Author Topic: Condolences to a business contact  (Read 895 times)

AuntyEm

Condolences to a business contact
« on: April 20, 2013, 10:38:15 AM »
Through a 3rd party, I found out that the mother of a business associate had died. (The death was not unexpected.)

I have never met him in person but have only spoken with him on the phone and through email and only on business matters.

I needed information from him on a business matter (somewhat urgent) and held off sending an email for a week since it had just happened.

My question is, as a purely business associate, should I have offered condolences or just sent the normal email?  I couldn't figure out how to send both messages without being awkward so only sent the business one.  We also don't have a relationship where we discuss personal matters.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
Re: Condolences to a business contact
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 10:49:27 AM »
If you didn't hear it from him, and you are only on a professional talking level, I wouldn't say anything unless he brings it up during a business interaction.  If he does, then it is perfectly acceptable to express your sincere condolences then move on. 

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
Re: Condolences to a business contact
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 01:03:02 PM »
Send a card or flowers on behalf of your company.  This happened with one of our vendors.  Her husband passed away suddeny and we sent flowers with the words "You are in our thoughts". 
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.