Author Topic: You Haven't Sponsored Me Yet  (Read 4515 times)

Sparkle Star

You Haven't Sponsored Me Yet
« on: April 18, 2013, 03:56:32 AM »
A friend of mine is running the London Marathon this weekend for a charity close to his heart. (It's not to mine - I think like most charities they do good work, it's just not an organisation I have had anything to do with so have no strong feelings about.)

He has an online Just Giving page. I have chosen not to sponsor him because there are so many requests from people to do so - not just for the London Marathon but for this 10k event or that half-marathon - so I tend to pick those who are taking part to help charities I actively want to support. (If I gave just £10 each to every request since the start of the year, I would have pledged over £500 already.)

He posted a Facebook status update this morning saying 'Three days to go - excited and nervous now'. I 'liked' it. He wrote a comment that said: 'Sparkle, never mind the 'like' - you haven't sponsored me yet.'
I wasn't sure what to do so just replied: 'Haven't I?  :P'
I'm wondering if I should send him a PM explaining that while I wish him every success on Sunday, I've consciously not donated due to the sheer volume of requests recently and am being quite specific about the organisations I'm supporting.

Or do you guys think I should just leave it? I feel embarrassed now that he's called me on not sponsoring him in public.
Love, dance and chocolate fudge cake - what more do I need?

Raintree

• Super Hero!
Re: You Haven't Sponsored Me Yet
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 04:33:14 AM »
I hear you. I get all kinds of requests. While I would like to support my friends who are doing good things for charity, it just isn't possible to give for every request.

I'd probably just ignore the dig. It was quite rude of him to call you out publicly.

Or, if it makes you feel better, a PM saying, "Friend, I think it's great what you're doing; unfortunately I am unable to sponsor you at this time. Cheers!"

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 04:57:56 AM »
It was rude of him to call you out in public, but your reply implies that you *have* sponsored him, and if you actually *haven't* (and don't intend to) you shouldn't have written that.

I would PM him and say
I wish him every success on Sunday, sorry I cannot sponsor you but am cheering you on I've consciously not donated due to the sheer volume of requests recently and am being quite specific about the organisations I'm supporting.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 05:19:21 AM »
A friend of mine is running the London Marathon this weekend for a charity close to his heart. (It's not to mine - I think like most charities they do good work, it's just not an organisation I have had anything to do with so have no strong feelings about.)

He has an online Just Giving page. I have chosen not to sponsor him because there are so many requests from people to do so - not just for the London Marathon but for this 10k event or that half-marathon - so I tend to pick those who are taking part to help charities I actively want to support. (If I gave just £10 each to every request since the start of the year, I would have pledged over £500 already.)

He posted a Facebook status update this morning saying 'Three days to go - excited and nervous now'. I 'liked' it. He wrote a comment that said: 'Sparkle, never mind the 'like' - you haven't sponsored me yet.'
I wasn't sure what to do so just replied: 'Haven't I?  :P'
I'm wondering if I should send him a PM explaining that while I wish him every success on Sunday, I've consciously not donated due to the sheer volume of requests recently and am being quite specific about the organisations I'm supporting.

Or do you guys think I should just leave it? I feel embarrassed now that he's called me on not sponsoring him in public.
Have you ever sponsored him?  If so, you might point that you have, in fact, done so for such and such a race/event, while telling him that you won't be doing so this time (for whatever reason if you care to state it). 
The guy is just plain rude and even if it were a charity I wanted to donate to I would do so directly and not by sponsoring him.  He may lose a lot of potential sponsors with his smart remark.
In any case, people who see his rudeness will think ill of him and not of you and may decide to not sponsor him, and that is unfortunate and could cost the charity donations. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 05:22:04 AM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Margo

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 05:50:53 AM »
I don't think that saying 'haven't I' implies that you have, but I think it could be read as implying that you indended to and had simply overlooked it,so he may assume that you are now planing to sponsor him, and may 'remind' you again.

Whether you respond further is up to you. It was very rude of him to single you out like that - if I saw someone had posted that (whether about me or anyone else) It would *really* put me off sponsoring them for anything at all.

I don't thik it would be out of line to PM him and say "I didn't want to call you out in public, but I I felt it was really inappropiate of you to try to pressure me into sponsoring you by putting my name on your facebook page in the way that you did. I wish you evey sucess on Subnday, but I am not able to sponsor you. Please don't do this again"   depending on how well you now him, you could also tell him that his pressure and 'name and shame' technique actually measn you are now *less* likely either to sponsor him or support his chosen charity, in future.

CakeEater

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 06:29:28 AM »
I doubt he was 'calling you out'. Sounds like a tongue in cheek comment to me, and I would ignore the whole thing and carry on as though nothing had happened.

Waterlight

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 06:52:06 AM »
I don't thik it would be out of line to PM him and say "I didn't want to call you out in public, but I I felt it was really inappropiate of you to try to pressure me into sponsoring you by putting my name on your facebook page in the way that you did. I wish you evey sucess on Subnday, but I am not able to sponsor you. Please don't do this again"   depending on how well you now him, you could also tell him that his pressure and 'name and shame' technique actually measn you are now *less* likely either to sponsor him or support his chosen charity, in future.

POD.  And for future requests--from him or anyone else--something like "Sorry, I've already allocated my contributions to charity for this year" will work when you don't want to contribute.
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 07:35:34 AM »
I would "unlike" his post and delete the comment and pretend I never saw the status.  If he persists, just a simple "sponsoring you isn't going to be possible" should suffice. 

spookycatlady

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 07:55:20 AM »
My reaction would also have been to unlike the status.  And I would probably opt for digital silence if asked or shamed about it again publically.  If he were to ask privately, "I felt a bit weird about being called out like that. I'm very private about charities and donations.  I really hope you do well, though."

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 08:16:20 AM »
If he brings it up "I get 10-20 of these requests a year.  What I do is choose the charities that I am interested in concentrating on and contribute to those. I wish you the best of luck!"

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 08:49:32 AM »
POD to unliking the post.  I think what he did was rude.  You were supporting him by liking his post and therefore bringing additional attention to his endeavor. Other than that - I'm in favor of a "complete silence" response.

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

amylouky

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 09:20:39 AM »
I probably would have replied with "Sorry, can't sponsor.. doesn't moral support count?"

I think he was rude to call you out but tone is very hard to get on the internet, it could have been meant in a joking way.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 09:37:47 AM »
You could reply telling him that your funds were all eaten up by donations to the "Teach My Friends Basic Etiquette" Foundation.

I guess not, eh?  Anyway, just unlike and ignore, and if you're pressed by him privately tell him that you've reached your donation limit for the time being.

Virg

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 11:10:15 AM »
I think you opened the door by clicking "like."

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 11:15:45 AM »
Ignore it.

I don't think you did anything wrong by liking a status about his excitement for the marathon, but I do think it would have been better to ignore his comment about your lack of sponsorship.  At this point though, I don't think you owe him any explanation nor do I think giving him one will matter.  Whether he was calling you out in public or just joking is irrelevent.  This is a subject that hopefully neither of you ever bring up again.