Author Topic: Gym Etiquette/Fitness Class question  (Read 2357 times)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Re: Gym Etiquette/Fitness Class question
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 01:16:16 PM »
If the class is listed as suitable for all levels, the instructor should be teaching to all levels, and should not be calling the newbies out like that.  Definitely contact the gym. 

sweetonsno

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 01:31:32 PM »
Not "you shouldn't be in this class", but "you should should not be with me".  It's kind of odd wording. And then "you're not doing what I'm doing".  I almost wonder if she meant "you're not supposed to be doing what I'm doing". Like she was trying to convey that you were supposed to mirror her instead of following her exactly.

I had the same thought.

Me, too. I think it's probable that she was showing a more advanced variation. In many of the classes that I attend, the instructors will show the basic move and both a more advanced and more beginner variation. People who are still building a base should use the beginner move, even if the instructor models the advanced version for some of the reps in the set.

While yelling across the room like that wasn't the best move (a general "If this is your first time taking the class, you should use the beginner variation for all sets" or something similar would be okay), this could have been an issue of safety.

I really doubt that she was trying to tell you all to leave. I think it was just a reminder that you should be doing the beginner version rather than the advanced. If something similar ever happens in another class, ask for clarity right away. "I'm sorry, what should I be doing?" You could also approach the instructor after class to ask her to explain.

LB

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 01:45:47 PM »
Then she should have showed us the beginner moves to start with, shouldn't she?

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 02:01:31 PM »
I have been through Zumba and step classes where I marched in place for much of the class.  I would have been humiliated to be singled out (or in a group pointed out).  Go talk to the gym, and show them the class description.

ETA: If possible, take your friends who were there with you.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 02:02:05 PM »
This is a sure-fire way to embarrass someone into thinking they can't exercise.  OP, you were not too sensitive.  The instructor was a clod.  If she felt the class was too intense for you she could have pulled you (and any others) aside and suggested a more elementary level class.  POD to those who've said to contact the gym management.