Author Topic: To share or not ... that is the question  (Read 36305 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: To share or not ... that is the question
« Reply #195 on: May 13, 2013, 12:10:55 AM »
we need to sign off on paperwork detailing any damages that may or may not be caused by Lodger and her relatives.

Do you have a similar list of conditions when she moved in, so you have a comparison? If not, it's something you should have done - and need to do if you have another boarder. That should be standard. If you don't have that (signed by both parties), you're going to potentially have a hard time if she contests any damages.

Cuddlepie

« Reply #196 on: May 13, 2013, 12:21:23 AM »
we need to sign off on paperwork detailing any damages that may or may not be caused by Lodger and her relatives.

Do you have a similar list of conditions when she moved in, so you have a comparison? If not, it's something you should have done - and need to do if you have another boarder. That should be standard. If you don't have that (signed by both parties), you're going to potentially have a hard time if she contests any damages.

Yes,  I typed sheet listing everything as unmarked and undamaged and also photos of the walls and the funiture.  Lodger and I both signed and dated these.  She has a copy and I have a copy

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #197 on: May 13, 2013, 06:03:47 AM »
I think it is a good idea for you to be at home when she leaves. I'd be worried about something getting damaged by her..  :(
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #198 on: May 13, 2013, 11:12:39 AM »
I think it is a good idea for you to be at home when she leaves. I'd be worried about something getting damaged by her..  :(

I agree.  It sounds like she might be the sort to do something vindictive.  She probably wouldn't, but it's still safer to be there while the move out is taking place. 

doodlemor

« Reply #199 on: May 13, 2013, 11:34:18 AM »
Be careful of the plumbing, too.  A close friend of ours had a disgruntled young woman tenant flush lady products down the toilet to plug it.  Her husband had to dig up the pipes and clear them out.

DavidH

« Reply #200 on: May 13, 2013, 11:56:34 AM »
Presumably she can start moving her stuff out whenever she wants.  The only part you need to be there for is to do a final walk through and to sign the paperwork.  Since you didn't take a deposit, you will likely need to sue her if you need to collect additional money, since she doesn't sound like she will be forthcoming with it.

"If Lodger told me it was none of my business and I could stay home all weekend waiting for her to leave, me accommodating her and her relatives schedule would stop and Lodger would be given a day and time.  I presume that in the eyes of the law reasonableness works both ways" 

I don't think you are being reasonable at all.  You gave her notice to move out.  A landlord doesn't get to tell you when you need to move unless that was in the initial contract, just when you need to be out by.  If you want to be there, that's understandable, but you're going to need to work around her schedule.

Just as making her wait for the decision was teaching her a lesson, this is doing the same.  As long as she's out by her last day, how she accomplishes this is really up to her.  From a practical standpoint, what can you do if she doesn't tell you when she's planning on moving out, make her stay, not let her move out even though the deadline has past?

veronaz

« Reply #201 on: May 13, 2013, 12:48:39 PM »
Cuddlepie,
Your goal is for her to pack up her possessions and leave your home – period.  Where she goes after she leaves is not your concern.  You don’t know for sure whether or not she is looking, and that is also not your concern.

You shouldn’t be speculating about what you assume she is thinking- that serves no purpose.

Yes, you should be there when she actually moves out and it might be a good idea to have someone else also be there.

Did you give her written notice?  (It's important your notice is written, not just verbal.) Then she needs to move by the end of the day on that date.  She needs to organize and pack her things and probably get help moving.  Asking her “when are you moving” is only annoying her and right now she doesn’t have an exact date and time.  When she does, I think she will let you know.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #202 on: May 13, 2013, 12:50:57 PM »
I wouldn't want a hostile person to have one last crack at my home and my possessions without my being present.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #203 on: May 13, 2013, 12:52:35 PM »
I wouldn't want a hostile person to have one last crack at my home and my possessions without my being present.

Me either, so I would make sure I was there.  It seems fair to ascertain exactly when that will be, but any info beyond that, like where she's going, if she's found a place yet, etc. is unnecessary.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #204 on: May 13, 2013, 12:54:50 PM »

And no one is saying she should.  But the boarder does have rights here as well.  And being hounded as to when she's planning to move isn't the OP's place to be doing.  As long as she's out by the deadline (and I, like a previous poster, hope that that was in writing and not verbal), she's done what she is required to do.

Likewise, it's none of the OP's business as to where the boarder is going next - other than the ability to forward her mail to her.

I agree with David, Cuddlepie is being taught some things here, too.  All of this "learning" isn't just for the boarder to be doing here.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #205 on: May 13, 2013, 12:55:34 PM »

Me either, so I would make sure I was there.  It seems fair to ascertain exactly when that will be, but any info beyond that, like where she's going, if she's found a place yet, etc. is unnecessary.

I've not read where Cuddlepie has asked where she's moving.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #206 on: May 13, 2013, 01:05:58 PM »
Up till now, Lodger has not told me whether or not she has a new place to live in

LW, this isn't CP's place to ask.  The only thing she needs is for the boarder to move by the deadline.  Where she goes after that point - or whether she has a new place to live - is not her concern.  As long as the boarder is out by the deadline, she can live anywhere - a friend's house, a hotel, another house like the OP's, under a bridge, wherever.  That's not the OP's business to be asking.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #207 on: May 13, 2013, 01:08:05 PM »
Up till now, Lodger has not told me whether or not she has a new place to live in

LW, this isn't CP's place to ask.  The only thing she needs is for the boarder to move by the deadline.  Where she goes after that point - or whether she has a new place to live - is not her concern.  As long as the boarder is out by the deadline, she can live anywhere - a friend's house, a hotel, another house like the OP's, under a bridge, wherever.  That's not the OP's business to be asking.

I see asking if she has some place to move as being part of the question of when she will move. It's no big deal to me at all.

veronaz

« Reply #208 on: May 13, 2013, 01:09:32 PM »
Boarder needs to file a change of address as soon as she has a new address.  That’s her responsibility, and I would not want to deal with her mail for very long.  As far as any mail that might come in the interim (before the change takes effect), maybe the two of you can come to an agreement about placing her mail in a concealed place on the porch or someplace.

OP, you don’t need to know what her plans are.  As far as fear about “damages”, well, just use common sense.  No need to get melodramatic.  (I'm not saying you are, just that there's no need.)

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #209 on: May 13, 2013, 01:09:42 PM »

I've not read where Cuddlepie has asked where she's moving.

I didn't say she did.