General Etiquette > Life...in general

To share or not ... that is the question

(1/54) > >>

Cuddlepie:
I would like everyones' honest feedback please.  Would you be OK with a lodger (not a friend or relative) using your personal hand-crotched blanket while they watch TV?

BG:  As I have been working less due to health issues, I have taken in a female lodger (furnished room with utilities included but not food etc) to help cover the bills.  Overall she is a good lodger although there are a few things that annoy me and I feel these annoyances are colouring my view regarding the blanket.  Over the last couple of months I have learnt that given an inch she will take a mile ...  eg:  asked if she could have a headache tablet, then a week later when I went to take one there were none left, which meant she had later helped herself to further tablets.

I feel that this blanket is 'mine' and not included with the rent.  Am I being ridiculous or not?

NyaChan:
Is this really a lodger or a roommate?  Just wondering how you would characterize the relationship in terms of your interaction and how the common areas are split up.

If I was rooming with someone I didn't know at all and had purely a business relationship with, I would ask them not to use the blanket and take it back right then and there.  If I were rooming with someone I am friendly with and came home to find them using my blanket which I leave on my couch, I wouldn't mind but might think it odd - especially so if they have their own blanket out but chose not to use it for whatever reason.  If I wanted to use it, I would not hesitate to tell them to return it to me.

As for the pills, i would talk to her about it.  "Lodger, I understood that you would only be using 1 pill to tide you over until you purchased your own.  I see that you have since used the entire bottle.  Please replace the bottle that you used.  In the future, please ask before you borrow or use my things."

snowdragon:
I would not wants anyone using my personal blanket. having it be handmade makes it worse. The pill thing would drive me nuts - and since she only had permission for one pill, I would be re-evaulating having her in my home, what else is she taking without permission.

And I agree that when I wanted it she'd have to give it up

kareng57:
Is the blanket immediately accessible, such as already being folded onto the couch?  If so, I don't think that she's out-of-line for using it.  If it's in a closet and she's taking it out, she ought to ask permission first.

The pill issue - yes, that's indeed bothersome.  If it were me, I'd start keeping the pills in my own private space.

LifeOnPluto:

--- Quote from: kareng57 on April 21, 2013, 11:03:10 PM ---Is the blanket immediately accessible, such as already being folded onto the couch?  If so, I don't think that she's out-of-line for using it.  If it's in a closet and she's taking it out, she ought to ask permission first.

The pill issue - yes, that's indeed bothersome.  If it were me, I'd start keeping the pills in my own private space.

--- End quote ---

Yep. I think it largely depends on where the blanket was lying.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version