Author Topic: How much would you order?  (Read 5640 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
How much would you order?
« on: April 18, 2013, 08:33:04 PM »
Okay, on Mother's Day, my youngest is getting baptized.   My best friend is coming out by train the day before, and the day of my IL's and brother are coming over for the service and we invited them for lunch afterwards.   

I've decided against going out to eat for lunch (I didn't say we'd be going out, just that we'd be doing lunch) since Sundays usually mean packed restaurants as it is and this will be Mother's Day so it'll be even harder to find a place that doesn't have an hour wait to just be seated. 

I figured instead we'd get something from Subway, like some kind of platter or one of their party subs.   Now, I've never ordered their subs before and want to be sure there's enough. I'm really not worried about getting too much though since that would mean leftovers for DH while bff, the boys and I will be gone.

I know there's definitely going to be 8 people.  Our 5+bff+brother+MIL.   I don't know if FIL is coming or if brother's gf is coming, but want to order with the assumption that they are because heck, if they're not, it's just more leftovers.   No one has any food allergies, thankfully, so that makes ordering easy.

So, what would e-hellions suggest?   I looked up on Subway's website to see you can either get the long party subs or a platter of sandwiches to offer more of a variety.  I'm going to order it two days ahead and pick it up the day before.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

QueenfaninCA

Re: How much would you order?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 08:48:40 PM »
This is probably not what you would like to hear, but if I am invited to lunch on the occasion of your child's baptism and you are serving me day-old sandwiches, I'd not be a happy camper. Yes, it's mother's day, but I'd really search for a restaurant where you can get a reservation or find a way to serve a real meal (either home-cooked or catered).

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 08:56:47 PM »
Yeah, day-old Subway wouldn't be very appetizing to me.

You'd be better off picking up, the day before, some nice buns, cold cuts, various condiments, maybe some prepared salads like coleslaw and potato salad and doing lunch that way.  The sandwiches would be fresh and you could still avoid the busy restaurants.

If it is a cool day, you could toss a pan of lasagna in the oven, make a tossed salad, have a nice crusty loaf of bread.

Or a big slow cooker pot of chili or soup, with salad and bread.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 09:17:36 PM »
Yeah, day-old Subway wouldn't be very appetizing to me.

You'd be better off picking up, the day before, some nice buns, cold cuts, various condiments, maybe some prepared salads like coleslaw and potato salad and doing lunch that way.  The sandwiches would be fresh and you could still avoid the busy restaurants.

We did sandwiches for the family after my son's Communion but we used fresh meat and ingredients.  My SIL's kept saying how great the sandwiches tasted and how when you make one at home, they aren't anything special but when you make them using high quality bread, meats, cheese and condiments, it makes all the difference in the world.  We also had sides like macaroni salad, potato salad, potato chips and a soup. (forgot the kind of soup)

Plus, of course, the Communion cake and vanilla ice cream. 

We avoided busy restaurants and we avoided a high restaurant bill for 30 people.

So if you want to do sandwiches, I'd go with Outdoor Girl's suggestion.  Day old Subway just doesn't sound appetizing and it'll probably taste worse than it sounds. 

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 09:21:41 PM »
Another option might be pulled pork from a meat market or deli - you could heat it in a roaster, serve it with buns, bbq sauce, etc.

POF

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 09:25:19 PM »
We've done a sandwich spread before and it was really well received.

Several kinds of rolls and unusual bread. Small rolls etc. worked great so folks could have one or two

We bought Boars Head brand Deli meats. Ham, Turkey, a couple spicy ones.  also some chicken salad and seafood salad.

Toppings included sliced olives, onions, peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, cranberry relish, heat and eat bacon, mayo etc.  We put them out in some small nice bowls with spoons.

To go with, homemade broccoli salad, potato salad and fruit salad.

All of this will be much cheaper, tastier and still easy than buting subway.  Use nice paper plates and no clean up.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 09:30:42 PM »
I like subway, but I agree it may not be good the next day.  If you can't pick it up on the actually day of the party, the suggestion of making your own is good.  Or you can make a simple pasta dish served with rolls and salad.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 09:55:37 PM »

I like subway, and often have lunch there.

But I agree day old subway subs would be pretty nasty - damp, soggy bread that's stale at the edges, and limp vegetables, cheese that's going slightly mushy.

