Author Topic: Homework help, Australian culture  (Read 10397 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: Homework help, Australian culture
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2013, 08:13:58 PM »
Some Australian animals are useful. Like huntsmen spiders to kill the pesky American cockroaches. The worst encounter with spiders you probably will have involves swimming pools. Funnel webs do like pools so you need to check before you go in, and they can run fast.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 08:50:00 PM by Katana_Geldar »

KB

« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2013, 08:34:11 PM »
I would like to add to the importance of sport in this country - how many other places do you know that have an official public holiday for a horse-race? Yes, the Melbourne Cup means we in Melbourne get the first Tuesday in November off to watch horses go round a track. Needless to state, there is also much drinking...

Yes, but its only the actual place of the event that gets the day off.  The rest of us are lucky if we get a long lunch.

As I said in my original post 'we in Melbourne'.  ;D

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2013, 05:21:16 AM »
I don't know, I think you could say that about any country really. When people travel OS it makes sense to do a little bit of homework. Also given the way some Aussies (I'm looking at you, Fliss  ;)) like to massively exaggerate the dangers I actually have met more tourists filled with unreasonable fears than I have met unwise ones.

(swells with indignation) Are you implying that my tales of riding wallabies to school while dodging vicious dropbears, attack cockatoos, and herds of savage wild brumbies might be less than completely truthful?!

My honour has been impugned!
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

gemma156

« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2013, 05:57:20 PM »
You are more likely to get hurt by a kangaroo as it jumps onto the road directly into your car's path, between dawn and dusk are the watch out times when driving through countryside, when they are at their most active.  During times of drought the kangaroo's can get aggressive by coming onto farmer's properties or houses on the fringes of towns, looking for pet food left out - they will fight for food when hungry.   

When out biking one hopped into our path on the bike track, it froze while it considered it's fight or flight response and we stopped quickly to be non threatening, then had to wave our hands and shoo it off, when it looked like it would fight.  Didn't want to be ripped open by a frightened kangaroo, it happily took off.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2013, 06:01:02 PM »
They will wreck your car if you hit one. My dad recently wrote off his new car because of a kangaroo.

Iris

« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2013, 06:19:34 PM »
They will wreck your car if you hit one. My dad recently wrote off his new car because of a kangaroo.

Trivia fact: a wombat can take out a train.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2013, 07:08:45 PM »
One of my colleagues saw a large 4x4 get airborne after hitting a wombat.  Those things are like tanks.

dawnfire

« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2013, 08:46:55 PM »

As with anything it depends on the size of the car. hubby hit a roo with a suzuki with no real damage to the car.

JadeGirl

« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2013, 12:22:26 AM »
I hit a wedge-tailed eagle and wrote off my FIL's brand new company sedan  :-[.  It was at the tail end of the rainy season in northern Western Australia, and there were heaps of dead kangaroos on the road (victims of trucks).  The wedgies and crows were out in force, cleaning up the roadkill.  Unfortunately, mature wedgies have a very large wing span (up to 8 feet!) so they don't take off very quickly.  The poor chap ended up hitting the car bonnet, then took out the windscreen and A pillar on the passenger side.  Surprisingly, he was only a bit stunned and hopped off indignantly while we shakily got out of the car to inspect the damage.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2013, 12:52:16 AM »

I wonder whether beloved A.A. Milne had anything to do with the idea that kangaroos are sweet, placid animals...

Of course every corner of the world has animals who are capable of suddenly attacking.  I remember reading, a number of years ago, of a motorist in Australia who hit a kangaroo and survived the initial impact.  But the kangaroo came through the windshield and beat him to death...

Please do not misunderstand, I would love to visit Australia someday.  Canada also has its share of dangerous wildlife.

Fliss

« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2013, 01:05:37 AM »
Please do not misunderstand, I would love to visit Australia someday.  Canada also has its share of dangerous wildlife.

Yes, but your dangerous animals look it! Bears are all fang and claw, moose have those antlers things happening, annoy a beaver and it'll probably precision-drop a tree on your tent. Seals, walrus, wolves, killer whales, etc, none of these are animals I'd tackle.

Ours look harmless and slightly bumptious -- right up until the moment they get frisky. And then there's nothing to do but run for the trees.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

dawnfire

« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2013, 01:17:41 AM »

Yes, but your dangerous animals look it! Bears are all fang and claw, moose have those antlers things happening, annoy a beaver and it'll probably precision-drop a tree on your tent. Seals, walrus, wolves, killer whales, etc, none of these are animals I'd tackle.

Ours look harmless and slightly bumptious -- right up until the moment they get frisky. And then there's nothing to do but run for the trees.

I always say that the Australian wildlife should best be admired from afar.

katycoo

« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2013, 03:52:16 AM »

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2013, 04:32:50 AM »
Just in defnce of our australian cuzzies, I would like to add that I go to Australia a couple of times a year, and not just the main centres.  I Have been to Wallumbula in Queensland, and Condobolin, Narrowmine and West Wylong in NSW.  To my regret I have seen neither kangaroo, wombat, snake or spider.  Drop bears though that is another story.

Fliss

« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2013, 04:45:42 AM »
Just in defnce of our australian cuzzies, I would like to add that I go to Australia a couple of times a year, and not just the main centres.  I Have been to Wallumbula in Queensland, and Condobolin, Narrowmine and West Wylong in NSW.  To my regret I have seen neither kangaroo, wombat, snake or spider.  Drop bears though that is another story.

Really? (rubs hands gleefully) Next time you're over, drop in to Perth, and I'll give you the special tour . . . .