Author Topic: When Natural or Man-Made Disasters Happen...  (Read 1601 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: When Natural or Man-Made Disasters Happen...
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 01:41:25 PM »
After the initial news story, usually there's little more to say other than "we don't know who, why, how, or anything else ... here's our correspondent to tell you that we don't know." And then there's the immediate flood of idle speculation, rumors later proven false, statements by the Mayor or Governor about how awful it is, and a network special re-stating that we don't know.

The worst thing, to me, is the inevitable sticking of a camera in front of a victim's grieving family and asking them intrusive questions.

I agree with everything you said, particularly the bolded. Great inciteful question: Are you sad about what just happened? G-r-r-r-r

MOM21SON

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 01:51:08 PM »
Sorry, I did not see this before I started my thread.

I have been watching all day.  I need to quit!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 01:56:07 PM »
^ No worries.

With all the stuff happening this week, I just thought it would be interesting to discuss how we all deal with these things.

I just get myself all worked up if I read/watch everything I can.  So I've learned to just read what I need to be informed and then just read the human interest pieces.  I find it cathartic to cry at the good in people, dealing with tragedy.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

mmswm

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 02:29:46 PM »
My household is back to 5 different news channels on 5 different tv's.  We're pretty much hopeless.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

MOM21SON

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 05:00:33 PM »
My household is back to 5 different news channels on 5 different tv's.  We're pretty much hopeless.

lol.  I stepped out for about an hour but check my phone 900 times for breaking news.

Back home, on the computer with the tv blaring.  Phone and Ipod within reach.

So, yeah, I am hopeless too.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
I try to not hear much news at all. It really bothers me and brings me down. At most I glance through the headlines on one news site once or twice a day, but rarely click to read anything further. I have the things that I am always doing on a regular basis to make things better and I have to believe that they will help. I really dislike how the news channels hype everything and run every story to the ground because they have so much time to fill, and everyone wants to be the first to say something that turns out to be correct, even if it was wild speculation when they actually said it.

That being said every once in a while I will glom onto a story and follow it closely, mostly online. I have to admit that sometimes that makes me feel better, like I'm somehow in control of it. But I don't think I could do that with everything, it would just be too much.
~Lynn2000

AngelicGamer

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 05:34:47 PM »

lol.  I stepped out for about an hour but check my phone 900 times for breaking news.

I'll join the both of you in being hopeless.  My phone is in reach for both BBC News and CNN News while the TV stays on MSNBC.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

mmswm

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 07:38:21 PM »

I'll join the both of you in being hopeless.  My phone is in reach for both BBC News and CNN News while the TV stays on MSNBC.

We've passed the hopelessness onto the next generation.  The kids are not normally allowed to eat in the living room.  That rule has been suspended for the kids that want to watch the coverage.  All of them are camped out on the floor with their suppers on paper plates, quietly engrossed in what's on the tv.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Minmom3

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2013, 12:23:40 AM »
Hmmm...odd.  Because they just announced it this morning on the radio.  No clue why.

I didn't hear that he died, but his name came up because NPR was discussing the released pictures of #1 and #2, and stating that the government now tends to be a lot more careful about releasing pictures and jumping to conclusions about the status and importance of the pictured person, because Jewel's life was pretty much ruined due to the way his picture and name were attached to the Atlanta bombing.  Telling people that somebody else was actually the person they wanted, once they figured that out, and even after the real man was convicted, didn't remedy the damage done to Jewel life. 
Mother to children and fuzz butts....