Author Topic: Did I just tank my chances with this?  (Read 2321 times)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
Did I just tank my chances with this?
« on: April 17, 2013, 05:58:15 PM »
I had an interview today (my second one!) for a position that I'm pretty excited about.  At the end of the interview, the hiring manager asked if I had a list of my references with me, or if they were on the electronic application I had submitted.  I told her that I thought they were listed on the electronic application, but that I could certainly send them to her if they weren't there. 

On my drive home, I tried to remember if I'd listed any references on the electronic application, and I didn't think I had.  So when I got home, I quickly googled her email address (she works for a school district, so it's publicly available on their website) and emailed her a thank you note, adding the names and phone numbers of my references to the email for her convenience.  My thought while doing this is that it would give her information, and show that I was proactive and worked to resolve any difficulties I was faced with.  After I sent the email, I thought maybe I shouldn't have done it, since it might appear a little creepy and stalkerish. 

For those who do hiring, would you be pleased to get an email like mine, or would you be slightly creeped out because I'd sent an email without personally being given your email address?

bah12

• Super Hero!
Re: Did I just tank my chances with this?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 06:14:36 PM »
Well, it's always appropriate to send a thank you after an interview and an emailed one is just fine.

As for the references, she asked about them.  She obviously wants them, so sending them to her vs her having to dig up the applications, see they weren't there, and then request them, does show some proactiveness.

I think you're fine.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 06:27:13 PM »
For those who do hiring, would you be pleased to get an email like mine, or would you be slightly creeped out because I'd sent an email without personally being given your email address?

I wouldn't hire someone who wasn't able to figure out a public email, or someone who wasn't proactive enough to find an address to provide requested information.

So in my opinion, you helped your chances, in no way did you hurt them!

EllenS

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 06:29:54 PM »
POD, not stalkerish.

Even if you had to call the receptionist/secretary to get the email address to send the references, I would think that was OK because you were providing specifically requested info.  Sending flowers/chocolates/movie tickets/animated E-cards, that would be creepy.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 09:25:10 AM »
You gave her information she asked for at her work email?  The work place that she is interviewing you for?  Perfectly awesome.

Stalkerish would be sending it to her home email.

amylouky

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 09:28:41 AM »
I think the fact that her email is on the school district website makes it perfectly okay. Presumably it is there for exactly that reason, so that people with a school-related need to contact her can find her contact info.
I think you were fine.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »
If I bothered to ask you about references, it means I sort of think you're a finalist. If I did it at a second interview, it means I'm really, really close to deciding.

So getting them outside the electronic application actually saves me a little time, and it does make you look like a conscientious finalist. That can make a difference. I once made a hiring decision about 40% on the fact that the candidate had kept a photocopy of her test, and when it got lost in the mail (truly it did), she could just make another copy and send it to me.

Her email being on the company website makes it completely okay. Look at the initiative you showed, answering your own question.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 09:07:09 PM »
Thank you for the replies everyone!  I just got a call today inviting me to come back for a third interview (with the Executive Director, no less!), so obviously the email didn't do any harm.  Now I have a better idea for the future about where the boundaries are. 

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 10:14:17 PM »
Yay!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Lindee

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 10:27:48 PM »
Fingers crossed for you.