Author Topic: Speaking English to other people in public?  (Read 2880 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Speaking English to other people in public?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 09:06:36 AM »
When we were in Italy and I tried speaking Italian, every single person would immediately start speaking English to me. I would laugh because often their English was MUCH worse than my Italian.

My maternal grandmother was the first of her FOO to be born in the states, as she's the youngest of 5 and her mother was pregnant with her when they immigrated from Sicily in '21.   So she grew up with a lot of Italian, I imagine, as she told me once that when she went to visit Italy she decided she was going to use that Italian. 

She laughed as she told me that they said "Speak English, we understand you better!"

As for the question? No, you're not rude.  I do think the idea to converse in French with people you know well is a good one. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

alis

Re: Speaking English to other people in public?
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 12:55:14 PM »
Thanks everyone!! For some reason my husband will not speak it to me (his native language), he says it is "weird", so I'm pretty much stuck with strangers. It's an odd one for sure.