Author Topic: I Used To Like That!?! (a spin-off of "Hey, that's actually pretty good")  (Read 9711 times)

Bottlecaps

I still love the brownie batter that comes in frozen food dinners. I take it out of the tray and eat it cold while the meal is cooking  >:D

I gotta do that sometime! I even said to Mr. Bottlecaps here a while back, "I should try and cut the brownie compartment out, I bet the batter would be really good uncooked!"

What I remember most is that they took forever to cook in the oven, or maybe to two impatient pre-teens it just took forever. 

Nope, they really do take forever in the oven. I remember looking at the box once while I had one cooking in the microwave, and read that it took something like 45 minutes in the oven. I've heard they turn out better in the oven than they do in the microwave, but waiting that long, especially when I'm hungry? Oh, ehell no, lol. I'm too impatient for all that!
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

MissRose

I used to eat lots of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, now I will not have them as my mother packed them as lunch so often while I was in school.  I don't really eat many regular sandwiches between slices of bread these days for same reason.  I prefer to have sandwiches theses days that are on some type of bun or roll.

Most packaged boxed mac n cheese: most of the cheeses don't taste like cheese to me

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
Pizza Hut Pizza. OK, any kind of pizza that is not thin crust. Or whole grain.
I have pet mice!

delabela

Pizza Hut Pizza. OK, any kind of pizza that is not thin crust. Or whole grain.

Oh yeah - I don't have to eat whole grain, but the bready, heavy tomato flavor of Pizza Hut/Dominoes - scarfed it down as a kid, hate it now.

whiskeytangofoxtrot

Forgot about pancakes. I ate so many as a kid that I'm still not nuts about them. I'm slightly hypoglycemic too, so protein is a better breakfast choice for me than carbs. I'll make an exception for DHs sourdough pancakes- wowza, those things are tasty!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Ramen noodles.

I haven't been able to eat those since I was pregnant with my first child.  Oddly though I don't mind cup o' soup.  It's just the packages with the noodles and flavoring. :P Blech.

A college friend used to douse them in Old Bay...come to think of it he doused everything in Old Bay.  I don't think even that could save it for me.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
I also bought some canned ravioli, etc. last fall during superstorm Sandy. I figured, since everything in my apt is electric, if i were starving, i could eat them cold. BLECH. DISGUSTING. I now have a bunch I need to donate to the food bank as it was just gross.

Twinkies. never really loved tham as a kid, but had a craving one day and bought some. also disgusting.

and pretty much any tv show that was popular during the 70's or 80's. My favorite was Emergency! - which last fall showed up on METV. I religiously watched every episode, but oh how cheesy it was, between the dialogue, the interaction and squeaky clean personalities, and how NOT attractive either John or Roy really was. I got to the point I couldn't even finish watching out all I had DVRd as they were just so bad. Then again, I was say 6-8 in its heyday, and it was the only tv show I was allowed to watch (since it was on Sat and no tv was allowed during the weeek)

One Fish, Two Fish

ABCs & 123s with Meatballs (no other pasta shape would do & it had to have meatballs) & grits with ketchup were my favorite comfort foods as a kid.   Never again.  Yuck.
I'll get there.  Eventually.

lilfox

Ramen noodles.

I haven't been able to eat those since I was pregnant with my first child.  Oddly though I don't mind cup o' soup.  It's just the packages with the noodles and flavoring. :P Blech.

I'm the opposite - I used to love Cup o Noodles when I was a kid, but never had packaged ramen until college.  Now I can't stand the Cup o Noodles, don't care for actual ramen (restaurant-prepared), but just bought myself another multi-pack of ramen for when I have a salty noodle craving.

Also, I'm the one who still likes canned ravioli  ;D  though Spaghetti-o's (the mystery-meatball kind!) are too sweet for me now.  I also used to reward myself with Twinkies in grad school (getting through a 30+ page technical journal article deserves a treat!) until I realized what a bad idea that was.

I also submit any family-based sitcom from the mid-'80s such as Family Ties, Who's the Boss, Cosby Show, the one with Kirk Cameron.  Cannot watch now, too painful, obvious, saccharine-sweet, and slow-paced.

rose red

• Super Hero!
*snip*

Also, I'm the one who still likes canned ravioli  ;D  though Spaghetti-o's (the mystery-meatball kind!) are too sweet for me now.  I also used to reward myself with Twinkies in grad school (getting through a 30+ page technical journal article deserves a treat!) until I realized what a bad idea that was.

I still eat canned ravioli too once in a while.  I first have to drain most of the sauce before cooking though.

Shalamar

I also submit any family-based sitcom from the mid-'80s such as Family Ties, Who's the Boss, Cosby Show, the one with Kirk Cameron.  Cannot watch now, too painful, obvious, saccharine-sweet, and slow-paced.

On the flip side of that, it's a delight to find an old sitcom that still holds up.  I've been watching Cheers on DVD and was very pleased to find that I still thought it was hilarious.  Same with All in the Family and Maude.

Topic:  I used to love potato chips dipped in Miracle Whip - the more Miracle Whip, the better.  Now, the very idea makes me go  :o

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Sauce Arturo. 

I think it was meant to be a cooking sauce but when I stayed overnight with my aunt, we would use it as a pasta sauce.  The stuff was more brown rather than red and somewhat spicy.  As a child, I thought it one of the most sophisticated things on the planet to eat.   A few years ago, probably not in my right mind from a bout of flu, I bought a can.  It was ghastly!

Also, I remember that, back in the 1950s, Ragu marketed big jars of Pre-cooked  wagon wheels or shell pasta in the sauce.  I remember them as wonderful.  They aren't sold now but I wonder what I'd think about them if they did.     

TeamBhakta

On the flip side of that, it's a delight to find an old sitcom that still holds up.  I've been watching Cheers on DVD and was very pleased to find that I still thought it was hilarious.  Same with All in the Family and Maude.

Topic:  I used to love potato chips dipped in Miracle Whip - the more Miracle Whip, the better.  Now, the very idea makes me go  :o

I had the opposite reaction to Cheers. I used to love staying up late to watch it with my dad when I was little. But now that I've started watching it again lately, I really dislike much of it. I hate how Carla randomly tells Cliff "You should kill yourself." I hate that Rebecca won't shut up about Robin. I'm icked out by Sam wanting to play scrabble with a mom and daughter, and all the guys high fiving him about "You'll be living our dream." I can't stand how dopey Woody is supposed to be. 

robobecky

I've watched some Cosby reruns as an adult-I was a kid when it was on-and I saw an episode from right after Denise had gotten married.  I was highly disturbed that cliff and the husband had a conversation about how Denise was a vir-gin on her wedding night.  It was a slightly veiled conversation but obvious to an adult.  I was disturbed cliff asked and that the husband answered the question.  I can't imagine my father asking an SO that about me!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Am watching "Annie" now, the version with Aileen Quinn and Carol Burnett.  I loved this movie dearly when I was a kid.  Now I watch it and much of it gets on my nerves, like the voices of the girls to the point where I can sympathize when Miss Hannigan sings "Little Girls".   

Actually there was a point when I went from saying Annie was my favorite character to wishing I could have a chance to play Miss Hannigan.  :) But then I'm a huge Carol Burnett fan so that's probably a factor.  I love her as Miss Hannigan.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata