Author Topic: Reese Witherspoon's apology  (Read 7163 times)

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
Reese Witherspoon's apology
« on: April 22, 2013, 12:42:47 PM »
Reese Witherspoon got upset at a police officer when her husband was arrested for drunk driving and was then herself arrested for disturbing the peace.  Her actions were terrible, but she made a lovely apology today:  http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20693423,00.html  Now that is a proper apology.
http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

CakeBeret

Re: Reese Witherspoon's apology
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 12:47:43 PM »
What a serious lapse in judgment. :O

Still, her apology was classy and seems sincere.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Kaypeep

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »
I'm on the fence about the apology, if she weren't a celebrity I doubt she'd be making it.

I hope when this case is resolved she makes some kind of apology about the dangers of DUI.  I'm more offended by the risk she and her husband put the public in than the fact that she got lippy with a cop. 

Bottlecaps

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 01:22:26 PM »
I'm on the fence about the apology, if she weren't a celebrity I doubt she'd be making it.

POD. Maybe I'm too judgmental of those in the spotlight, but often when a celebrity makes a public apology like that, I tend to think that they're only doing it about face. Lashing out at a cop because they were arresting you or your husband for such a serious offense that can cost lives really is a serious lapse in judgement. I too would like to see her apologize more for the dangers of DUI.
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

whiskeytangofoxtrot

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 01:24:08 PM »
I hope she was sincere, but my first thought when I saw the news story this morning was, "In vino, veritas."

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 09:27:23 PM »
I think she showed who she was that night, and is now trying to backtrack.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

crella

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 10:33:40 PM »
I think it's possible that those words do show who she is  8) 

Ethics Alarms had a post about her apology and called it a case of the 'Pazuzu Defense'  (named after the demon who made Linda Blair say those awful things in the Exorcist), the devil made her do it  ;D

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 10:48:55 PM »
I don't know, Reese Witherspoon has always seemed one of the few very classy and private celebrities. She obviously messed up here, but I don't think it's fair to assume the worst just because she's a celebrity. I shudder to think what conclusions would be reached about me based on stupid things I've said while under the influence.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

crella

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 10:52:54 PM »
You're right...it's too hard to tell.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 10:55:22 PM »
I don't know, Reese Witherspoon has always seemed one of the few very classy and private celebrities. She obviously messed up here, but I don't think it's fair to assume the worst just because she's a celebrity. I shudder to think what conclusions would be reached about me based on stupid things I've said while under the influence.

I agree, it sounds to me as though she came-clean and didn't rush forward with a pile of excuses.

blahblahblah

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 02:59:39 PM »
There was pretty much nothing else she COULD do. Her PR team first tried to float out the story that her words had been taken out of context, and when that didn't work, she came out with the apology.

And tbh, I'm not surprised about her lashing out at the cop, considering everything else I've heard about her. Yeah, I know, rumors are rumors and worth about as much as you pay for them, but I guess I just have a different image of her than the America's Sweetheart one she wants us to have.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 04:35:25 PM »
It was a well-written apology (assuming "one drink too many" was a euphemism for "many drinks too many"). Was it sincere? I don't think anyone can tell about something like this. At least it hit the right notes - it admitted fault, and regretted what she did, rather than how people perceived what she did (no "I'm sorry if you thought I was out of line").
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

ettiquit

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 05:03:02 PM »
I thought her apology was well done.

She didn't make any excuses for her behavior, she didn't wait till the public "demanded" the apology.

I've been a jerk when I've been under the influence too, and have had to make apologies afterwards.  The only difference between me and Reese is that only the people who are present during my bad behavior care about what I did.  she has the whole world judging her.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 05:06:48 PM »
I think her apology was well done also, and she mentioned that she cannot, for legal reasons, discuss the particulars of the arrest.  She took responsibility for what she did (and frankly, she can't be responsible for what her husband did anyway).  I think people make mistakes.  I can't think of any other blemish on her record.

Minmom3

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 10:23:16 PM »
Nor can I.  BUT, she only addressed her lashing out at the cop.  She said nothing about getting in the car and letting somebody drunk drive.  Granted, her kids are probably back in California with the nanny, but still, she should be addressing that issue too.

That part of drinking was at least half of our talks with our kids about drinking and general behavior - do NOT get in a car with a driver who has been drinking.  It's more than your personal drinking that needs to be discussed; it's who you let drive you around.  I told my kids that I would much rather get that 2 o'clock in the morning phone call that they need a ride because X has been drinking, and be angry about it, than get that phone to come see your child in the hospital or the morgue and be sad for years about it!   >:( :'(  Really NO comparison on which call I'd rather get.

She needs to address this because it WILL be a topic of discussion across the Nation.  Not because she's important, but because she IS popular, and puts herself out as a Good Girl. 
Mother to children and fuzz butts....