Author Topic: Question Re: Selling or Giving Away a Working Appliance With Issues  (Read 486 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
I have a Maytag Neptune Washer and Dryer pair.  This is the washer that is infamous for mold problems because it keeps water in it all the time.  I have been extremely fortunate that I haven't had the mold problems but I believe that the washer is putting small holes in all my T-shirts.

I've decided that, since they are 9 years old anyway, that I am going to replace my washer and dryer.  My brother may take the dryer but I'd still have to get rid of the washer.  Most places will take your appliances when they drop off the new and either recycle them or donate them.

If they won't, would it be OK if I posted an ad, saying, 'Maytag Neptune Washer for sale.  $XX(X).  Not suitable for home use as it has been putting small holes in my clothes but would be great for a barn or other facility where the holes are not an issue.'
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

EllenS

Re: Question Re: Selling or Giving Away a Working Appliance With Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 03:24:18 PM »
I would just post the ad with the type of machine, and then mention to the potential buyer in person that I was replacing it because I had a problem with it being too hard on my clothes (holes, etc.)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 03:40:19 PM »
I wouldn't want someone to come to my house ready to take it then decide not to, though.  Kind of a waste of both our time.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

amylouky

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 03:41:56 PM »
I think running an ad is fine, but you definitely should mention any mechanical problems with the washer in your ad. I don't know if I'd say it's not for home use, who knows, it could be repairable and be just fine. But I think disclosing the problems is a must. I'd actually probably mention the mold issues too, but state that you haven't had any problems with this particular washer and mold issues.

I wouldn't wait until you are in person with a potential buyer. Some people may be fine with buying an appliance that needs repair, or taking their chances that it's fixable. Others wouldn't be, and I think it would be rude to waste their time coming to look at an appliance that you already know has mechanical issues.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 03:42:40 PM »
If the problem is only happening with the T-shirts and not other clothing, I wonder if it is the washer. I know that for a while I was getting small holes at about belly button level on my thin cotton T's and tanks. I realized that it wasn't moths or machines, it was because the shirt would rub between my trouser/jeans button and a counter or desk edge. Just a thought. If you are sure it is the machine though, I think you should alert any potential taker that the machine sometime damages clothing.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 03:47:25 PM »
That is what I was wondering but I've started getting holes in my yoga pants and other thinner materials.  And the plastic cowling on the opening has been shredded so there is a rough surface there that could be catching material.

Although it does tend to only be the front of my shirts...  Hmmmm...
Ontario

perpetua

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 04:34:16 PM »
That is what I was wondering but I've started getting holes in my yoga pants and other thinner materials.  And the plastic cowling on the opening has been shredded so there is a rough surface there that could be catching material.

Although it does tend to only be the front of my shirts...  Hmmmm...

A silly question, but do you have cats?

I've been getting holes in the fronts of my tshirts for the longest time and it was driving me nuts; it was only recently that I figured out it was happening when my cats were jumping on me.

That aside though, definitely mention it in the ad if you think it's the machine, saves time wasters all round.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 05:03:27 PM »
I do have cats but they were front declawed by their previous owner.  So I don't think they are the cause.

Maybe it is frivolous but I don't really like my washer and dryer.  I can afford to replace them so I can get something I like better, complete with pedestals to make doing laundry easier on my back.  The water staying in wasn't enough to move me forward but adding in the holes, I can justify it to myself.   :D
Ontario

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 05:18:36 PM »
I think I would mention the make/model of the washer and the age, and then something like, "In good condition except that the plastic cowling on the opening has been shredded, leading to minor damage of delicate clothing." (If that's an accurate description.) Maybe someone will only want it for heavy-duty fabric, or maybe someone knows exactly how to fix that.

If you want, you could add something like, "This model is known for having mold problems, but I never experienced that with this machine." I don't think that's strictly necessary as I think it's incumbent upon the potential buyers to research models before purchasing; they could always ask you specifically about it, and you can honestly say it wasn't a problem for you.
~Lynn2000