Author Topic: I Used To Like That!?! (a spin-off of "Hey, that's actually pretty good")  (Read 9627 times)

Amara

What foods did you love as a child that you tried as an adult and hated? Hostess Twinkies and the Rice Krispies treats come to my mind almost immediately. I didn't seek them out but was handed one (at different times) by people. In one case I spit it out immediately. In the other, I was in a social setting and swallowed the bite but it took a lot of willpower not to shriek "eeeeeewwwwwww!" Those experiences led me to realize it is best if I never re-visit favorite childhood foods.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
I used to like Kraft's Macaroni and cheese. We make it at work, and (to my own taste) the flavor of the sauce is not as intense cheesy flavor as it used to be.

Library Dragon

Brussels sprouts.  Loved them as a kid.  Once at an Army dining hall I had SUPER BAD brussels sprouts.  I've tried them different ways since.  Organic, roasted in olive oil and garlic; prepared by award winning chefs. Nope.  My mouth rejects them.

Swordfish.  Loved it, now I find it bland and texturally displeasing.  I keep thinking its that particular fish/preparation. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Maxiestar

That was my experience as well with the Twinkies. Which was kinda sad because they were one of my favorite go-to treats as a kid.

There's also songs or music acts I no longer like either. Like New Kids on the Block, loved them as a teen, now as an adult, not so much! No offense of course to anyone who likes them.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
The Beatles.  I still like them but many of their biggest hits were really, really bad. 

The early ones were different from regular pop at the time but now they sound very lame.  John Lennon's 'Mr. Moonlight' has to be one of the worst songs ever recorded. 

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Canned ravioli. I practically lived on that stuff as a kid. A few years ago I was in a supermarket and picked up a can on a whim. Got home, took a bite and threw out the rest. Either I had terrible taste as a kid or they've changed they way they make them.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
Peanut butter.  Tinned baked beans.  Blergh.

Probably because we were basically force-fed them as children.

Bottlecaps

Canned ravioli. I practically lived on that stuff as a kid. A few years ago I was in a supermarket and picked up a can on a whim. Got home, took a bite and threw out the rest. Either I had terrible taste as a kid or they've changed they way they make them.

POD. I used to love canned ravioli. Now, well, I can still stomach it if absolutely necessary, but I'd prefer not to have to do so.
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Peeps.  I used to be able to eat a whole package at one sitting; now eating more than half of one peep at once gives me a stomachache. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 09:15:19 PM by Slartibartfast »

otterwoman

I grew up putting ketchup on pancakes; my mother did it, so I did it. Now even the thought of it makes my stomach queasy.

andi

POD. I used to love canned ravioli. Now, well, I can still stomach it if absolutely necessary, but I'd prefer not to have to do so.

POD - even my 8 year old won't eat it anymore.

And Kraft Mac And Cheese - I think they changed the recipe, I can hardly stand it and used to eat it by the box

delabela

There was this canned chow mein that was my absolute favorite when I was a kid.  I tried it once as an adult and it may have been the worst thing I have ever put in my mouth. 

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
I'll 2nd Kraft mac&cheese and add spaghetti-o's. I can't stand ketchup since drastically reducing the amount of sugar I eat. It's so sweet!

When Napster first came out I was SO excited. All those songs I had loved and hadn't heard for years were going to be mine again! One of the first I downloaded had been one of my favorites back in middle school, "Carrie" by the band Europe. I remembered it fondly and couldn't wait to play it. That lasted maybe a minute and then I shut it off halfway through, said "Good lord my dad was right, I had terrible taste in music!" and deleted it.  ;D

snowdragon

POD - even my 8 year old won't eat it anymore.

And Kraft Mac And Cheese - I think they changed the recipe, I can hardly stand it and used to eat it by the box

This.

Wegman's Mac and Cheese is better than Kraft, but I prefer homemade.

AylaM

Another for Kraft Mac & Cheese.   Also Velveeta cheese.

Green Olives - used to eat them by the handful out of the jars.  Now?  I have to choke even one down.
Kiwi - either bland or painful/sour now.
Sauerkraut - homemade is ok but any store bought is too sour. 

So I guess my sour tolerance has gone down.