News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 03, 2016, 08:06:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: badmouthing Keira Knightley followed up by unusually good apology  (Read 3042 times)

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
As Jezebel noted, you rarely see an apology at this level: http://jezebel.com/director-john-carney-offers-unconditional-apology-for-s-1779931530  Doesn't excuse the poor behavior but is the best first step in making amends.
http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

NFPwife

Re: badmouthing Keira Knightley followed up by unusually good apology
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 08:32:29 PM »
That is what a true apology looks like. It's pretty impressive to see someone take that level of accountability.

Twik

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 10:44:21 AM »
Well, it should be a good apology - the attack on Knightley was quite extraordinary, and possibly could affect her employability. It was genuinely vicious, and since it doesn't appear Knightley had stormed off the set or otherwise done anything to warrant it, rather unaccountable. Even genuinely unpleasant actors aren't usually called out like this.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 10:48:17 AM by Twik »
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 04:03:27 PM »
I think in the end he hurt his own future prospects and not hers.
http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

kglory

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 12:54:50 AM »

I certainly hope so. 

How bizarre that this guy is making these insults now.  His movie was 3 years ago!  So even if he dislikes her, for whatever reason, why is he STILL giving interviews saying so? 

"Not a proper actress"? She has been acting for her entire life!  And given some of the craziness you see in Hollywood with drinking, drugs, scrabble, etc. - Keira has always come across as a sweet, responsible & dedicated person.

So I'm basically scratching my head.  And yeah, I mean it's better that he apologized than that he didn't - but still, people should think before they speak. There are some things "I'm sorry" cannot take away, and tarnishing somebody's reputation to the press for no good reason is one of those things.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 07:36:42 AM »

I certainly hope so. 

How bizarre that this guy is making these insults now.  His movie was 3 years ago!  So even if he dislikes her, for whatever reason, why is he STILL giving interviews saying so? 

"Not a proper actress"? She has been acting for her entire life!  And given some of the craziness you see in Hollywood with drinking, drugs, scrabble, etc. - Keira has always come across as a sweet, responsible & dedicated person.

So I'm basically scratching my head.  And yeah, I mean it's better that he apologized than that he didn't - but still, people should think before they speak. There are some things "I'm sorry" cannot take away, and tarnishing somebody's reputation to the press for no good reason is one of those things.

I think it's come up because they released this movie online recently (and it barely had a theater run).

I don't think we should micro-analyze people's apologies, looking for further offense, as so often seems to happen lately, but I do think he did a decent job.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 07:58:40 PM »
He brought Kiera Knightly up in three different interviews three years after he worked with her solely to trash her. At no point did he have to mention her- he chose to drag her into the conversation.

I think the only reason he's apologizing is because he's gotten ripped by her other directors.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 07:23:30 PM »
He brought Kiera Knightly up in three different interviews three years after he worked with her solely to trash her. At no point did he have to mention her- he chose to drag her into the conversation.

I think the only reason he's apologizing is because he's gotten ripped by her other directors.

Also, it is one thing to rip into someone who has a general reputation as difficult.  But to be that critical that long afterwards of someone who has a decent working reputation is more likely to make you look like you are the difficult one.  I bet studios and producers were starting to pull away from him.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

TootsNYC

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 08:18:23 PM »
And to just be so unfactual!
"I'll never work with supermodels again"?!?

Keira Knightly is not a supermodel. She's been an actress since she was 6.
And she's not only a big-budget movie star either--one of her earliest roles was Bend It Like Beckham, which was an indie film! She's done lots of smaller, actor-ly films in addition to the big-studio releases. She'd been in 30 films before that one.

So yeah, this is a good example of how to grovel when you've really screwed up. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 08:28:49 PM by TootsNYC »

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 08:49:27 PM »
And to just be so unfactual!
"I'll never work with supermodels again"?!?

Keira Knightly is not a supermodel. She's been an actress since she was 6.
And she's not only a big-budget movie star either--one of her earliest roles was Bend It Like Beckham, which was an indie film! She's done lots of smaller, actor-ly films in addition to the big-studio releases. She'd been in 30 films before that one.

So yeah, this is a good example of how to grovel when you've really screwed up.

Yes I was so confused when I read his original comments, having grown up with Bend It Like Beckham I couldn't work out where the supermodel thing was coming from!   She started out in small films and worked her way up.     

At least his apology sounded sincere though.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

CaffeineKatie

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 10:09:39 PM »
He's being interviewed because he has new work coming out, and it seems the bomb he had with the Keira Knightley film has effected his more recent work.  The supermodel comment referred to other members of the cast; it would seem that he had a number of casting choices shoved off on him, and he still feels the work suffered because of it.  I don't think he thought she was difficult, just unsuited for the part; she's appeared in a number of stinkers where she was cast as a name draw, and that must be very frustrating to the directors involved.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 10:17:14 PM »
He's being interviewed because he has new work coming out, and it seems the bomb he had with the Keira Knightley film has effected his more recent work.  The supermodel comment referred to other members of the cast; it would seem that he had a number of casting choices shoved off on him, and he still feels the work suffered because of it.  I don't think he thought she was difficult, just unsuited for the part; she's appeared in a number of stinkers where she was cast as a name draw, and that must be very frustrating to the directors involved.

We could speculate on what we *think* he meant all day, but what he actually said went far beyond just saying she was unsuited to the part.  His comments were very unprofessional and cast aspersions on her competency as an actor.   
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 10:46:05 AM »
He said: “acting requires a certain level of honesty and self-analysis that I don’t think she’s ready for yet,”.

I think speaking in public requires a certain level of honesty and self-analysis that I don’t think he’s ready for yet.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls