Author Topic: I Used To Like That!?! (a spin-off of "Hey, that's actually pretty good")  (Read 11444 times)

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
Squeeze cheese
Many kinds of crackers. GI tract does not like refined grains much anymore.
Cole Slaw- but that one I stopped liking sometime during childhood.
And of course, meat. Another case of my body deciding it was no longer welcome.
I have pet mice!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
I loved liver and onions but the idea of it makes me cringe.  i wouldn't be able to even put it into my mouth.
Chicken.  I used to love chicken, especially the breast.  Now it tastes horrible to me.  I wouldn't care if I never ate it again.  I like chicken broth, though.
Reheated meat.  It has a horrible flavor.  I remember making leftover stuff from roasts and chicken in the past and it was fine, but, not any more.  Reheating it just makes it taste so weird.  I can't even bear to eat it.  I thought it was me but recently heard that reheating the protein does something to it.

I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

TeamBhakta

Butterscotch Krimpets
Cherry dipped cones from Dairy Queen
Boston Baked Beans (the candy)

Reheated meat.  It has a horrible flavor.  I remember making leftover stuff from roasts and chicken in the past and it was fine, but, not any more.  Reheating it just makes it taste so weird.  I can't even bear to eat it.  I thought it was me but recently heard that reheating the protein does something to it.

I know that taste. I once had a restaurant owner get angry with me about that. They served me what was clearly day old, reheated fried chicken. The owner showed up via a Google search and claimed they did not do that. They also served Stouffer's side dishes but claimed those were homemade.  ::)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 10:01:10 PM by TeamBhakta »

Judah

• California, U.S.A
Canned ravioli. I practically lived on that stuff as a kid. A few years ago I was in a supermarket and picked up a can on a whim. Got home, took a bite and threw out the rest. Either I had terrible taste as a kid or they've changed they way they make them.

Me too! And it was a very rare treat for us, so it was extra special. I'd even it cold, right out of the can. Now it just tastes pasty and sweet, blech.   :-[  Whic brings to mind the fact that I used to love sweets, but now anything sweet upsets my stomach. Very sad. :'(
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

CrochetFanatic

*raises hand* Another vote for canned ravioli.  Actually, I don't hate them.  But I can only eat the beef kind.  When I was little, I loved the cheese ravioli and couldn't stomach the beef.  Now they've switched.  Given the choice between canned ravioli and fresh, I will go for the fresh every time, even though it takes longer. 

Also, honey roasted peanuts.  I got sick on them once when I was a kid, and I couldn't even stand the smell for years afterwards.  I've finally reached a point where I can eat them if they're in the house (only in small doses), but I don't actively seek them out. 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
I'll 2nd Kraft mac&cheese and add spaghetti-o's. I can't stand ketchup since drastically reducing the amount of sugar I eat. It's so sweet!

When Napster first came out I was SO excited. All those songs I had loved and hadn't heard for years were going to be mine again! One of the first I downloaded had been one of my favorites back in middle school, "Carrie" by the band Europe. I remembered it fondly and couldn't wait to play it. That lasted maybe a minute and then I shut it off halfway through, said "Good lord my dad was right, I had terrible taste in music!" and deleted it.  ;D

Ooh, I had a Napster-era experience too!  In my case, it was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Me: "Dude, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is on there!  That's awesome!  I don't really need to start studying for my midterm yet; I can watch a few of these!  Haha, the animation is so corny!  I forgot how bad this is!  Oh, and about the giant mutant brain in a jar . . . from another dimension . . . with the robotic foot soldiers . . . and the ninja rat . . . where were those books I needed to study again?"

katycoo

Mock cream
Cheese sticks
Chocolate crackles

dawnfire

Mock cream
Cheese sticks
Chocolate crackles

I loved chocolate crackles as a kid but now they just make me nauseous.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
Raw carrots. I used to love them but now they taste fairly flavorless.

I loved liver sausage but then I found out what the liver is....yeah, no. I still miss the taste though.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Canned ravioli. I practically lived on that stuff as a kid. A few years ago I was in a supermarket and picked up a can on a whim. Got home, took a bite and threw out the rest. Either I had terrible taste as a kid or they've changed they way they make them.

Me too! And it was a very rare treat for us, so it was extra special. I'd even it cold, right out of the can. Now it just tastes pasty and sweet, blech.   :-[  Whic brings to mind the fact that I used to love sweets, but now anything sweet upsets my stomach. Very sad. :'(

No - it always tasted like that.  I think I was the only kid who couldn't stand it.  I would go to other kids' houses and we would have that for lunch.  I would shudder inwardly when the can came out.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well

No - it always tasted like that.  I think I was the only kid who couldn't stand it.  I would go to other kids' houses and we would have that for lunch.  I would shudder inwardly when the can came out.

I could never stand it either; I much preferred Spaghetti-Os with meatballs.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
For some insane reason,  Nathan's Famous in Coney Island used to offer Chow Mein on a bun.  This was gluey, canned vegetable glop served on a slightly sweet hamburger bun. 

As a child, I loved it and my mother would sometimes buy a can of Chun King and make it for a treat.   

Now, the very thought of it revolts me.   

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
Used to love Velveeta - now can only eat it as cheese dip, with LOTS of salsa added.
Bologna
Cheap chocolate (hersheys, nestles, those awful bunnies)
Twinkies

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Another vote for canned ravioli.  DH bought it somewhat recently and I tasted it and almost gagged at how salty it was! Was Chef Boyardee always so salty?

Also Kraft Mac & Cheese.  I prefer the Velveeta shells & cheese now.  They've definitely changed the recipe and you don't get as many noodles in the box (but pay the same amount)

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Coralreef

Powdered mashed potatoes.  I loved them as a kid, now I get dry heaves just typing this.

[/right