Author Topic: I Used To Like That!?! (a spin-off of "Hey, that's actually pretty good")  (Read 10878 times)

Optimoose Prime

MASH.  I used to love watching this back in the day.  Now I find it slightly unsettling.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
Beans
Growing up we ate beans at least 3 or 4 times a week.  Now as an adult, I can't event get them near me without wanting to throw up

magicdomino

Just as a suggestion --  with the price of sugar rising and many companies modifying recipes to include more processed foods into recipes (high fructose corn syrup, hydrolized vegetable protein, soy lecithin, etc...) perhaps what actually was yummy junk food when we were children has become vile now.  I still love real ice cream, but popsicles are not so awesome.  I still love cake, but Twinkies are not my favorite.

This is probably what ruined Snoballs for me.  I loved them as a kid.  I'm pretty sure I still liked them about 10 years ago or so.  The last few years, I'd buy the occasional package if it was on sale, but it was more for nostalgia than taste.

Cocoa Puffs taste funny now, too.  I used to love them as dessert, but when General Mills started putting "whole grain" in them, the taste and texture changed, even though there can't be that much "whole grain."

blueyzca01

My husband and I used to watch Freakazoid, which was an animated show from the same guys who created Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain.  We loved Freakazoid and were super excited when it came out on DVD.  We rented one of the DVDs, settled down one Saturday night with our popcorn and adult beverages, and ... turned it off after one episode.  Somehow, what was funny to us in our 20's was just plain unpleasant in our 40's.

Same for Mad About You.  When we watched that in the 90's, we were newly in love, so Paul and Jaime's antics seemed very familiar to us.  I tried watching it again recently, and I kept yelling "Oh, COME ON!" at the screen.

Wow, the same thing happened to me!  I was soooooo excited when I saw that a local station was airing Mad About You, in episodic order.  DH was now watching with me, and he pointed out how neurotic they were.  He totally ruined it for me, because, yeah, now that you mention it, they are a little nutzo.

ALso, food-wise, I used to eat sardines and mustard on saltines as a snack with my dad.  Now, I cannot even catch a whiff of sardines without wanting to hurl.  I have no idea how I managed to eat them.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 07:13:51 PM by blueyzca01 »
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

andi

Quote from: booklover03 link=topic=127000.msg2929594#msg2929594 date=

I did that with The Last Unicorn. I LOVED that movie as a kid and my father hated it with the fire of a thousand suns, but he always rented it for me. I watched it on DVD a few years ago and realized dad was right, it was not great. I don't think it was as awful as he said it was, but it wasn't as goods I remembered it.

POD. I begged my mom to take me to see that movie - I think she slept through it. I couldn't believe shed do that. Ten it was on TV a couple years back and I tried to watch it. Nope - not gonna happen

BatCity

• Duct Tape and Chicken Wire
MAD Magazine. I think it was funnier when I was too young to understand it.

Library Dragon

MASH.  I used to love watching this back in the day.  Now I find it slightly unsettling.

POD

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Pen^2

Me: Johnny Quest. It used to scare the life out of me, and I'd be unable to sleep. A year or so ago I looked up one episode which particularly terrified me on youtube, and I felt embarrassed for the producers and voice actors at how bad it was. Really, really, jaw-droppingly bad, flat dialogue and effects so terrible it took mental strain to work out what they were supposed to be. No idea why it used to freak me out.

Also: spinach. I used to devour it, along with brussel sprouts and broccoli, when I was a kid, because my brother would steal my food and only left the things he didn't like, so I had no choice but to love the stuff. Now that I'm older and can choose what I eat, I've found that I don't actually like the taste, and it was probably mostly self-delusion.

My husband: Wonder Woman. He watched TV episodes when he was 5 or 6, and thought they were really cool and amazing and lifelike. He also watched some recently and is ashamed that he ever thought it was real. Again, very bad special effects and acting. Kind of like Xena: Warrior Princess on a budget one-tenth the size.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Canned pasta.  I LOVED it as a kid.  It was a treat.  One day I saw a can of Ravoli on sale as an adult and I snapped it up.  Was the sauce always practically ketchup?  Did I just not notice?  I love my pasta and I love my ketchup.  But, together?  No!

Chocolate-based candy bars.  The chocolate is so ...  eh.  If I am going to consume fat, sugar and calories, I should really enjoy it!  I still love the just sugar based and the sweet sour candies. 

What did they do to Jolly Ranchers?  Did they always have the weird not_hard but not_chewable texture. 

I feel like a curmudgeon.  Too bad there aren't any kids to yell at to "Get off my lawn"

CrochetFanatic

This is going to sound weird, but I think it fits.  When I was little (I mean 4 or 5 "little"), I used to get in trouble for pouring pickle juice or the juice from the green olive jar into a cup and drinking it.  I still enjoy pickles and olives, but I still don't know what I was thinking all those years ago!  :P  I'm surprised I didn't get sick from it.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
This is going to sound weird, but I think it fits.  When I was little (I mean 4 or 5 "little"), I used to get in trouble for pouring pickle juice or the juice from the green olive jar into a cup and drinking it.  I still enjoy pickles and olives, but I still don't know what I was thinking all those years ago!  :P  I'm surprised I didn't get sick from it.

There are people that drink the stuff as adults. I have, horrifyingly, also seen 'pucker pops' - little plastic cups full of pickle juice, frozen, for sale as gas stations all over the South. *shudder*

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store

I love pickle juice :)  I don't drink a whole cup anymore, but a little shot fresh out of the fridge is yummy

Shalamar

When my husband makes me a Bloody Caesar, he puts in a shot of pickle juice.  It's delish.  :)

Speaking of pickled stuff, though, I used to love pickled herring.  I could eat an entire jar by myself.  I tried it again recently and nearly gagged.

MindsEye

I read somewhere that "Childhood is when you like Jerry and admire his smartness.  Adulthood is when you feel sorry for Tom and realize that Jerry is a jerk".  And many Loony Tunes shows are like that.  And Sam in iCarly is a horrible person.

I must have been an early adult, because I always felt sorry for Tom.

For me it was Sylvester and Tweety.  I hated Tweety, and always wanted to see Sylvester give that darn bird what it had coming to it!

MindsEye

Chocolate pudding cups.  I loved them when I was in grade school.  They were sooo rich and creamy and yummy, and I always knew that it was going to be a good day when Mom put a chocolate pudding cup in my lunchbox.

I saw them on sale at my grocery store a little bit ago and picked some up on a whim.  Bleack!  They tasted horrible and metallic and not at all like the creamy wonderfulness I remembered.

I suppose that the recipe was changed or something...  :-\