Author Topic: Where to eat in Houston  (Read 2156 times)

lowspark

Re: Where to eat in Houston
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 11:35:57 AM »
Ah! The Breakfast Klub! Yes. They have really good catfish and chicken & waffles. Don't be intimidated by the line to get in -- it moves quickly.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 12:07:02 PM »
We obviously need a "Foodie Houston - Where did you eat today" board.

Les Givral's Sandwich & Café does have great Bahn Mi's. Great suggestion.

Flying Saucer is fun and close to downtown.

Venturing further from the downtown area:
Hey Merchant on Washington that has a wonderful beer selection and really good food. Great burger and a fried crawfish sandwich that is really good.

There is also a place on Washington called Max's Wine Dive with a good wine selection and upscale 'comfort food'.

Gatlin's BBQ is considered some of the best in Houston. Only open nights till 7pm close Mondays.

For Americanized Pizza, I like Starr http://starpizza.net/
and Luigi's http://www.luigipizzamidtown.com/

I wish I could recommend a Chicken Fried Steak place to you but the ones I like are too far from the downtown area to make even a cab ride feasible. But I think everyone who visits Texas should try one.

Hope you have a good time.

lowspark

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 12:51:37 PM »
We obviously need a "Foodie Houston - Where did you eat today" board.

ITA!

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 01:02:24 PM »
I can't believe I forgot Treebeards!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 09:44:39 PM »
Oh, no!  I'm going to be in Georgia and MISS this delightful treat (but at least I know it's going to be here, unlike some events that I find out about a month later.....). 

Patrick Stewart?  Original cast from Battlestar Galactica?  Gah......

On the other hand, I'm going to the Atlanta Renn Faire with Ambrosia Hino, Wonderful SIL, and the wonderful DGS (I admit it, I am slightly biased).  And I can't be at both, since neither Scotty nor DeFarge are available to beam me anywhere........
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2013, 01:52:41 AM »
You got some great suggestions so far! I second Ninfa's on Navigation (which, by the way, in addition to having great TexMex has a really good burger!), El Tiempo and El Real. Also Bombay Pizza.

<Snipped>

Have fun! If you do get a chance to venture outside of downtown, you will get a very different feel of what Houston is. Downtown is only a very small part of this huge city.

I'm really beginning to wish that I was going for more than a week.  It's going to be really hard to decide what to try out, everyone's been so generous with their time in making recommendations.  Thank you!  I'm adding all these to my list.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

starry diadem

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2013, 02:08:06 AM »
Another really excellent steak restaurant is Churrasco's. It's not too far away from downtown, but it will be a cab ride away (the location I've always been to is on
<snip>

The Medical Center itself is not that exciting, but there are some things very close to it that are fun. The Museum District has the Houston Museum of Natural Science, the Museum of Fine Arts Houston (as well as a few other other museums), and the Houston Zoo. All of those are well worth a visit if you have time, and all are within an easy walk of a light rail station.

<snip>

As a general thing, Asian food of all varieties tends to be really good in Houston (since there are a lot of immigrants from various countries in Asia who live there).

I am definitely going to the Natural Science museum.  They have the permanent Faberge exhibition and the Empress Josephine Tiara.  I would walk on hot coals to see that one -- it's one of the great named tiaras that shouldn't be missed.   I may even be slightly more excited about seeing the tiara than I am about doing the convention! 
(The reason my user name is Starry Diadem is because when I joined Live Journal, years ago, the user name Tiara was taken.  I adore tiaras.  I have over 40 Pinterest boards just devoted to tiaras  - http://pinterest.com/starrydiadem/ - and that's before we start on crowns, diadems, decorative combs and hair ornaments... and definitely before we get started on other forms of haute joaillerie and glittery fripperies.  My Pinterest site is a homage to big bling.)

Thank you for the food suggestions, too.  My list gets ever longer and we'll have loads to choose from.

starry diadem

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2013, 02:20:36 AM »
Yes! The Vietnamese sandwiches! Les Givrals in Midtown is a good one. Really cheap and really good.
http://www.lesgivrals.com/1.html

Cool!  Added to my list...  Thank you! 

starry diadem

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2013, 02:22:27 AM »
I second these suggestions! May I add the Breakfast Klub. I don't like catfish but I like it here. It is on Travis and may be a long walk if a cab is not found.

I really love Beaver's. If the Velvet Elvis cupcake is on the menu, get it! It is a red velvet cupcake with banana filling and topped with peanut butter frosting. The waitstaff are awesome and I can honestly say I've never had a bad meal there.

That cupcake sounds awesome!  That's definitely on the list as I have a sweet tooth that would win gold medals for England.  Thank you!

starry diadem

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2013, 02:24:36 AM »
Oh, no!  I'm going to be in Georgia and MISS this delightful treat (but at least I know it's going to be here, unlike some events that I find out about a month later.....). 

Patrick Stewart?  Original cast from Battlestar Galactica?  Gah......

On the other hand, I'm going to the Atlanta Renn Faire with Ambrosia Hino, Wonderful SIL, and the wonderful DGS (I admit it, I am slightly biased).  And I can't be at both, since neither Scotty nor DeFarge are available to beam me anywhere........

I couldn't resist.  It was flattering to be asked to do the panel anyway, but when they threw Richard Hatch. Dirk Benedict and ComicPalooza into the mix... well, I was lost and was straight onto the internet buying my flight.  Ten hours each way, and it will still be worth it!

Have a good time at the Faire!

lowspark

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 04:38:26 PM »
So how was your visit? Tell us all about it! I hope you had a great time!