Author Topic: Asking to be nominated for an award?  (Read 1529 times)

Verity

Asking to be nominated for an award?
« on: April 20, 2013, 01:57:54 PM »
Is it improper to request nomination for an award?  My husband is considering asking his manager if she would put his name forward for an award at work.  It has been previously mentioned that there were very few candidate submissions in previous years and that the people in charge of the award found this frustrating.  Because this is specifically an award for "bright ideas," I was wondering if such a request wouldn't be seen as gauche or presumptuous.
“He professed to hate fanaticism, yet was himself a fanatic on the topic of toleration."
                                                                                                            -- Anatol France, The Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
Re: Asking to be nominated for an award?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 02:21:06 PM »
Instead of asking to be nominated, I think your husband should go to his supervisor and ask about the award itself; what the criteria are, how you get nominated, etc.  Then he can say that he would love to be nominated, and ask his supervisor if there's anything he can do to be visible enough for nomination. 

I think that planting the idea is better than just outright asking for the nomination.  The last thing anyone wants to hear is "I know we need more nominations, but I just don't think your contributions qualify". 

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 05:04:46 PM »
I agree -- ask for more information about the award, or see if he can find out (is there a page for the award on the company website?).  If it's for a particular type of idea, it's possible he can even self-nominate. 

Library Dragon

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 05:23:03 PM »
Instead of asking to be nominated, I think your husband should go to his supervisor and ask about the award itself; what the criteria are, how you get nominated, etc.  Then he can say that he would love to be nominated, and ask his supervisor if there's anything he can do to be visible enough for nomination. 

I think that planting the idea is better than just outright asking for the nomination.  The last thing anyone wants to hear is "I know we need more nominations, but I just don't think your contributions qualify".

Oh well done.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 05:35:37 PM »
Frankly, in business, I don't think the same rules quite apply.
In my industry, each business nominates itself or its own products.

Though I do like Lady Snowdon's approach.

Because she's right, if he flat-out asks but doesn't get nominated, that's sort of a facer.

Verity

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 08:34:01 PM »
Thank you all for your input.  I believe he may end up using the approach suggested by Lady Snowdon.
“He professed to hate fanaticism, yet was himself a fanatic on the topic of toleration."
                                                                                                            -- Anatol France, The Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard