Author Topic: Tipping Pizza Deliveries  (Read 2168 times)

reflection5

Tipping Pizza Deliveries
« on: April 17, 2013, 10:44:13 PM »
(I probably should have posted this in "Life in General".  Oh well, too late.)

I don’t know if this has been discussed, but I was wondering what kind of tip is considered standard for pizza (or other food) deliveries.

I tend to round up.  For example, of the total is $12.83 I give the person $15.00 and say keep the change.  If I only have a $20 bill, I ask for $5 back.  I rarely use a credit card for pizza deliveries.

I’ve seen people give $5 tip, $1 (chintzy), or if the total is $14.61 they say ‘keep the change’ (also chintzy).

I’ve also heard it’s appropriate to give a 15-20% tip pizza delivery.  The restaurant always adds a delivery charge, so any extra is for the driver, right?

Also curious – does anyone know if drivers are paid per delivery or per hour?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 10:48:27 PM by reflection5 »

NyaChan

reflection5

Re: Tipping Pizza Deliveries
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 10:52:14 PM »
oops! I should have done a search.  Thanks!  :-[

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 11:03:38 PM »
That, and if it isn't mentioned in that thread... do NOT assume the delivery charge goes to the driver. Part of it might, but probably not all of it. Maybe not even half.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 10:27:06 AM »
We do the round-up thing as well and usually add and extra dollar or two.  If the weather is bad, we throw in an extra dollar on top of that. 

As a co-worker of Mr. Thipu put it, 'Don't be cheap for a dollar'. 

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 05:44:23 PM »
I prefer to keep things simple and I don't mind paying for the convenience of someone bringing me food. So I usually tip 20% on the total bill, same as I would tip at a sit-down restaurant. It probably won't be exactly 20% because I don't like fooling with a bunch of coins, so $2.34 might get rounded up to $2.50 for example. If it's raining or something, $3.00 (i.e., a bit higher still). If they are super-slow or otherwise don't give good service I start taking money away from what I've set aside for the tip.

I can't do math quickly in my head so I have to figure out beforehand what 20% would be, then go up or down from there in small increments based on weather, service, etc. so I don't either short someone, or give a massively overinflated tip.

I usually order my food online and most restaurants explicitly state that the "delivery charge" does NOT go to the driver at all. So I figure my 20% tip based on the total, final amount that I am required to pay (food charge + tax + delivery charge).
~Lynn2000

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 05:47:29 PM »
We ordered pizza on Tuesday. We had a free pizza, and I bought another. Our total was $14, and we tipped $3, because we always tip more than $2. Depending on a larger order, such as for a party, I would tip more.

Bottlecaps

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 11:04:02 PM »
Here's a great website that answers this question, and in great detail as well. :)

http://tipthepizzaguy.com/

I personally always tip at least 20%, if not more - same as I do for a sit-down restaurant. Here, I tip more like 25-30% because the closest place that will deliver to us here in rural Alabama is about 10-15 miles away. That's quite a drive for the driver, and quite a good bit of their gas, so I always make sure to make it worth their while. (BIL/neighbor barely tips at all, and then wonders why the drivers are so much nicer to us than to him and his girlfriend, LOL - it's not like the drivers are rude to them, they just seem more excited/happy to bring food to our house than theirs, hehe.)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 11:11:13 PM by Bottlecaps »
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 11:39:12 PM »
We pay in advance with credit card. No need to tip
Except for "Work hard, be good to your mother"

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 12:06:11 AM »
There isn't a tip line when you sign the receipt?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Bottlecaps

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 12:15:15 AM »

I must ask - why do you feel there is no need to tip? Unless of course, you mean you ask them to include the tip into your total. (For example, they give you your total, tip not included, and you say, "Go ahead and run a $X tip on there, too.)

There isn't a tip line when you sign the receipt?

POD. There should be a line on the receipt for a tip. (I've always tipped cash regardless of whether I paid in advance with my card or paid cash, though. It's easier that way and gives me peace of mind.)
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

NyaChan

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 12:48:14 AM »
I pay with credit card and they allow me to tip either by entering it in online or by doing it at the door.

Jocelyn

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 12:56:44 AM »
I don't tip as much as I do in a restaurant. A server has to make multiple trips to the table to refill drinks, see if you need anything, etc. If all the server did was deliver the food, I wouldn't tip them as much as I normally do. The delivery person is also paid minimum wage, whereas a server is not.

Maggie

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 02:04:49 AM »

I am with everyone else.  Why do you feel you don't have to tip just because you paid with a credit card.  My sister delivered pizza for years and they do not get any portion of the delivery fee.  I used to think that too and she set me straight on that!

Vall

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 04:25:43 AM »
If the delivery charge doesn't pay for delivery, what exactly are you paying for?

I usually tip about 15% and round to an even dollar amount.  I tip more in especially bad weather and on busy days (day before Thanksgiving, superbowl sunday, etc).