Author Topic: OKC Bombing  (Read 950 times)

katiescarlett

OKC Bombing
« on: April 18, 2013, 10:10:44 PM »
It is so hard to believe that tomorrow will be 18 years since the Murrah building exploded.  I was a sophomore in high-school.  My little cousin was 2 weeks old, and will be graduating next month. 

So sad that we are still hearing things in the news like this.  My prayers are with the Boston Marathon survivors, the victims, and their families.

delabela

Re: OKC Bombing
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 10:24:26 PM »
I can't believe it's been that long.  I remember exactly where I was when I heard.  My thoughts are with the families who are still grieving, and the families who are still reeling from their losses in Boston.  May they all find comfort. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 10:51:46 PM »
I can't either, and about 11 years ago, my friends and I drove cross country, and one of our stops was the memorial. Very moving,, but it was somewhere we had to stop and see.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 11:15:52 PM »
I was home from high school the day it happened for some reason--I think I must have been sick. Probably about two years later, while the memorial was still in the planning stages, I visited the site on a trip and was struck by just how desolate the area was. The building was gone and several others around it had had to be torn down because of the damage, and the memorial wasn't built yet, so it was just these few blocks of space in the middle of the downtown area. Profoundly haunting.

SheltieMom

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 12:18:10 AM »
And 20 years since the Branch Davidian disaster in Waco, which is making the explosion in West, just a few miles away, even harder to understand.

Weirdly, I was teaching then, and was home with a sick child not only both of those days, but also on 9/11.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 10:51:03 AM »
I was a senior in high school when the OKC bombing took place.

There must not have been school that day. I remember I was watching The Price is Right with my father when the news came on TV about the bombing.

I have pet mice!

lowspark

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 11:28:14 AM »
The Oklahoma City Memorial is incredible. I highly recommend going there if you are ever anywhere near the area. We were there for hours and tore ourselves away only because we were famished and had to get something to eat.

I have a friend who lives in Oklahoma who lost an uncle that day. It's a tragedy that people feel justified in making whatever statement they feel they have to make by killing innocent people. Very sad.