Author Topic: I Used To Like That!?! (a spin-off of "Hey, that's actually pretty good")  (Read 11087 times)

Bottlecaps

When I was little, I had a think for sandwiches consisting of nothing but the bread, ketchup, and lettuce.  ???

Oh, and I liked mayonnaise sandwiches as a kid - except it wasn't really mayo, it was Miracle Whip. (My family always used the terms interchangeably, and I didn't learn until a little later in life, upon trying real mayo for the first time, that they are NOT the same and that mayo is made of win.) Either way, it was just plain Miracle Whip between two pieces of bread.

I have no idea how I stomached those two things.
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

magicdomino

I ate mayo sandwiches too, although it was real mayo.  For some reason, the mayonaise jar was kept in a lower cabinet.  The bread was in a drawer next to it.  When I was too little to pull open the refrigerator door (it required a pretty hard yank), I'd make sandwiches out of what I could reach.  Peanut butter must have been in that same cabinet, but the jelly was in the fridge, and one cannot have PB without the J. 

I seem to remember making ketchup sandwiches, but the mayo ones were better.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
So many things!

Any packaged baked good, Hostess, Little Debbies, etc. Nacho cheese Corn-Nuts. Beans'n'weenies. Martha Washington candy.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
This is going to sound weird, but I think it fits.  When I was little (I mean 4 or 5 "little"), I used to get in trouble for pouring pickle juice or the juice from the green olive jar into a cup and drinking it.  I still enjoy pickles and olives, but I still don't know what I was thinking all those years ago!  :P  I'm surprised I didn't get sick from it.

I love pickle juice :)  I don't drink a whole cup anymore, but a little shot fresh out of the fridge is yummy

A shot of pickle juice followed by a shot of whiskey was a favorite treat in college. Can't handle it anymore!

I used to love cream cheese and jelly sandwiches as a kid. Now it makes me want to hurl. My DH still likes those sugary sweet cereals like cinnamon toast crunch. Once in a while I'll try a bite and remember that it is totally gross now.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

TeamBhakta

This is going to sound weird, but I think it fits.  When I was little (I mean 4 or 5 "little"), I used to get in trouble for pouring pickle juice or the juice from the green olive jar into a cup and drinking it.  I still enjoy pickles and olives, but I still don't know what I was thinking all those years ago!  :P  I'm surprised I didn't get sick from it.

I love pickle juice :)  I don't drink a whole cup anymore, but a little shot fresh out of the fridge is yummy

A shot of pickle juice followed by a shot of whiskey was a favorite treat in college. Can't handle it anymore!

I used to love cream cheese and jelly sandwiches as a kid. Now it makes me want to hurl. My DH still likes those sugary sweet cereals like cinnamon toast crunch. Once in a while I'll try a bite and remember that it is totally gross now.

I remember some kids book series where a character used to do that (Babysitters Club, maybe ?) I tried it once and found it disgusting.   :P The only time it tastes good to me is if it's guava, mango or passionfruit jelly with cream cheese.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
I ate mayo sandwiches too, although it was real mayo.  For some reason, the mayonaise jar was kept in a lower cabinet.  The bread was in a drawer next to it.  When I was too little to pull open the refrigerator door (it required a pretty hard yank), I'd make sandwiches out of what I could reach.  Peanut butter must have been in that same cabinet, but the jelly was in the fridge, and one cannot have PB without the J. 

I seem to remember making ketchup sandwiches, but the mayo ones were better.

When I was a kid, my favorite after-school snack was a mayo and potato chip sandwich.  I also liked drinking pickle juice.  When I was feeling sophisticated a mustard sandwich was in order.  It's a wonder I survived to adulthood. 

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!

Have you tried it the other way around? First whiskey, then pickle juice; it's a pickleback. I can't do whiskey but i have friends that love the pickleback.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Dear Team Bakhta,

When I was a child, I was in college before I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  Cream cheese and jelly was the default in our family.  I still think peanut butter is a bit strange and the jelly should be Welche's Grapelade. 

TeamBhakta

Dear Team Bakhta,

When I was a child, I was in college before I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  Cream cheese and jelly was the default in our family.  I still think peanut butter is a bit strange and the jelly should be Welche's Grapelade.

I find grape jelly revolting. Bizarrely, though, it is my dad's absolute favorite jelly flavor.

Optimoose Prime

My husband still drinks the pickle juice.  Not a full cup but will take a swig out of the jar.  He's the only one who eats those pickles so whatever.

Bottlecaps

Dear Team Bakhta,

I was gonna say, a cream cheese and jelly sandwich actually sounds pretty tasty. I've put cream cheese and jelly on a bagel before, so I'm guessing it wouldn't be all that different. I'm a strawberry jelly fan though. I like grape too, but strawberry is always my first choice. :)

Oh! When we were little kids, my best friend would eat butter sandwiches! I don't think she still eats them though, hehe. Her mom would make me a peanut butter & jelly sandwich, and make her a butter sandwich. :)
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
Cream cheese and blackcurrant Jam or Jelly. Divine.  Almost as good Cream cheese and Bramble Jelly. At a pinch Cream Cheese and Lemon Curd.

CrochetFanatic

I used to like grape jelly while gagging at the thought of strawberry.  Now I can eat the strawberry jelly if that's all that's there, but I'm not a big fan of grape anymore.  I have trouble spreading it without tearing up the bread.  My favorite is blackberry jam!  I think it tastes so much better, and it's easy to spread.  Plus, no seeds.

LadyJaneinMD

Moon Pies, definitely.  I saw them in a store a couple of years ago and thought, 'Cool! I love Moon Pies!'
They were NASTY.

Spaghetti-Os (anything made by Franco American) tastes like soap to me.  Don't know why.

I used to LOVE Chef Boy-R-Dee ravioli in a can.  Now I can't stand them.

The original tv dinners:  We loved them as kids, but now that I think about it, it was probably the novelty that we loved.  Our mother was a superb cook.

I still love Velveeta, but it tastes overly salty to me, so I limit my contact with it.  Mixed with lots of salsa though, it's excellent.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
We used to eat peanut butter, grape jelly, and butter sandwiches, on white bread. Also the same combo on saltine crackers. The thought even revolts me now - I can't imagine eating one. Blech!

I also remember as a child loving the taste of raw (well, right out of the refrigerator) hot dogs, and spaghettios out of the can, cold. The combination was a favorite. I can't even fathom eating that now - the last time I had spaghettios, warm, the were vile. Cold would be right out.