I think you can phone in the order, and then you could pick it up between the baptism and lunch. I'd avoid the saucy subs (meatball, etc) ones that are intended to be eaten hot (steak and cheese) and tuna. Stick with the cold meat variations.

I'd go for a 12 inch sub per person if you have reasonable sides - chips, veggies and dip, some dessert, etc. Get a couple extra if you've got heavy eaters.

An option that would work better to pick up the next day would be to stop at Costco the evening before and get rolls, veggie, sliced meat and cheese trays, some squares or cookies, dip and a bag or two of chips. Provide butter and mustard, and maybe a jar of sliced pickles, and you've got a much fresher meal.

kudeebee

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 01:12:05 AM »
If you want subway, why not get everyone's order ahead of time and then send dh out to get them while you set up the rest of the meal?

Or order takeout from Olive Garden, Applebees or similar restaurant and have dh pick it up while you get everyone settled and last minute lunch details done?

Or get sandwich trays from the grocery store.

Please don't serve day old sandwiches.  They will look awful and not taste very good.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 01:36:31 AM »
A baptism is a very special occasion.  Unless your family is uber casual, I would find subway to be unfitting to the occasion. You can get Subway any old day.  Fresh cold cuts, buns, pickles, salads etc would be more appropriate. 

Library Dragon

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 01:47:11 AM »
When DS1 was baptized the 6' sub was THE thing in DH's family. 

When DS2 was baptized I went another direction: Subtantial pasta salads.  Easy to make the day before.  We also had a cold cut platter and breads. 

Serve what is easy for you and your guests will enjoy.  If you go with Subway I would suggest the assorted platter.  Their size suggestions are pretty spot on. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 06:25:26 AM »
Thanks for the input. :)  I think I'll look into calling it in the day before and then running out to pick it up the day of.  Or getting the fixings and laying them out so they can make a sandwich themselves  Knowing those who are coming, I don't think they'd really want to wait around an hour or so to be seated in a restaurant.  We've tried to go out to eat around here when it's Mother's Day and it was a zoo and service was slow. 

When DS1 was baptized the 6' sub was THE thing in DH's family. 

When DS2 was baptized I went another direction: Subtantial pasta salads.  Easy to make the day before.  We also had a cold cut platter and breads. 

Serve what is easy for you and your guests will enjoy.  If you go with Subway I would suggest the assorted platter.  Their size suggestions are pretty spot on. 

Ooh, thanks! :)

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 10:52:43 AM »
Day-old sandwiches are what you eat to keep from being inconveniently hungry. They're not what you eat for the pleasure of the experience.

I agree that if possible, buy the fixings the day before, and let people put them together the day of. It'll probably be just as easy, and maybe even a bit less expensive.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 11:27:27 AM »
I would agree with this. 

A platter of fresh meat and cheese with deli salads and interesting breads (marble rye comes to mind) can easily be assembled and makes a festive display. 

If you want to get things ready a day or two ahead, how about a pot of chili with some good bread and a tossed salad? 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 09:38:52 PM »
The rehearsal dinner for Baby Bro at Lil Sis's house was two different lasagnas (frozen - but a good brand - she had a double oven - so lots of cooking space) from her oven, garlic bread, salad (assembled from packaged ready-to-eat lettuce and various add ons), and iced tea. 

I don't know how long it takes to go through the baptismal service (different churches take different times) - but if you could set up the oven with frozen lasagnas on a timer to have them "done" about half an hour after you get home, it could work.  Garlic bread can be slid into the oven to heat while the table is being set, the lasagna(s) are being scored to indicate how much is "a serving" (helpful it the package says that it is ten servings but you know a couple of the family members love lasagna so much that they are called "Garfield" as a joke), and the salad makings can be tossed together quickly, too.

If you drink wine - a glass for everyone would be a special touch.  If you don't - peach or other flavored "fancy" tea might work. 

Spaghetti and meatballs (or meat sauce) are also easy to make mostly ahead of time - just have boiling water ready to put cooked spaghetti in for two minutes to reheat, strain, and put on the table with sauce & meatballs from a crockpot. 

I've also seen a baked spaghetti & chicken "casserole"......

But Subway is not quite "Mothers' Day", even if it is easier on Mother.......unless somebody picks it up on the way home so that they are "fresh" - and I'd go for the six foot sub of cold cuts to be sliced off......although it is very casual (last time I saw one at a party at a private, it was a single guy doing the hosting).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?