Author Topic: Help me keep my temper- talking about prop weapons in a theater...  (Read 4179 times)

Seiryuu

Re: Help me keep my temper- talking about prop weapons in a theater...
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 02:39:06 PM »
Perhaps it would calm the waters if you found someone with some knowledge of safe firearms handling to be the babysitter of the firearm....maybe an off duty LEO? They could be in charge of securing the firearm when not in use, discharging when appropriate and making sure no one got up to any foolish shenanigans with it.

That's me, actually. I have a theater degree, and we covered weaponry as part of our studies. I've used blank rounds in various shows numerous times, as has the actor who will be firing it. He and I will be the only two who will have access to the gun, which will be kept in a padlocked locker between shows (per state law) and I will have the key. Additionally, the actor who will be firing the gun onstage is a police officer and uses the real thing (thank god, only on the range so far) rather frequently. He and I both have our state licenses to use and carry the real thing and will be conducting a safety course with our actors as soon as we have the prop. When we start running full dress rehearsals for the Festival, we will be inviting all the actors and staff involved into our rehearsal to hear the "boom"s, and a disclaimer will go in the program.

I will mention the idea of having another producer on hand to our Chairwoman just in case. I very much like the "I would hate to ask you to do something you're uncomfortable with..." line of thought should it be necessary, as well as turning the problem back on the complainer. Thank you all very much for your wisdom!

Sidenote: Sounds like I'm fairly close to you, and now I want to come see this show :)
The festival is in June. Feel free to send me a private message if you'd like more details! We love audiences, and I'd love to meet someone from E*Hell!
You've warned the audience about gunshots in the program and are holding rehearsal periods for cast to familiarise themselves with the prop. I think your producer could calm down a little, especially if he's been flipping back-and-forth on the use of a prop gun.

Jloreli

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 10:26:29 AM »
Perhaps it would calm the waters if you found someone with some knowledge of safe firearms handling to be the babysitter of the firearm....maybe an off duty LEO? They could be in charge of securing the firearm when not in use, discharging when appropriate and making sure no one got up to any foolish shenanigans with it.

That's me, actually. I have a theater degree, and we covered weaponry as part of our studies. I've used blank rounds in various shows numerous times, as has the actor who will be firing it. He and I will be the only two who will have access to the gun, which will be kept in a padlocked locker between shows (per state law) and I will have the key. Additionally, the actor who will be firing the gun onstage is a police officer and uses the real thing (thank god, only on the range so far) rather frequently. He and I both have our state licenses to use and carry the real thing and will be conducting a safety course with our actors as soon as we have the prop. When we start running full dress rehearsals for the Festival, we will be inviting all the actors and staff involved into our rehearsal to hear the "boom"s, and a disclaimer will go in the program.

You guys have all your ducks in a row (you knew that  ;) ) and if this guy knows that only well qualified folks are handling the gun, that every proper safety precaution is being taken then he's being a non-eHell friendly word. (you knew that too) I actually feel badly that I assumed that you all hadn't already thought about my suggestions....sorry!

LadyStormwing

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 10:44:24 PM »
I actually feel badly that I assumed that you all hadn't already thought about my suggestions....sorry!

Don't! How could you possibly have known? It's community theater, after all. Sort of like Gump's box of chocolates...  :o (Actually, our's is pretty good, being close to several distinguished theater "meccas". The locals tend to know their stuff. Usually.) And really, how many people are lucky enough to end up with a real cop firing their fake gun?