Author Topic: Restaurant Recommendations for DC, Raleigh NC, Charleston SC, and Savannah GA  (Read 952 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Do you have a favorite? Please share!

ncgal

Raleigh, for breakfast or lunch (got to get their early), Big Ed's, downtown, in City Market.  Good ole southern cooking.   They get most of their veggie's fresh every morning from the state farmers market, which leads to the second place. 

Restaurant at State Farmer's market.  One, again, serves some good ole southern cooking, though some healthy stuff too, lol.  Other one at the state farmers market fs the seafood restaurant.  That is fair, average place to me.

StuffedGrapeLeaves

I love a tapas restaurant in Raleigh called Tasca Brava.  The wife is the chef and the husband is the front-of-the-house person.  Great food and great wine selection, too. 

I also love the following restaurants in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area:

- Mama Dip's for southern cooking (Chapel Hill)
- Lantern restaurant (Chapel Hill)
- The Pit bbq restaurant (Raleigh)
- Weathervane (Chapel Hill)
- Dame's Chicken and Waffles (Durham)

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
I love a tapas restaurant in Raleigh called Tasca Brava.  The wife is the chef and the husband is the front-of-the-house person.  Great food and great wine selection, too. 

Stuffed... Did you know that she died a few years ago?  She had ovarian cancer.    :-[

She was the best cook I've ever met in my life.   They are still in business and still use her recipes.  Her husband is still front of house guy.  The Ecuadorian Corn and Potato Chowder is the most heavenly thing ever!

StuffedGrapeLeaves

Stuffed... Did you know that she died a few years ago?  She had ovarian cancer.    :-[

She was the best cook I've ever met in my life.   They are still in business and still use her recipes.  Her husband is still front of house guy.  The Ecuadorian Corn and Potato Chowder is the most heavenly thing ever!

I had no idea!  How sad!!!  I haven't been there in about 5 years.  I'm glad that they are still in business.  Their food was so good.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Late to this one, but posting anyway.

For DC- there's not really one single cuisine here, but you can get just about any ethnic food you want. Indian food that made my friend from Bombay tear up because it tasted like home at Rajaji Curry House. Mexican at Oyamel. Spanish tapas at Jaleo. Thai at Ruan Thai. Pho at a hundred little strip malls. You name it, it's here. For brunch, I love Kramerbooks and Afterwords Cafe in Dupont. For chili, Hard Times Cafe is my pick, though others favor Ben's Chili Bowl. I hate beans in general, and in chili in particular, so Hard Times rules for me. I also love their homemade root beer. 
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Charleston, SC here! We have simply the best seafood on the planet! Some favorites:

Poogan's Porch (fantastic food, good prices and as a bonus, it's haunted!)
82 Queen
Hyman's Seafood
The Crab House (right on the water, you can sit outside and enjoy your meal while watching the dolphins swim by)
McCready's (very historical, but pricey)

Personally, Poogan's would be my #1 pick to take someone that was visiting Charleston.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!