Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Horrible cook requests help. Slow cooker salvation?

<< < (9/9)

sparksals:

--- Quote from: Giggity on April 25, 2013, 08:15:57 AM ---Huh, I tried saving veggie ends but never got around to using them. I'll toss bones in too. By trimmings, do you mean fat and such? And the papery stuff from onions and garlic - NO IDEA. It's early to learn but I'm doing it!

--- End quote ---

I don't save bones unless it is a turkey/chicken carcass, prime rib bones  or hambone.    I save the veggie clippings, including the paper onion and garlic skins, to make the veggie stock  thru the year.  Using the bones and adding fat makes straining difficult and a high fat content.  Straining and skimminh  fat is a messy job. However I do that at TG and Xmas.  The rest of the year, veggie stock for healthier reasons.   The clippings, peels and ends add up quick. 

sparksals:

--- Quote from: blarg314 on April 25, 2013, 08:30:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: Giggity on April 25, 2013, 08:15:57 AM ---Huh, I tried saving veggie ends but never got around to using them. I'll toss bones in too. By trimmings, do you mean fat and such? And the papery stuff from onions and garlic - NO IDEA. It's early to learn but I'm doing it!

--- End quote ---

Another good one - if you have leftover tomato skins/peels, or the juice from canned tomatoes that isn't used in a dish, toss it in a plastic bag, and use it for a rich stock.

If you cook dried beans or chickpeas, save the cooking water - it makes a great soup base, particularly for vegetarian soups. The soaking water from dried mushrooms is good for stock, too.

And if you use whole seafood, you can make great seafood stock from things like fish heads and bones and shrimp shells.

--- End quote ---

Any beg works for me but potatoes bc of the starch.  I clear our my crisper in addition to the frozen ziploc bags.  Almost anything goes. 

Piratelvr1121:
One of my favorites, and it's very easy!  Taco Soup.

1lb ground beef
1 packet ranch seasoning
1 packet taco seasoning
1 can pinto beans
1-2 cans diced tomatoes (I use two, to make more)
1-2 cans chili
1 can of corn (I tend to use 1 bag frozen corn)

shredded cheese and sour cream to top. 
ground the beef in a pan with the taco and ranch seasoning, then mix it with the other ingredients in the crock pot and turn on low for about 5-6 hours.  Smells so good as it cooks.

And oh, I love crock pot liners.  Saves time on cleanup.

Ms_Cellany:

--- Quote from: sparksals on April 28, 2013, 09:24:39 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Straining and skimming fat is a messy job.

--- End quote ---

We have a skimmer/strainer ($3 from IKEA, http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20149463/).  i use it to scoop the bones & veggie debris out of the stock, rather than wrestling a hot stock pot to pour into a colander.   When I've got most of it out, I put it in the fridge until chilled. Fat rises to the top and solidifies. I pick it off with a spoon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version