Author Topic: I Used To Like That!?! (a spin-off of "Hey, that's actually pretty good")  (Read 9638 times)

Shalamar

My husband and I used to watch Freakazoid, which was an animated show from the same guys who created Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain.  We loved Freakazoid and were super excited when it came out on DVD.  We rented one of the DVDs, settled down one Saturday night with our popcorn and adult beverages, and ... turned it off after one episode.  Somehow, what was funny to us in our 20's was just plain unpleasant in our 40's.

Same for Mad About You.  When we watched that in the 90's, we were newly in love, so Paul and Jaime's antics seemed very familiar to us.  I tried watching it again recently, and I kept yelling "Oh, COME ON!" at the screen. 

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Beyond The Fringe. 

When I was in my teens, I had the album.  I saw the show when it came to Broadway.  I thought it was brilliant. 

Not long ago, we rented a tape of the show.  I couldn't believe how mean-spirited and outright nasty much of it was.  Much of it was also just plain boring. 

I still like the sermon and the 'I'd rather be a judge than a miner' sketch, though.

amylouky

Cadbury's Creme eggs.. I used to love them and look forward to Easter just so I could buy them.

Tried one this year and got through about 1/4 of it before the sweetness was just too much.

selkiewoman

I adored cotton candy as a child, but when I tried it as an adult - big letdown!

Also peanuts - I'm not allergic, but when I was about 10 I ate so many I got sick, was mistakenly diagnosed with appendicitis and had the (completely healthy) organ unceremoniously whipped out.  That set up so many negative associations I can't deal with anything remotely peanutty now.  As a mother of 4 and Nana of 6, I do a lot of gagging over fixing PB sandwiches!  (BTW, anyone else grow up hearing them referred to as 'monkey nuts?')

whiskeytangofoxtrot

I grew up putting ketchup on pancakes; my mother did it, so I did it. Now even the thought of it makes my stomach queasy.

:o

But to be fair, when I was a kid I thought ketchup on pinto beans was the bomb, too. And those little Vienna sausages and Hormel canned tamales- aawwweesommme! (Gack! What the... was I thinking?). Now and again, I'll revisit an old favorite to see if it's as good as I remembered. Yeaah.... not so much.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 01:22:12 PM by whiskeytangofoxtrot »

CrochetFanatic

I used to watch the animated version of "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" almost religiously during one summer when I was little.  I wore out the tape, and was heartbroken.  Later on as an adult, I found it on DVD and snapped it up.  The nostalgia is still there, but it just isn't as good as I remembered.  Well, except for the music. 

booklover03

I used to watch the animated version of "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" almost religiously during one summer when I was little.  I wore out the tape, and was heartbroken.  Later on as an adult, I found it on DVD and snapped it up.  The nostalgia is still there, but it just isn't as good as I remembered.  Well, except for the music.

I did that with The Last Unicorn. I LOVED that movie as a kid and my father hated it with the fire of a thousand suns, but he always rented it for me. I watched it on DVD a few years ago and realized dad was right, it was not great. I don't think it was as awful as he said it was, but it wasn't as good as I remembered it.

staceym

I was trying to think of things that I really don't like anymore; and then realized that as my tastes have changed, I guess I really didn't notice some things..

like :

white meat chicken - I use to LOVE chicken breasts - now I noticed that I much prefer the wings or thighs.  I will still eat the breast if no other option; but prefer the darker meat.

raw button mushrooms - I always ate these when I was youger and loved putting them in my salads..now I notice that I still like them when they are sauteed, but won't eat them raw.

--------

I still enjoy watching a lot of older TV sitcoms (Brady Bunch, .... Van Dyke, Mary Tyler Moore, etc.) - but the one show I can not stand watching any more (not sure it if on reruns any more) is Welcome Back Kotter.. I can't believe I use to love watching that show

bloo

Moon pies.

I bought one after not having had one since I was a kid and threw it away it was so gross. It didn't even taste like real food. :P

StuffedGrapeLeaves

Raisins.  I used to snack on them regularly when I was a child, but now I can't even stomach them.

rose red

• Super Hero!
The Cosby Show.  I use to love it and can't miss it, but now it seems too preachy and snooty (although I admit some scenes are still awesome and never get old). 

I used to love Twinkies too but am disappointed with the taste now.

Burger King's whoppers taste gross now.  I don't know if they changed or if my taste changed, but I still like McDonald's burgers which may or may not mean they changed.

Shalamar

Tried one this year and got through about 1/4 of it before the sweetness was just too much.

Cadbury Creme Eggs have changed since I was a kid.  They used to have a lovely thick shell of chocolate and only a small amount of creme filling, so the sweetness wasn't too much.  Now, they've got more filling than chocolate (cheaper to make, I guess) and I find them sickly.

Morty'sCleaningLady

Just as a suggestion --  with the price of sugar rising and many companies modifying recipes to include more processed foods into recipes (high fructose corn syrup, hydrolized vegetable protein, soy lecithin, etc...) perhaps what actually was yummy junk food when we were children has become vile now.  I still love real ice cream, but popsicles are not so awesome.  I still love cake, but Twinkies are not my favorite. 
Formerly Mrs.Bart

AylaM

Talking about things we used to enjoy watching:

Tom and Jerry and/or Loony Tunes.  And to some extent many kids shows, the one that pops into my head is actually rather new.  But I did initially kinda like it and now I get angry when I watch it: iCarly.

I used to think they were funny.  Then as I got older I watch them and think the "heros" are jerks.  I read somewhere that "Childhood is when you like Jerry and admire his smartness.  Adulthood is when you feel sorry for Tom and realize that Jerry is a jerk".  And many Loony Tunes shows are like that.  And Sam in iCarly is a horrible person.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
I read somewhere that "Childhood is when you like Jerry and admire his smartness.  Adulthood is when you feel sorry for Tom and realize that Jerry is a jerk".  And many Loony Tunes shows are like that.  And Sam in iCarly is a horrible person.

I must have been an early adult, because I always felt sorry for Tom.

Now, with the Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote, I always figured that the Roadrunner really had no idea what was going on with the coyote. He was just running around, and there was this coyote things kept falling on. He never made the connection between the two.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."