Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

How much would you order?

(1/8) > >>

Piratelvr1121:
Okay, on Mother's Day, my youngest is getting baptized.   My best friend is coming out by train the day before, and the day of my IL's and brother are coming over for the service and we invited them for lunch afterwards.   

I've decided against going out to eat for lunch (I didn't say we'd be going out, just that we'd be doing lunch) since Sundays usually mean packed restaurants as it is and this will be Mother's Day so it'll be even harder to find a place that doesn't have an hour wait to just be seated. 

I figured instead we'd get something from Subway, like some kind of platter or one of their party subs.   Now, I've never ordered their subs before and want to be sure there's enough. I'm really not worried about getting too much though since that would mean leftovers for DH while bff, the boys and I will be gone.

I know there's definitely going to be 8 people.  Our 5+bff+brother+MIL.   I don't know if FIL is coming or if brother's gf is coming, but want to order with the assumption that they are because heck, if they're not, it's just more leftovers.   No one has any food allergies, thankfully, so that makes ordering easy.

So, what would e-hellions suggest?   I looked up on Subway's website to see you can either get the long party subs or a platter of sandwiches to offer more of a variety.  I'm going to order it two days ahead and pick it up the day before.

QueenfaninCA:
This is probably not what you would like to hear, but if I am invited to lunch on the occasion of your child's baptism and you are serving me day-old sandwiches, I'd not be a happy camper. Yes, it's mother's day, but I'd really search for a restaurant where you can get a reservation or find a way to serve a real meal (either home-cooked or catered).

Outdoor Girl:
Yeah, day-old Subway wouldn't be very appetizing to me.

You'd be better off picking up, the day before, some nice buns, cold cuts, various condiments, maybe some prepared salads like coleslaw and potato salad and doing lunch that way.  The sandwiches would be fresh and you could still avoid the busy restaurants.

If it is a cool day, you could toss a pan of lasagna in the oven, make a tossed salad, have a nice crusty loaf of bread.

Or a big slow cooker pot of chili or soup, with salad and bread.

Roe:

--- Quote from: Outdoor Girl on April 18, 2013, 08:56:47 PM ---Yeah, day-old Subway wouldn't be very appetizing to me.

You'd be better off picking up, the day before, some nice buns, cold cuts, various condiments, maybe some prepared salads like coleslaw and potato salad and doing lunch that way.  The sandwiches would be fresh and you could still avoid the busy restaurants.

--- End quote ---

We did sandwiches for the family after my son's Communion but we used fresh meat and ingredients.  My SIL's kept saying how great the sandwiches tasted and how when you make one at home, they aren't anything special but when you make them using high quality bread, meats, cheese and condiments, it makes all the difference in the world.  We also had sides like macaroni salad, potato salad, potato chips and a soup. (forgot the kind of soup)

Plus, of course, the Communion cake and vanilla ice cream. 

We avoided busy restaurants and we avoided a high restaurant bill for 30 people.

So if you want to do sandwiches, I'd go with Outdoor Girl's suggestion.  Day old Subway just doesn't sound appetizing and it'll probably taste worse than it sounds. 

Sharnita:
Another option might be pulled pork from a meat market or deli - you could heat it in a roaster, serve it with buns, bbq sauce, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version