Author Topic: The problem with technology... Update #33  (Read 3695 times)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
Re: The problem with technology...
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2013, 01:21:24 PM »
I have loads and loads of phone numbers memorized. They're in my contacts list too, but it takes me less time to just dial in the number than the scroll through the contacts list, find it, and call that way.

As to the OP, like others have said the whole thing was just everyday miscommunication compounded by lack of common sense. If someone is still frustrated by it, there are bigger issues going on in the friendship.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Bottlecaps

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2013, 02:40:29 PM »
Eh, it was a misunderstanding. If I were Sara, after about ten or fifteen minutes, I would have paid for my drink and walked to Vicky's house to check and see what was going on.

It was, as PPs have said, a misunderstanding compounded by losing common sense. :)
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
OP, are you one of the people involved?  Just curious as to which one of the 2 you are in this. ;)

NyaChan

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2013, 04:09:23 PM »
DottyG - Yes I am one of the people involved.  I was trying to keep it as objective as possible so I left out some of my thought processes that I thought would tip it off that I was Sara.  I'm sorry if I left the impression as a result of those omissions that this was a big problem - it is not in any way a problem between myself and Vicky who I consider to be one of my closest friends and with whom I spent an enjoyable evening with after the dinner misunderstanding studying and watching our weekly show.  I have not and have no plans to mention this to anyone in my real life - I just posted here because this had never happened to me before and I was trying to figure out where the breakdown happened and how much of it was because of me.  When I did call Vicky upon getting home, we barely even talked about what happened, just a general "What happened to you?" from both of us to figure it out and then we switched to arranging our study plans.  She did say when she came that she was sorry that she hadn't just come to the restaurant and that she didn't know what she had been thinking, just driving around the way she did.  I told her it wasn't a big deal, just a fluke that could have been avoided if I had remembered my phone. (Though as Toots pointed out - it all would have been nipped in the bud if I'd been clearer in the planning)

When I said I was over it but frustrated, I was referring to what I consider a human reaction to finding that one's plans for fun have come to naught in a time consuming and a little stressful way when one is very very hungry - after I ate dinner and relaxed the frustration abated.  Honestly, Vicky would have to do something seriously seriously wrong for it to have any lasting effect on our friendship.   

As to why I didn't just leave to go to her house instead of waiting?  When I walked into the restaurant, I thought I had texted Vicky that we should "meet there" - so I figured she'd show up there eventually either because of the text or if worse came to worse, I genuinely thought she'd come to the restaurant when I didn't show up at her house within 10 minutes or so of 7.  I also had already sat down, ordered a drink, marked my menu (you check what you want and they pick it up), and used the hand towel.  I will admit that I am not the most self confident when it comes to unfamiliar situations so I felt uncomfortable asking for a bill with only a soda on it after all that.  I was also self conscious because waiters kept stopping at my table and then doing that double take and walking away when they realized that I was still waiting for someone. 

When I first got there, there wasn't a clock that I could see (I later discovered the taco on the wall was a clock, not just a piece of art) and wasn't sure how long I had waited - I did entertain myself by trying to guess what time it was based on the dramatic progress of a Bones episode that they were playing.  I also wondered if maybe Vicky had mixed up the times and thought we were meeting at 7:30 since that was originally what time we were going to study together before I suggested getting dinner first.  After I realized that 7:30 had passed, I went ahead and ordered to go.  I vaguely thought about stopping at Vicky's house on my way out, but when her car wasn't by her house, I thought maybe she'd be waiting outside of my place, so I went home and I suppose I must have just missed her.

So yeah, not my finest night in terms of common sense - In my defense, it is finals time, so I'm not exactly firing on all cylinders  ;D

Thank you all for your take on things!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2013, 04:27:07 PM »
I can help you with one part of this pretty easily.

You're ok with asking for your bill with just the drink on it.  If you feel like you need to explain, you can say, "I think there might have been a mixup with the friend that was meeting me here.  I'm going to go ahead and get my check and see if I can find out what happened."  But that's not even needed.  This was a taco place.  There wouldn't have been a problem with your leaving - even not having ordered food.

I felt uncomfortable asking for a bill with only a soda on it after all that.