Author Topic: How much would you order?  (Read 6465 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: How much would you order?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 10:13:50 PM »
Well the service starts at 10:15 and we usually don't get home till around noon and I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the oven on when no one was home, honestly. 

We do drink wine, but will not serve it at this because IL's and my brother will be driving an hour out and my friend, sons and I will be driving down to Assateague that day.  My IL's will want to be heading home around 2, and I'm sure my brother has plans to spend time with our mother that day (he's still living with them though I'm estranged from them) And if his gf comes, she'll probably want to get back in time to be with her mother as well.  Which is why I set the invitation being from 10-2.  Well that and because we want to be sure that we have enough daylight to set up our tents in.

Our family is honestly not really that fancy and this is going to be a relatively small get together since we don't have a big house.  We didn't even do all that much after our older two were baptized.  There was a sandwich layout at the church (different church) as well as a cake, so no one is going to expect a fancy thing.  And Parish Life at our current church always has a cake ordered for the baptism.

I think I will go for the sandwiches still and if we do go with Subway, I'll pick it up after church so they'll be fresh.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Library Dragon

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 11:48:25 PM »
That sounds good.  You've taken into account who your guests are and what they like.  My prayers and hugs for your litte one with a big "Welcome to the family."

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 08:32:12 AM »
That sounds good.  You've taken into account who your guests are and what they like.  My prayers and hugs for your litte one with a big "Welcome to the family."

Thank you! :) I'm looking forward to it.  :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 11:12:08 AM »
I agree. I actually like 'old' sandwiches if they are done properly, like dense/coarse bread, and veggies on the side.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 02:11:40 PM »
Given the update on the size of the house and the preference for casual - I'd go for a selection of sandwiches from Subway, too.

Either get everyone's preference from them the day before to order on the phone and then pick them up, or order a tray or two the night before.

One foot long per person should take care of everyone, just have them all cut into halves (or even thirds, for the oldest and youngest members of the group) and then let people pick & choose a couple of smaller pieces that they want to try.  If there are two teenagers - get one extra foot long.....but unless you have any athletes eating 3000 calories a day, 9 foot long sandwiches, plus chips, maybe cookies, and drinks, should get everyone enough to eat for one meal!

The teenagers will scavenge anything left over after the grandparents eat, I've noticed, as long as it is still sitting on a serving tray, instead of someone's plate.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 02:13:28 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2013, 04:08:19 PM »
Given the update on the size of the house and the preference for casual - I'd go for a selection of sandwiches from Subway, too.

I completely agree, so long as your picking up the sandwiches the day of, not the day before.

It sounds like a more casual affair where the need is to feed people "something" before they go off to other functions. I think Subway is a perfect menu plan for this. It's not overly filling, but it satisfies the need to eat.

I suggest that you contact your local Subway, several days in advance, and ask them what their recommendations are. In my experience (I've ordered large food menus from them twice) they are pretty good with their calculations as to how much food for the age group/party style that you need.

Ask them about their sandwich trays (usually 3-inch subs) and the price difference from ordering several foot-long subs. I'm thinking that a variety of 3-inch subs is the way to go.

Ask them about the freshness of the sandwiches . . . how far in advance will the sandwiches be made prior to your pick-up time.

I say calling them several days in advance is a wise/kindness move just so that the restaurant has a heads-up on a large order, especially since it's a "holiday."

With your guests, I don't think that I would take orders for what they want to eat. I think that a variety of your choosing (a few veggie, beef, turkey, etc.) should please everyone.

Maybe add some salads (potato, coleslaw, pasta salad, picked up the day before) and some chips (from Subway) and you're good to go!

Good luck! Please let us know how your party went.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 04:14:19 PM by jpcher »

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2013, 04:33:38 PM »
Well no teenagers, just two preteens who are starting towards that trend of "eating everything not nailed down."

Basically the breakdown of the ages is as such:

Kids
Piratebabe will be 18m, his brothers 12 and 10.5.   

Adults
2 mid 20's
2 mid 30's
3 in their 50's

Luckily no one is picky or a vegetarian so that really makes ordering quite easy.  Even Piratebabe will eat anything you put in front of him.  I will call Subway at least a week in advance, maybe more, just to get an idea of the pricing.  I was thinking of going the way of sandwich trays, from looking on their website, to offer a variety. 

Adding salads and sides would be good too, and as I will be doing my usual grocery shopping on Fridays I could pick those up then like chips and cole slaw or potato salad as well as a variety of 2L's. 

MOM21SON

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2013, 04:36:31 PM »
I have had platters from Subway before and they are quite good.  Our local grocery stores do them as well.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 10:10:14 AM »
If you wanted to go even cheaper than Subway, make your own sandwich platters.    For just 8 people, this is really not difficult to pull together.

I did this exact lunch after church this past February.  Easy peasy to prepare and set up even for 20 guests and it's nicely casual.

Buy:

1 1/2 pounds each of ham, turkey (or any other combination of deli meats) for a total of 3 pounds.   
1 pound of Swiss cheese or 1/2 pound each of Swiss and American cheeses. 
A dozen Keiser rolls
Head of lettuce
2 tomatoes
Fruit:  Pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, apples, peaches, pomegranate, mandarin oranges, banana
Dozen eggs
Shredded cabbage/one onion/ one green pepper

The day before make

Fruit Salad - I throw all kinds of fruits, as many as I can, in mine.
Deviled Eggs
No Mayo Cole Slaw (I've posted the recipe to this category in recent months)...super easy to make.
Either make or buy a dessert.   For informal lunches, cupcakes cookies or brownies go over well.

Day of Event:   Morning before church arrange meat and cheeses on a rectangular platter, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.   Slice tomatoes and leaf the lettuce and arrange on tray.  Cover and refrigerate.   Set out plastic ware and plates.

Go to church..afterwards put out eat and cheese platter rolls into a large bowl, put out side dishes,  say grace and dig in.   

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 11:35:52 AM »
Okay, I priced the subs and platters.  I think I'll go with the idea of making up our own sandwich platters.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2013, 11:59:48 AM »
I like Miss Jeanne's suggestion.  I do have a question, though.  Why only a dozen buns for 20 people?

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2013, 12:11:22 PM »
If you are making your own sandwiches I love the following:
One roast supermarket chicken chilled and then all the meat taken off in slices or shredded(in my neck of the wood this is cheaper than an uncooked one unless there is a sale)
White bread or soft small buns
Mayo
Tomato
Salt and pepper

I love it with hot chicken as well but that is very informal as my husband and I end up pulling the meat if with or fingers.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2013, 12:24:43 PM »
Okay, update. As we have an electric roaster, DH has decided he wants to throw a ham into the roaster the night before and he'll take care of the meat.  His ham is pretty good as he mixes orange juice, pumpkin spices and a citrus soda.  It turns out to be very, very good.

And as it turns out my IL's are coming to the baptism but not staying for the meal but my brother and his gf will be.  So it'll be 8 people in all. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2013, 12:36:13 PM »
Ham sounds terrific! Are you doing sandwiches?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2013, 12:39:50 PM »
I'm thinking of giving the option to make it a sandwich but if people want to eat it on its own that will also be an option.  When he's made it in the past we've had thick slices because they were meant to be eaten with a fork but we could also slice them thinner for a sandwich.