Author Topic: Who Is Easier to Contend With...The Cat or the Neighbour? (Long)  (Read 5553 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Who Is Easier to Contend With...The Cat or the Neighbour? (Long)
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2013, 01:19:17 PM »
Being "off leash" does not mean the dog owners let them out all day with no idea where they are, what they are doing or whose property they are on.

Aquamarine

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2013, 01:26:54 PM »
My property is my property and other people's animals are not welcome to use it.  I trap cats that come into my fenced yard (with a locked gate) and call the pound to come pick them up.  You need to keep your cat inside because not everyone welcomes cats onto their private property.  I have spent a small fortune on my backyard with waterscaping and I will not see it turned into an outside litterbox because a neighbor's cat "likes to be outside".  I like to be outside too, in my backyard that does not smell like a litterbox.

You keep your cat inside because:

1.  It's what responsible pet owners do.
2.  Your animal does not have the right to trespass on your neighbor's property.
3.  Your animal won't get picked up and used as fighting bait.
4.  Your cat won't get hit by a car.

Your cat's right to roam free ends at my property line.  I don't think I'm the only person out there who feels this way.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

MindsEye

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2013, 01:42:40 PM »
If there are laws that forbid it, so be it, the OP should follow the laws, but if there aren't then its not rude. If the neighbor dislikes the roaming animals she shoudl write to her politicians and ask for a change in the local laws.

The way I see it, this is not just about who is "right", it is about making sure that Sam the cat stays safe.

If there are no laws governing pets wandering around, then there might also be no laws governing how people can deal with what they see as "nuisance animals"on their property.

If this neighbor is a "wackaloon", then she may stop at writing letters to her alderman.  She could very well start setting out traps or laying out poison. 

OP, if you prioritize Sam having his "freedom to roam" over his health and safety, then by all means keep letting him out to wander.

Amara

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2013, 01:59:15 PM »
I agree that your neighbor has given you warning and that you need to heed that warning. That said, I am a passionate believer in indoor-only cats for all the reasons others have already listed. You know the potential dangers out there. They do not, and our pets like our children need our rules for their own safety. It is our responsibility.

Cats will eventually get used to an indoor life. Granted, it's not an easy or short transition in many cases but it can be done. There are ways to mitigate their frustration: window seats, cat leashes, cat strollers ( http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Pet-Supplies-Cat-Strollers/zgbs/pet-supplies/3024134011 ), tall cat condos next to windows, and if you do want them to be outdoors but safe, the cat enclosures that MamaMootz mentioned. There are a wide variety of these, and some are easily made, others can be extremely elaborate. I did a quick search on Google and here are the results: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=%22Cat+enclosures%22&oq=%22Cat+enclosures%22&gs_l=hp.3..0l4.943.14012.0.15045.32.19.9.0.0.0.1342.4890.0j13j1j2j0j1j0j1.18.0...0.0...1c.1.9.psy-ab.o2rp7QHp1Ts&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45373924,d.cGE&fp=904ffd09aa26092&biw=1203&bih=759

Charliebug

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2013, 03:51:52 PM »
Thank you for the all of the thoughtful (and some very passionate) advice and input. I have let her know that Sam will not make a nuisance of himself and that we will keep a very close eye on him. As for the pooping in her yard- Sam comes home to use the litter box (weird, I know) so that is not an issue.

The shine has warn off over the past week with Sam after we weren't trying to fight his need for freedom all the time. Now he stays outside for a couple of hours during the day and either lays in our yard or our flower bed. He does visit the immediate neighbours next door as he loves to go visit their new kitty through their window (neigbours find it amusing) but he definitely shows no interest in heading across the street to neighbour/friend's house at all. I am not at all concerned she will poison him- she is an animal lover. I do think this has a lot to do with control and rethinking the friendship is the order of the day for sure.

Once again, thank you everyone. I appreciate your thoughts on this.  ;D

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2013, 04:01:14 PM »
Since the matter has been resolved, thread closed.