Author Topic: Health or Etiquette Issue?  (Read 4249 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Health or Etiquette Issue?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 11:00:42 AM »
"not permitted" "must eat alone"

Since when does ANYONE get to dictate who a person can entertain IN THEIR OWN HOME!!

Pack a basket (or two) of goodies,go to said facility and invite the friends around.
Include champagne if you can afford it.

This quote is probably something MIL dreamed up on her own.  She is a stickler for the way things 'should be'.

For the record, the apartments where she lives are true apartments.  Each has a kitchen many residents of Manhattan would kill to get. 

The cafe serves breakfasts and lunches but many apartment residents choose to make their own.  As
 a way to make sure every apartment resident is seen every day, those in independent living must have dinner in the dining room or tell the staff that they're going out for dinner.  The idea is to makesure nobody has suffered a stroke or heart attack and is unattended.  The apartments also have maid service twice a week. 

Many residents drive and public transportation into town is free.  There's nothing to stop a resident
from taking the bus to take in a show, visit the public library, do some shopping or go out for a meal.   

The cafe is  used by residents, staff members and people who are working on a
major construction project. Staff members also have the option of bringing their young children to a free day-care center.

To us, all this potential for personal interaction makes the closing of the dining room and the suspension of gatherings rather harsh.  People can still be exposed to infection from many sources.  A bridge club would seem the least worrisome thing.

The  place has has been using the same procedures as cruise ships for many years.  There are dispensers of anti-bacterial gel everywhere, including the elevators and stairwells.  Residents are
encouraged to greet each other by bumping elbows instead of shaking hands.  I realize that hand-sanitizes are no protection against norovirus but the awareness is a good thing. 

Certainly, norovirus is a health issue but the major problem we see is MIL.  She WILL obey the rules even though, having met many of her neighbors, we're sure the rules are being bent all around her.  These people enjoy their fun.  We've even heard music by 'The Grateful Dead' seeping into the hallway.  A picnic on their dining room table with a drink or two and a game evening would be just to their tastes. 

It just seems a shame that MIL should deprive herself When she doesn't have to do so. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 11:12:55 AM by Thipu1 »

Mikayla

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 11:48:40 AM »
To me, the issue is likely to be related to liability concerns.  It doesn't matter how noro is spread, nor does it matter what the health department has to say.  It doesn't matter if it seems extreme, which it does.   If this entity experiences a noro outbreak, someone will decide they didn't exercise proper precautions (even if they did).

So I don't see anything wrong with asking how long this will be in effect, etc.  But I wouldn't second guess them.  I'd just try to help mom stay occupied.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 03:50:36 PM »
This has everything to do with the retirement home your MIL lives in and their decisions, and nothing to do with etiquette. My suggestion, if you want to be proactive, is to call the administrator and discuss the issue with them along with your concerns about the social isolation, etc.

Thread locked.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.