Author Topic: restaurant issue -- what would you have done?  (Read 4295 times)

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: restaurant issue -- what would you have done?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 07:34:30 PM »
Personally I would be much more bothered being interrupted to have them state the obvious in a place where the behavior is to be expected - like standing near a table in the RHC to look at the displays. I have been to the HRC in NYC (the current one and the old original on 57th St) as well as HRC's in several other cities over the course of the last 20 years and never have I ever had anyone excuse themselves for standing next to my table nor have I ever excused myself to another table, while checking out the memorabilia. Its simply not a norm - the norm is to walk around, look and not bother the other the other diners.

And yet, they did bother the OP as a diner.  There is standing next to a table and there is standing *next* to a table.  The OP said there was space to view the display, but they were very close; close enough to hit them with her elbow if she was using her knife.  That's intrusive, not being a tourist.

eta: I would not excuse myself at Hard Rock either unless I'm disturbing someone because I want to get *that* close for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 07:47:14 PM by rose red »

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 08:15:53 PM »

Gave her a "I can't believe you are doing this" look but didn't say anything.  She took another photo very quickly and then both girls left. 

What would you have done?

I think that what you did was perfectly fine. It showed them that you were a bit uncomfortable with the extreme closeness.

They could have taken a step or two back, they could have lingered and ignored your "look" or they could have asked you if you would mind taking a picture of them up against the mural.

They did none of the above and they left quickly. Which, in my mind, was the polite thing for them to do.

I don't find any rudeness in this crowded tourist situation from neither them nor you.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 09:17:46 PM »
If this is a place you frequent regularly, in future, you could ask to be seated at a table that would be less likely to have this kind of disruption.

But in the moment, I think you did fine.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 09:50:32 PM »
I really don't think that I'd have done or said anything, unless the photo-takers were lingering for a long time.

While I've never been to the NY Hard Rock Cafe - my impression is that it's not a place where patrons can expect to have an intimate experience.  People are expected to wander around the place (rather than between their table and the restrooms) and yes, that means that other patrons can occasionally be "in the way" for a short time.  And, restaurants in expensive cities such as New York generally are very crowded - rents are sky-high and owners have to cram in as many tables as possible in order to turn a profit.

NyaChan

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 09:59:06 PM »
As this was Hard Rock Cafe, I agree that they were not rude, and neither were you.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 10:11:57 PM »
POD to WillyNilly.
"close enough to be able to take the camera out of her hand" is just not all that close in any NYC restaurant.

True. I was shocked at how small NYC restaurants could be at first. Now I'm used to it. Personal space is not expected in those venues.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2013, 12:34:57 AM »
If they had the option of standing a few feet away, then I think they WERE rude for crowding the OP's table.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2013, 03:34:08 AM »
POD to WillyNilly.
"close enough to be able to take the camera out of her hand" is just not all that close in any NYC restaurant.

True. I was shocked at how small NYC restaurants could be at first. Now I'm used to it. Personal space is not expected in those venues.

POD. I guess I must have lived in enough big cities that I don't even know if I would have even noticed.

If a guest were leaning over my table where their clothing or hair were touching my food or drink, then I would have said "excuse me" in a firm tone. But other than that, I think I would just be used to it.

123sandy

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2013, 06:38:23 AM »
Given the restaurant it was I would ignore it. That seems to be the done thing in HRC, to wander about and look at the memorabilia. I've been in a few and they're pretty tightly packed.

crella

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2013, 06:48:18 AM »
If I were the photo taker, I would have said something. It sounds as if they were within the OP's personal dining space, within touching distance, so of course within seeing and hearing. That kind of closeness would merit a some kind of communication , I think (said the introvert).

We call them "tourons" because their brains are on vacation.

I know what you mean, Midnight Kitty and I think that's really funny!

Edited to correct some interesting spelling  :D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 06:49:55 AM by crella »