 40 minutes)

I served sliced tomatoes on the side (forgot to put them on before baking. ::))

In the future, I'll blind-bake the pie crust, add more spinach and cream cheese.

Thank You Everybody! Quiche isn't so scarey any more! ;D

Nikko-chan

jpcher, as I say to people in my family when they make something that is amazing: "You aren't allowed to cook anymore!" ;) ;D

Seriously, it sounds awesome. I want to make one.