Author Topic: Tipping Pizza Deliveries  (Read 1529 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: Tipping Pizza Deliveries
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 09:05:55 AM »
It's more a case that we don't tip here.

Bottlecaps

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 10:12:50 AM »
It's more a case that we don't tip here.

Good explanation. :) I actually thought of that after getting off of here last night, and kind of felt like a dufus because it was totally possible that you live somewhere where tipping isn't the norm. :)

I don't tip as much as I do in a restaurant. A server has to make multiple trips to the table to refill drinks, see if you need anything, etc. If all the server did was deliver the food, I wouldn't tip them as much as I normally do. The delivery person is also paid minimum wage, whereas a server is not.

Not all delivery people get paid minimum wage. :) Of course, maybe the delivery drivers at your choice pizza place do. It's just not the norm though. :)
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

NyaChan

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 10:19:11 AM »
Interesting article on delivery charges by a former pizza delivery guy:  http://consumerist.com/2010/03/30/4-myths-about-tipping-from-a-former-pizza-delivery-guy/

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 10:32:55 AM »
I generally tip $2-10 depending on distance they came, how much I ordered, etc. Last night we ordered pizza and it came to $26 and change. I gave the guy $30.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 02:20:31 PM »
I tend to tip well, whether I'm in a sit-down restaurant or ordering in. Pay in the restaurant business is seldom great.  :-\

violetminnow

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2013, 02:57:42 PM »
I do a flat rate tip. I generally tip $3 for all deliveries during normal hours (though I never get more than two medium pizzas at one time). If I order really early, really late, or if they arrive really fast I give $4/$5. I have no idea what the percentage is because I hate doing the math.

I originally based the $3 on doubling the delivery fee, so I was paying them the delivery fee directly for gas and wear on their car and half for them personally.

reflection5

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2013, 05:13:54 PM »
Got pizza today and the driver was friendly/chatty.  So I asked him a few questions (after giving him a $2.90 tip (20%) ).

They are paid hourly, minimum wage, plus $1 per trip for gas.
Delivery charge added to bill goes to the store, not the driver.
2/3 people tip - usually in range of $2 - $3.  On large (party) orders tip is usually about $5 - $6.
1/3 people don't tip and give exact dollar amount & change.
Drivers don't like to deal with coin change at all.
About 50% pay cash, 50% use crecit card.
If driver is robbed, store insurance will cover lost money and if driver injured it's covered by worker's comp.
Gas, wear & tear on car is very high.

By then pizza was getting cold, so I let him go.   :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 05:15:29 PM by reflection5 »

SiotehCat

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2013, 05:19:58 PM »
I tip $5.

NyaChan

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2013, 05:25:25 PM »
Got pizza today and the driver was friendly/chatty.  So I asked him a few questions (after giving him a $2.90 tip (20%) ).

2/3 people tip - usually in range of $2 - $3.  On large (party) orders tip is usually about $5 - $6.
If driver is robbed, store insurance will cover lost money and if driver injured it's covered by worker's comp.

Good sleuthing!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2013, 06:49:06 PM »
I discovered today that DH tips an extra $ or so if he has ugly dollar bills in his wallet. He's a sweetie.   ;D

violetminnow

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2013, 07:23:40 PM »
I discovered today that DH tips an extra $ or so if he has ugly dollar bills in his wallet. He's a sweetie.   ;D

That reminds me of this article I read recently:

http://consumerist.com/2013/04/01/we-spend-crumpled-money-faster-than-crisp-bills-because-eww-other-people-have-touched-it/

I guest many people spend their "ugly" bills fast. :)

HoneyBee42

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2013, 08:20:03 PM »
I am generous.  I'm also a regular (once a week, plus kid birthdays, plus customer appreciation day on the second Saturday of the month).  Sometimes, I order as carry out (I go there to pick it up, which I have to do on customer appreciation day as that's the rule for getting the deal).  When I order pizza delivered, I tip $5.  My order size puts that in the 20-25% range although I also frequently have a coupon that reduces the amount I pay (Last time, one free pizza, one $10 pizza, I still tipped my normal $5).

learningtofly

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2013, 09:51:57 PM »
I tip $3-$4 and I'm a two minute ride from the pizza place. I started getting a regular guy who decided that since I was so close I could be the first delivery. This was really nice and I tipped more.

Jocelyn

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2013, 10:10:38 PM »

That reminds me of this article I read recently:

http://consumerist.com/2013/04/01/we-spend-crumpled-money-faster-than-crisp-bills-because-eww-other-people-have-touched-it/

I guest many people spend their "ugly" bills fast. :)
It's only logical. Save the crisp bills for vending machines that won't accept wrinkled bills. There's no situation where wrinkled bills are more spend-able than crisp ones.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2013, 10:27:30 PM »

I wish they all were!
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture