Author Topic: Homework help, Australian culture  (Read 8722 times)

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
Re: Homework help, Australian culture
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2013, 11:06:47 PM »
*coughs*

Um, some of us "outback Aussies" might disagree with that, Life on Pluto.

Just because you mob o' galahs are urbanites, doesn't mean all Aussies are!

Signed:  the Flanno-wearing, jeans encased, Akubra'd, knife-wielding, rodeo attending, ute driving (and yes, my main ute is a shiny one) cattle-breeding Aussie!

Redsoil - yes, but do you wrestle crocodiles?  :)

Iris

« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2013, 11:49:29 PM »
Iris, there is plenty of swimming here in Tasmania.  Even tiny little towns have heated public pools.  The local creeks and rivers also get a lot of use over summer.  Some days when the weather is right people actually surf in the Derwent River - it is quite wide through the Sandy Bay / Hobart area and gets a very impressive swell up.

I didn't mean to imply that there wasn't, sorry. I just meant to say that I, personally, don't know anyone who can't swim at all past age 7, and was wildly throwing in Tasmania as a hypothetical, ironically because I didn't want people to feel as though I was being smug and saying "EVERYONE can swim" and then reply "Actually, in X area...". Clearly that backfired!

I will say that I have found that people in isolated areas (such as the small town I lived in for a while) are not necessarily *strong* swimmers as they don't always get a chance to practice. It was the total lack of the ability to do anything at ALL that really struck me about this woman.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

dawnfire

« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2013, 12:18:07 AM »
Iris, there is plenty of swimming here in Tasmania.  Even tiny little towns have heated public pools.  The local creeks and rivers also get a lot of use over summer.  Some days when the weather is right people actually surf in the Derwent River - it is quite wide through the Sandy Bay / Hobart area and gets a very impressive swell up.

I didn't mean to imply that there wasn't, sorry. I just meant to say that I, personally, don't know anyone who can't swim at all past age 7, and was wildly throwing in Tasmania as a hypothetical, ironically because I didn't want people to feel as though I was being smug and saying "EVERYONE can swim" and then reply "Actually, in X area...". Clearly that backfired!

I will say that I have found that people in isolated areas (such as the small town I lived in for a while) are not necessarily *strong* swimmers as they don't always get a chance to practice. It was the total lack of the ability to do anything at ALL that really struck me about this woman.

I can't swim and I'm nearly 40. I can float and dog paddle but that's it. Swimming in primary school wasn't compulsory and in high school when we did it, it was impossible to do as we shared the pool with about 3 other schools at the same time. My middle son learned to swim at the age of 10 (he's now 13)not with the school but with private lessons. I don't know what they taught him in those previous years but having the lessons in only a 2 week block make what they learn easy to forget

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2013, 01:02:35 AM »

Quite all right, I read it as you weren't sure.   :D 

Redsoil

« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2013, 07:51:35 AM »
*coughs*

Um, some of us "outback Aussies" might disagree with that, Life on Pluto.

Just because you mob o' galahs are urbanites, doesn't mean all Aussies are!

Signed:  the Flanno-wearing, jeans encased, Akubra'd, knife-wielding, rodeo attending, ute driving (and yes, my main ute is a shiny one) cattle-breeding Aussie!

Redsoil - yes, but do you wrestle crocodiles?  :)

Only in leap years.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2013, 03:19:33 AM »

No-one has mentioned that Oz is also one of the most dangerous countries in terms of the widlife.

7 of the top ten snakes; a jellyfish the size of a matchbox that can kill you in 10 minutes; birds taller than a man that will disembowel you; kangaroos that cam outrun cars and kick you to death; rockfish and octipii that are the deadliest in the world; the largest crocodiles in the world who actively hunt Humans, along with the razorbacks (wild pigs); wild camels who try and eat you, along with the horses and goats; sharks that lurk along the beaches waiting for those tasty crunchy Humans to go swimming.

Really, the only non-lethal animals in Oz are some of the sheep. Almost everything else is happy to try and have you for lunch.

Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Pen^2

« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2013, 03:42:49 AM »

No-one has mentioned that Oz is also one of the most dangerous countries in terms of the widlife.

7 of the top ten snakes; a jellyfish the size of a matchbox that can kill you in 10 minutes; birds taller than a man that will disembowel you; kangaroos that cam outrun cars and kick you to death; rockfish and octipii that are the deadliest in the world; the largest crocodiles in the world who actively hunt Humans, along with the razorbacks (wild pigs); wild camels who try and eat you, along with the horses and goats; sharks that lurk along the beaches waiting for those tasty crunchy Humans to go swimming.

Really, the only non-lethal animals in Oz are some of the sheep. Almost everything else is happy to try and have you for lunch.

Actually, it does annoy me how Australia is marketed overseas. They show beautiful beaches and nature scenes, and people get the idea that you can just walk into the water anywhere and start swimming, or that a walk in the bush is a walk in the park. All the locals know to swim between the flags, to be noisy to scare off snakes, what to do in the case of a spider bite, and how to avoid blue ring octopuses. A tremendous number of tourists don't and suffer the consequences. I feel the tourism ads they cook up are dangerously misleading. It's not the straight-forward eden they protray.

Iris

« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2013, 04:09:35 AM »

Actually, it does annoy me how Australia is marketed overseas. They show beautiful beaches and nature scenes, and people get the idea that you can just walk into the water anywhere and start swimming, or that a walk in the bush is a walk in the park. All the locals know to swim between the flags, to be noisy to scare off snakes, what to do in the case of a spider bite, and how to avoid blue ring octopuses. A tremendous number of tourists don't and suffer the consequences. I feel the tourism ads they cook up are dangerously misleading. It's not the straight-forward eden they protray.

I don't know, I think you could say that about any country really. When people travel OS it makes sense to do a little bit of homework. Also given the way some Aussies (I'm looking at you, Fliss  ;)) like to massively exaggerate the dangers I actually have met more tourists filled with unreasonable fears than I have met unwise ones.

sarahj21

« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2013, 06:38:20 AM »
Not having read the middle pages of this thread I'm gonna keep this short. :)

For information on travelling through the outback, there is a wonderful DVD series called Russell Coight's All Aussie Adventures. It's actually a comedy series and the advice is good but things tend to go wrong for poor Russell. The actor who plays Russell is Glenn Robbins and he's hilarious. He lives in my neighbourhood and I've told him I tell foreigners to watch his DVDs. :D Type "Russell Coight" into Youtube and I promise you will laugh and also learn something about the outback.

katycoo

« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2013, 07:36:17 AM »

I don't know, I think you could say that about any country really. When people travel OS it makes sense to do a little bit of homework. Also given the way some Aussies (I'm looking at you, Fliss  ;)) like to massively exaggerate the dangers I actually have met more tourists filled with unreasonable fears than I have met unwise ones.

No, I'd have no idea was to do with a spider bite or how to avoid a blue ringed octopus.

Carotte

« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2013, 07:48:16 AM »

Even that I have my doubt since I saw a movie about zombie sheeps :).

I'm not sure I saw it mentioned, but isn't there some place up high that also gets snow?
I have a vague recollection of the lady who presented the Camberra university (to my school in France) mentioning it. She also said that yes, they did get kangaroos on the campus sometimes :).

Pen^2

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2013, 08:02:13 AM »

Even that I have my doubt since I saw a movie about zombie sheeps :).

I'm not sure I saw it mentioned, but isn't there some place up high that also gets snow?
I have a vague recollection of the lady who presented the Camberra university (to my school in France) mentioning it. She also said that yes, they did get kangaroos on the campus sometimes :).

Thredbo gets snow quite a lot (it being next to Mt Kosciuszko, the highest peak on continental Australia), but plenty of other places also snow during the colder months of the year. Lots of towns in Tasmania, the most southern (and therefore, coldest) state, get a light layer of snow a few times a year. They have ski fields and everything. Even the capital Hobart snows (not just on Mt Wellington, the often snow-covered mountain that overlooks the city, either) every couple of years right down in the city, but admittedly not much. Touch-the-ground-and-melt kind of stuff.

Oh, and a second vote for Russell Coight. He always has me in stitches.

Iris

« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2013, 05:55:32 PM »

No, I'd have no idea was to do with a spider bite or how to avoid a blue ringed octopus.

That may well be, but a camel still won't eat you, nor will a kangaroo actively chase you down, although both of them are certainly capable of hurting you if you annoy them too much.

Oh, and just so you know snake and spider bites get a pressure bandage and a trip to hospital asap, except feedbacks which get ice and a trip to the hospital...To paraphrase one of our leading snake and spider experts "just don't get bitten. There's no reason why you should"

A really good rule of thumb for Australian wildlife is that if it has  a big warning mark it's because it really doesn't want to bite you but it will if you poke it. So blue ringed octopusses just want to be left alone I.e. don't poke your hand willynilly into rock pools. For redbacks if you see one just leave it alone, and don't poke your fingers into dark nooks and crannies. I like to think of them as Darwin's little helpers.

In all of Australia there's only one animal that actually wants to eat you and that's a crocodile. When I visited northern Queensland I was struck by the way that every single body of water that could possibly house a croc had signs in multiple languages saying "don't swim here. No really, we're not kidding. Just don't" so it's not like people don't get warned...

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2013, 06:15:00 PM »
Kangaroos will beat you up if you bother them too much, but they do generally just hop away if they see humans.

Oh, and if you go to Fraser Island don't feed the dingoes. They do look like cute puppies, but they aren't.

Micah

« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2013, 07:44:48 PM »
The only time a kangaroo will beat you up in the wild is if you corner it, which is unlikely,  because they're FAST. The majority of problems with kangaroos is at wildlife parks where they get fed by tourists. They're quiet (which is not the same as tame) & if you run out of food, or do something they don't like, Wham!

I find it quite amusing that people think Australia is SOOO DANGEROUS! I've like here all my life & lived in every state and territory at one time or another. The rules are basically, don't be stupid. In the top end, don't swim in water holes. Everywhere, don't play with spiders, poke your hands into little dark holes, or crawl under houses & verandahs. If you go bushwalking, wear long pants and boots, keep your eyes peeled and carry a first aid kit. Yes we have LOTS of venemous snakes, but they're not aggressive unless cornered or hassled. Generally they try to get away from you as fast as possible.

Koalas on the other hand are grumpy, stinky creatures with claws like wolverine. I really don't see the appeal....
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."