Author Topic: Thank you notes for awards?  (Read 829 times)

kitchcat

• Flickr
Thank you notes for awards?
« on: April 22, 2013, 11:02:26 AM »
BG: I recently won an academic award for graduating students of my major at my university. I was given a certificate and a coffee table book (probably costing around $20-30). /BG

Do I send a thank you note to the department for the award? A friend of mine said it would be strange because I won the award based on my merit and it could imply I was selected for personal reasons.

I have a feeling I should write a thank you note for the book at the very least. Is it customary to send thank you notes when you've received a merit-based award?
Quote from: magician5
Quote from: Kinseyanne
In the bag was two cans of kitten formula

So now ... just add water and you get kittens? What will they think of next??

GSNW

Re: Thank you notes for awards?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 11:17:08 AM »
I don't think there's anything wrong with saying something like, "I was very honored to be chosen for this award.  Thank you for the lovely book, I find it very beautiful/interesting/awesome/thoughtful."

Etc.

This to me wouldn't imply a personal reason for the award, just that you appreciate that they put some thought into an accompanying gift.  After all the book isn't the award.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 11:42:03 AM »
I don't think it would be strange to thank the award committee for selecting you. Did anyone need to nominate you for the award, like a professor/mentor? If so, they should be thanked.

At my university, when a student is awarded a scholarship, 99% of which come from private donations not university or government funds, they are required to write a thank you to the donor.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

daen

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 12:26:23 PM »
Whenever I have won a scholarship or award, I've been given contact information for the provider of said award. The expectation was that I would write a thank-you note for their generosity in providing said award.  If the donor had died since the establishment of the award, one was to thank the family or designate of said donor.

With that being my experience, in your case I would look for someone to thank - the awarding committee, if no one else - for making the award available, and providing encouragement to people in your field of study.

peaches

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 12:35:22 PM »
Whenever I have won a scholarship or award, I've been given contact information for the provider of said award. The expectation was that I would write a thank-you note for their generosity in providing said award.  If the donor had died since the establishment of the award, one was to thank the family or designate of said donor.

With that being my experience, in your case I would look for someone to thank - the awarding committee, if no one else - for making the award available, and providing encouragement to people in your field of study.

I agree - a thank you note would be appropriate and appreciated. I like the thought expressed above.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 01:21:51 PM »

This has been my experience as well. Your instincts are definitely correct, OP -- though you won based on merit, you received the award because the department decided to provide it (i.e. they didn't have to give anyone anything for having the top mark). 

And congrats!