News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 23, 2017, 04:24:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nikki Haley must be among us; uses EHell-itticism at Trump  (Read 7807 times)

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
Re: Nikki Haley must be among us; uses EHell-itticism at Trump
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 06:03:54 PM »
I would not interpret it as rudeness in any way, shape or form. Instead, I would interpret it as sympathy/empathy. Here's how I see it:
Your friend gave you directions
It was clear you weren't going to catch on
Your friend understood your inability to understand, then feeling bad for your predicament, figured the easiest way to solve the problem was to bypass the failing process and come to pick you up.

"Bypass the failing process."  That's a good way to put.  It's like a congenital birth defect.

Another time, a different friend gave me directions which included "go north."  I got lost of course cuz I didn't know which way north was.  When I finally arrived, I complained bitterly about said directions since Friend could have told me to turn left instead.  Her response?  "You can *ask* someone which way north is.  You can't ask which way is left."

Sigh. 

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 08:48:19 PM »
I have had to tell someone that was giving me directions in my hometown that telling me "north, south, east, west" didn't help at all, especially if I was going to be driving at night and couldn't see the sun!  The roads don't run straight/gridded there.

Kate

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2016, 04:22:22 PM »
Here, Canada it is not an insult at all but is used to express appreciation for a kindness someone has done for us or others, and its original meaning was that good things were wished for them...see its definition in the Cambridge dictionary.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/bless-your-heart

bless your heart

may good things happen to someone:
My dad, bless his heart, is 92 today.
My niece sent me the sweetest card, bless her.
Note: Used to show affection or sympathy for someone.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.