News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 08, 2016, 09:57:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alex Trebek calls "losers"  (Read 1791 times)

Hillia

Alex Trebek calls "losers"
« on: October 13, 2016, 04:00:34 PM »
I don't watch"Jeopardy" but read this story.  A young woman on "Jeopardy" was being asked the standard "tell us about yourself" questions.  She said she was into nerdcore, described as people who consider themselves nerds singing about aspects of nerd culture: scifi and fantasy fandom, gaming, social awkwardness, etc.  Alex Trebek says wittily, "Oh, losers?".  Seems like a jerk move to me, and apparently he's taking a bit of heat for it today.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
Re: Alex Trebek calls "losers"
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 05:14:47 PM »
Well, he'd think my wife and I and many of our friends and family are 'losers' if this is what he bases this on, but since I haven't watched Jeopardy since about 1999 I guess he and I are even.

Peppergirl

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 06:37:09 PM »
He sat behind me on a flight back in the mid 80s to Honolulu from LAX.  I was a teenager at the time.  Arrogant, insufferable...I could go on.  Him, not me.  >:D Although I was a stereotypical teen of the era, my mother also thought the same. 

I know some other people's mileage my vary on their opinions of him, but this 'losers' comment surprises me not.

Team HoundMom

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 01:35:31 PM »

Addy

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 01:41:15 PM »
I was watching Jeopardy when he said it, and couldn't believe it. Well, I could believe it because he's Alex Trebek, but anyway...

I almost resurrected the Arrogant and rude vs. appropriately witty thread.

TurtleDove

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 02:33:37 PM »
I didn't see this happen, and probably Alex Trebek shouldn't have made the joke, but I do believe that the comment was tongue in cheek. I mean, the entire concept behind Jeopardy is "nerdy" and based on arguably pointless knowledge that the average person would not likely know. That's why the Cliff Clavin character from Cheers was a fictional contestant. I don't think Alex was saying it in a malicious or derogatory way.

Surianne

• Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 02:54:22 PM »
I didn't see this happen, and probably Alex Trebek shouldn't have made the joke, but I do believe that the comment was tongue in cheek. I mean, the entire concept behind Jeopardy is "nerdy" and based on arguably pointless knowledge that the average person would not likely know. That's why the Cliff Clavin character from Cheers was a fictional contestant. I don't think Alex was saying it in a malicious or derogatory way.

I watched it and this is exactly the tone I got from it.  Everyone on the show is a nerd -- that's the point!  it's part of his schtick to make jokes about it.

That was totally my favourite episode of Cheers, btw.  Who are three people who have never been in my kitchen?

Addy

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 03:01:33 PM »

I watched it and this is exactly the tone I got from it.  Everyone on the show is a nerd -- that's the point!  it's part of his schtick to make jokes about it.

That was totally my favourite episode of Cheers, btw.  Who are three people who have never been in my kitchen?

I don't know, I didn't get that vibe, mostly because of the way he began the bit, talking about how what she liked didn't sound like fun to him. And the "I'm kidding" tacked on at the end looked like a CYA response to her face.

I don't know, I am fully willing to admit that I may be biased due to my extreme aversion to Alex Trebek. ;) :-X

Yarnspinner

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 11:57:59 PM »
I also thought it was meant tongue in cheek.  Have not met Alex myself, but a friend of mine was on the show and she raved about what a pleasant soul he was.  She was most surprised when he told her he could see that she knew the answers and was having trouble (she has arthritis) getting the buzzer to buzz right away.  She said "Well, I am getting older."  He heaved a sigh and said "You're not the only one."

Semperviren

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 09:48:51 AM »
"Losers" is a pretty loaded word. I don't think I'd make this joke unless I was very, very sure it would land well. And, obviously, for some it didn't.

Stricken_Halo

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 02:41:39 PM »
I mentioned this on another board, but the remark called to mind John Oliver's joke on the Emmys:

The sun could burn out, humanity could flee to another galaxy, and time as we know it could cease to exist, but Alex Trebek will still be there, scolding librarians from Ames, Iowa, to answer in the form of a question and passive-aggressively insulting their hobbies.

(Bolding mine)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 07:49:47 PM »
"Losers" is a pretty loaded word. I don't think I'd make this joke unless I was very, very sure it would land well. And, obviously, for some it didn't.

Agreed. What may be fun parlance among friends isn't so workable on TV.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

BeagleMommy

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 01:33:28 PM »
I saw the episode where this was done.  I got that he was joking and apparently, so did the contestant.  She was laughing right along with everyone else.  That's the impression I got.