General Etiquette > Family and Children

What to do when your mom is constantly rude?!?!

(1/4) > >>

courtsmad25:
B/G My mom and I just got home from a very small family reunion late last evening.. I am in my mid-thirties and my mom is in her early 60's...I noticed in this trip that she was constantly rude with people. It was anything from cutting in lines to running red lights (I know THAT was dangerous)..and all sorts of little things in between. Once or twice I'd mention to her "mom, that was kind of rude" and her response was "well, I'm *moms name* so it doesn't apply to me"... I asked my sister if she has noticed anything recently and she said that mom will go to random people and tell them how they need to raise their kids. I have noticed that she has become much more self centered in the past few years, and I don't know if this is an organic change such as Alzheimer's or dementia.

So, what do you do when your mother is perpetually rude? Do you apologize on her behalf? Do you tell her she was rude? any or all advice is welcomed

BeagleMommy:
Since this seems like new behavior to you I would suggest talking with her about seeing a doctor for an evaluation.

courtsmad25:
Thank you Beagle Mommy... I was going to bring it up with my dad and see if he'd be willing to talk to her doctor..

otterwoman:
I was typing out what BeagleMommy wrote. See if you can take her to her doctor and tell the doctor what you and your sister have noticed. If she flat out refuses to go then you may want to consider calling the Motor Vehicle department or local police department about having her license pulled before she kills someone while driving.

Cami:
Sadly, that type of change in behavior is a tell-tale sign of dementia, Alzheimer's or a stroke. She needs an eval pronto.

--- Quote from: otterwoman on April 18, 2013, 12:06:57 PM ---I was typing out what BeagleMommy wrote. See if you can take her to her doctor and tell the doctor what you and your sister have noticed. If she flat out refuses to go then you may want to consider calling the Motor Vehicle department or local police department about having her license pulled before she kills someone while driving.

--- End quote ---
The DMV will not pull someone's license on the say-so of another person. There must be verifiable proof of long-term incapacity. And that still won't prevent her from actually driving unless the vehicle is gone or the keys unavailable to her.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version