Author Topic: When Natural or Man-Made Disasters Happen...  (Read 1573 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
When Natural or Man-Made Disasters Happen...
« on: April 18, 2013, 01:17:44 PM »
Do you find yourself reading everything you can?

Or are you like me?  I will read a story or two about what happened, scan headlines for any significant updates and then only read the personal interest stories, like the ones that talk about the extraordinary things ordinary people do.  Or even the people who just go on with what they would have been doing, trying to provide a sense of normalcy.

I just can't take reading the bad news over and over again; I can't watch the news coverage, either.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

magicdomino

Re: When Natural or Man-Made Disasters Happen...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 01:32:44 PM »
I try not to pay too much attention when the event first happens.  News networks are so desparate for new information that they grasp even the thinnest straws.  Often those straws prove untrue.  So, I'll watch (or read) long enough to get a good idea of what happened, then wait until the next morning to read details.     By that time, the worst of the red herrings have been discarded.

Hm, I just mixed my cliches, didn't I?   ;)

EllenS

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 01:38:04 PM »
I deal with it by checking quickly/occasionally to see if there is something concrete and specific I can do to help.  If there is something practical I can do (such as sending care packages, donating blood, etc) I do that.  I am religious, so I pray because I believe that does help also.

Otherwise, to me looking at news coverage or personal stories just sends my brain "danger" signals that I can't do anything about, and I get anxiety/depression symptoms  (nightmares, etc.). 

mmswm

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 01:54:21 PM »
I'm a news junkie, though even I have my limits.  When something major happens, I'm likely to turn each of several TV's to different stations and bounce from room to room listening to the different angles on the story. I also tend to read nearly everything that comes out, though depending on the event, I drop to scanning the headlines for major developments after the first few hours or days.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 02:37:09 PM »
During the first day or so, I read pretty much everything I come across. After a couple of days pass I mostly stick to just the major stories. Reading pretty much everything about the Boston Marathon bombing on Monday caused me to see a picture that I probably would have been better off not seeing. I can actually deal with blood and gore, but the fact that the guy was still conscious and might die was quite bothersome. I've since read that he did not die and is now in stable condition, but his life will never be the same.  :-\

Part of the impetus to read everything out there is a strong interest in how the event happened. If I had to choose another career, I would probably go into some branch of forensics or accident reconstruction/investigation.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Jones

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 02:41:46 PM »
The last few disasters I've waited a day or so, then read about it. I get tired of the constant "Wait--that was wrong, HERE'S the fact" and three news stories that contradict each other. With the Boston Bombing, it's taking more than the day, and it's emotionally rather draining as I bounce back and forth. I may pull away again for another couple days; not out of disrespect, but because I want the facts.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 02:48:42 PM »
I have a much easier time reading about natural disasters for some reason.  I think its because I can't even wrap my head around someone deciding to do something so evil.  I read a lot about Monday in the hours after it happened but I've kind of stopped because I feel like there's just too much misinformation out there right now (and I've seen too many people say, "Wait, the guy in this picture is looking the other way.  IT MUST BE HIM!!!!  I don't know how many of you remember Richard Jewel but I'd hate for that to be repeated.)  So I'm taking a break from the media.

I couldn't and still can't read much about the Sandy Hook tragedy.  It just hurts too much to think about it at all.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 02:58:25 PM »
Heh - I thought this thread was going to be more about what one can do and not about how people view them.  It was a nice surprise!   ;D

For me, I like to gobble up information as it comes in.  I love live feeds and 24 hour news channels.  I do stick to NBC/MSNBC because they seem to have the best information (re: Boston Bombing - MSNBC was the only channel that said that an arrest was not being made while CNN/other channels were saying that there was an arrest as were other networks) and I really like the anchors they have on there.  Save for the morning shows - anything after 9 am is really good to me.  Although, Morning Joe without Joe is really nice as Mika runs the show with a better tone than Joe does.  Just my opinion though.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Amara

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 03:26:22 PM »
I don't own a television nor do I listen to the radio. But even online I ignore most news so many things pass me by. The few I do learn about (like the Boston marathon tragedy or 9/11) I often learn about a day or two later. I will read one article, maybe, then see an occasional headline. But I never follow anything. And I almost never look at photos and definitely never video.

The reason for that is that I am very sensitive. I tend to get overwhelmed and depressed by things like these that are true tragedies yet out of my control. I feel my life get overtaken by these feelings, and I cannot function well like that. Since I prefer to have a positive outlook, and since I like to act in my own community to make things better, I simply skip over everything else. 

magician5

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 03:39:31 PM »
After the initial news story, usually there's little more to say other than "we don't know who, why, how, or anything else ... here's our correspondent to tell you that we don't know." And then there's the immediate flood of idle speculation, rumors later proven false, statements by the Mayor or Governor about how awful it is, and a network special re-stating that we don't know.

The worst thing, to me, is the inevitable sticking of a camera in front of a victim's grieving family and asking them intrusive questions.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 04:16:32 PM »
Richard Jewel

He died today, by the way.

EllenS

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 04:36:55 PM »
DottyG??

From Wikipedia: "Jewell died August 29, 2007, from natural causes at the age of 44. He was suffering from severe heart disease, kidney disease, and diabetes"

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 04:59:22 PM »
Hmmm...odd.  Because they just announced it this morning on the radio.  No clue why.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 05:01:29 PM by DottyG »

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 10:16:43 AM »
I like to keep on top of things but I don't put much credence in early reports. 

We learned about this on 9/11. At the time, we were on a ship in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, and the ship was outside the CNN footprint.  By the time the ship hooked up an ABC News web feed, many of the wilder rumors had been filtered out. 

It wasn't until we docked in Scotland that we heard about the reports of all of Manhattan being in flames. 

When we were in London during Superstorm Sandy, there were equally wild reports.  Local people didn't realize that not all of NYC is Manhattan.  The parts of NYC most badly affected were right on the beach and not what most people would think of NYC at all.  That those areas were hit hard was a terrible thing but it didn't surprise us at all. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 10:37:56 AM »
Hmmm...odd.  Because they just announced it this morning on the radio.  No clue why.

A good example, probably, of how information gets mangled in emergencies. Someone at the station likely thought Jewell's story was relevant, and sent someone to get information on him. That person came back and reported he was dead, which someone else then thought meant "he just died".
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."