Author Topic: I Used To Like That!?! (a spin-off of "Hey, that's actually pretty good")  (Read 9651 times)

MerryCat

Spaghetti with ketchup, sometimes with some hot dogs chopped up in it. I totally loved it as a kid, but it seems really weird to me now.

Shalamar

The original tv dinners:  We loved them as kids, but now that I think about it, it was probably the novelty that we loved.  Our mother was a superb cook.

Same here!  My parents were pretty poor and we rarely ate out or bought packaged meals, but when we did, they were a real treat.

123sandy

I adored cotton candy as a child, but when I tried it as an adult - big letdown!

Also peanuts - I'm not allergic, but when I was about 10 I ate so many I got sick, was mistakenly diagnosed with appendicitis and had the (completely healthy) organ unceremoniously whipped out.  That set up so many negative associations I can't deal with anything remotely peanutty now.  As a mother of 4 and Nana of 6, I do a lot of gagging over fixing PB sandwiches!  (BTW, anyone else grow up hearing them referred to as 'monkey nuts?')

They're still monkey nuts in our house!

Lynn2000

Pizza Hut pizza. When I was a teenager pepperoni and the new cheese-stuffed crust was so incredibly awesome. As I've gotten older I'll occasionally order one all for myself and I'm usually very disappointed. The bottom crust is so thin and bland, it seems like there's hardly any cheese in the "cheese-stuffed crust," and of course it's quite greasy but not in that "deliciously greasy" way. The other day I thought about ordering one and then thought, "No, remember how icky it was last time. Don't even bother." And I didn't. :(

I do wonder if there could be differences between the stores that make them? Sometimes when I visit my parents we get Pizza Hut pizza from my hometown store and it's usually better than my (very low) expectations.

Similar with McDonald's cheeseburgers. I devoured them whenever I could as a kid, then went through a sad "adult" phase when I realized they were terrible. I still get one every once in a while, and randomly it will be super-awesome, enough to keep me coming back. We have several different McDonald's in town that I buy from and I've never noticed if the awesome cheeseburgers are coming from one particular store or not.
~Lynn2000

Redwing

Dear Team Bakhta,

When I was a child, I was in college before I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  Cream cheese and jelly was the default in our family.  I still think peanut butter is a bit strange and the jelly should be Welche's Grapelade.

I was gonna say, a cream cheese and jelly sandwich actually sounds pretty tasty. I've put cream cheese and jelly on a bagel before, so I'm guessing it wouldn't be all that different. I'm a strawberry jelly fan though. I like grape too, but strawberry is always my first choice. :)

Oh! When we were little kids, my best friend would eat butter sandwiches! I don't think she still eats them though, hehe. Her mom would make me a peanut butter & jelly sandwich, and make her a butter sandwich. :)

When I was a kid, we would butter and sugar sandwiches.  We loved them.  I cannot imagine why.  I'm sure my mom gave it to us because it was relatively cheap and with 7 kids and never a large amount of money coming in, you do what you can.

magicdomino

The original tv dinners:  We loved them as kids, but now that I think about it, it was probably the novelty that we loved.  Our mother was a superb cook.

Same here!  My parents were pretty poor and we rarely ate out or bought packaged meals, but when we did, they were a real treat.

Oh yes!  Pre-microwave, they took something like 40 minutes to bake, so my mother figured it was faster and cheaper to heat up leftovers.  One year, we had turkey TV dinners for Thanksgiving.  My mother missed the turkey leftovers, but I was very happy. 

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
... , and make her a butter sandwich. :)

I seem to remember reading a history of what the U.S. Gov. has recommended people eat.  The one from (the 40's?) said that an ideal evening meal for kids was buttered bread (not toasted) with a glass of milk.  Now days I think that meal would be high on the opposite list. 

Optimoose Prime

We used to get butter on Wonder Bread at school in the government sponsored school lunch.  I used to love it because it was the only time we got white bread.

Baby Snakes

Mine was Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup.  It was my absolute favorite as a child but now it tastes like salty dishwater.

snowflake

I used to LOOOOOOVE fried chicken.  Now I can't get over the heartburn.  Oh age, age, age!

I liked white bread.  Now it tastes like Styrofoam.

I also used to make myself fried potato sandwiches.  No joke: Cut up a potato, fry it in oil, and put it between bread.  Add fresh parsley and salt.  I can't even see the point of it anymore.  I think this was invented once out of necessity because my parents were really bad about making sure there were sandwich things.  But I kept up this recipe even when there was ham, peanut butter, or other things available for lunch.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!

I agree with this.  My mother made a fantastic lasagna but there was something exotic about the TV Dinner version.  It was especially so when some of the sauce got into the little brownie at the top of the tray.  TV dinners weren't considered real food but they were fun lunches after a morning of sledding. 

nayberry

ok some different things as in the UK but some the same

pizza hut pizza''s, just not nice, far too greasy for me, especially as we've been to italy and had the real thing.

i still love aubergine (eggplant) but sadly it doesn't like me and i end up in hospital if i have it, :'( only exception is roasted, scooped and mixed with natural yogurt & spices as a dip.

Shalamar

I liked white bread.  Now it tastes like Styrofoam.

I was in a hurry today and bought a pre-packaged turkey sandwich instead of making my own lunch.  The sandwich was on white bread with (shudder) mayo.  I hate mayo and haven't had white bread in years - and I realized that I haven't missed it, even though it used to be my favorite.    Give me my seed-y Dempster's any old day.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Pan or deep dish pizza. Yuck. Hand-tossed, thin or flatbread? Count me in!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Pan or deep dish pizza. Yuck. Hand-tossed, thin or flatbread? Count me in!

Pizza is always a big bone of contention.  Chicagoans and New Yorkers can argue for hours about what a real pizza is. I love a Chicago deep-dish pie but, to me, the dish isn't quite pizza.

Here, a proper pizza should have a thin, crisp crust with a little sauce, cheese and no more than two toppings. Anything more makes the pizza impossible to fold and every New Yorker knows that the proper way to eat a slice of pizza Is to fold it in half and start at the point, chowing down stringy cheese as you go.  Anything that has to be eaten with a knife and fork  is suspect.

We can agree with relatives who live near Chicago that their version is the 'Dionysian' style while ours is the 'Apollonian' style.  Then, we order in Chinese or Barbecue instead of arguing. 

Please, let us not get into the debate about Barbecue.