Author Topic: Ouch- Knee issues  (Read 336 times)

SingActDance

• You don't know me, but I'm famous.
Ouch- Knee issues
« on: April 17, 2013, 10:42:30 AM »
I don't want to venture too far into medical advice, and mods please feel free to shut me down if I am.

I am fairly active (if you don't count the past two weeks of laziness). I dance, and occasionally do yoga. For the past couple months I've had occasional pain and "tightness" behind my left knee. It got pretty bad when I was doing a lot of walking around NYC. It's worst when my leg is at full extension, with a flexed foot.

Since being an arts festival vagabond doesn't come with a health plan, I did a couple searches on the internet that point to something called Baker's Cysts. I've started taking some ibuprofen before workouts, but I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced these symptoms from their workouts and what worked for you. Ice? Heat? Any stretches that helped?

Thanks in advance!

Most people look at musical theatre and think "Why are those people singing and dancing in the street?" I'm sort of the opposite. I see a street full of people and think, "Why aren't they?"

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Ouch- Knee issues
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 10:54:24 AM »
My brother just went through this.  Ice and lots of it.  But you actually have to put it under the knee, not on top of the knee.

If there is a physical therapy and/or massage therapy school near you, you might be able to have it assessed and treated relatively cheaply.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 11:42:51 AM »
I definitely second seeing a massage therapist. In NY all you would need to do is ask if the person is a licensed massage therapist - if they are they took medical massage in school to get their degree and will be familiar with a baker's cyst and other similar issues, other states will vary. Of course seeing someone who specializes in medical massage is best if possible.

You should also consider your shoes. Did you recently start wearing new shoes or conversely are your regular shoes old and very worn down? The wear of your shoes will absolutely affect your knee joints.

Ice is always a good guess for first aid as well. Try to keep it elevated when you aren't using it. And no/low impact exercise to strengthen the surrounding muscles is usually a good idea (for a knee, perhaps something in water if you have access to a pool). And of course, take it easy - ease up on use when it hurts.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:44:39 AM by WillyNilly »

MayHug

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 12:10:42 PM »
I had a bakers cyst a few years ago. I had to eventually have surgery and have not had any problems since.