Author Topic: Reese Witherspoon's apology  (Read 7187 times)

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
Re: Reese Witherspoon's apology
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 11:38:30 PM »
Minmom3, I agree, but at this stage I think she said she cannot address the drinking part for legal reasons.  I believe her on that.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 05:32:44 PM »
I'm on the fence about the apology, if she weren't a celebrity I doubt she'd be making it.

If she weren't a celebrity, nobody would care whether she made an apology or not  :-\

mkkristen

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 10:29:31 PM »
Yes she issued an apology. ISSUED. Who knows if she even wrote it let alone believes it. I've read the rumors and heard from people in the business that she is more like she was with the cops the other night than the sweetheart she wants to be. She can apologize for being rude and disrespectful all she wants, but until she apologizes for the drunk driving and makes that right--which I realize might be awhile because of legal issues--it means nothing in my book.

sempronialou

• semper ubi sub ubi
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 10:42:05 PM »
I'm more upset that she let her husband get behind the wheel and drive and then rode right along.  It so easy to call a cab, a friend, a publicist, a limo, or whomever.  Frankly I'm glad that the cop pulled them over before anything happened.  Her behavior was inexcusable (allowing drunk driving and being belligerent with the cop) and unacceptable.  I don't find her apology that sincere. 

cocacola35

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2013, 08:00:15 AM »
This is the first time Reese Witherspoon has demonstrated this type of behavior and she acknowledged that her actions towards the police were wrong.  She took responsibility for it- she didn't blame it on Rx drugs or claim the police were out to get her because she's a celebrity like I've heard other celebs claim.  For those reasons, I think her apology was sincere.  She also didn't have to make an apology statement in the first place. 

Reese did not address the DUI situation, but in her apology she stated that she cannot discuss it for legal reasons.  I believe that, as I am sure her husband is in a lot of trouble right now.  I hope he gets more than a slap on the wrist for something so serious- they were lucky to be caught by the police before they hurt themselves or someone else.

Allyson

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2013, 02:21:53 PM »
I think some people will absolutely never believe an apology like this, and after one thing like this happens, they consider 'well, that's it, they obviously showed their true colours with this incident, everything else doesn't matter', particularly with celebrities. But, after an 'incident' is already done, I don't really see what else *can* be done but apologise, really. Who knows if she's sincere or not, it's impossible to tell. But sometimes I wonder if making public apologies is even helpful for celebrities, or a positive thing overall.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 02:58:31 PM »
I think some people will absolutely never believe an apology like this, and after one thing like this happens, they consider 'well, that's it, they obviously showed their true colours with this incident, everything else doesn't matter', particularly with celebrities. But, after an 'incident' is already done, I don't really see what else *can* be done but apologise, really. Who knows if she's sincere or not, it's impossible to tell. But sometimes I wonder if making public apologies is even helpful for celebrities, or a positive thing overall.

I think once an incident hits the news celebs have no choice but to apologize. 

While in Pete Townshends case many on eHell did not think an apology was required, in the Jason Aldean case he addressed the issue immediately and plainly said he had too much to drink, let the situation get out of hand and offered no excuses. 

Reese Witherspoon offered what seems to be a sincere apology and offers no excuses, unless this type of incident happens again I think we should believe her and move on. Even if she didn't write the apology she spoke it and that's the bottom line. 

I wouldn't write my own press releases either if I had an agent/publicist with a better grasp of the English language and majored in soothing over miffed fans, plus they get paid to do that. 

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 04:48:36 PM »
I can say, "What that person did/didn't do was terrible," but still also say about that person, "That is not who they are 100% of the time." I'm a rather pleasant, kind person. However,I've said and done some pretty horrible things in my lifetime. None of them involve drinking and driving, but they all come from the same ugly, selfish place that all ugly, selfish actions come from.

I think getting into the car with her husband, letting him drive, and getting into it with the officer were all pretty horrible things to do. But this is the first I've ever heard of her being egregiously selfish and ugly. I think this is more a reminder that she's a human being who did something wrong than it is a sudden revelation that she's a horrible, horrible person who ought to be shunned.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

SoCalVal

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 08:53:49 PM »
I think she showed who she was that night, and is now trying to backtrack.

I agree.  I remember, years ago, reading or watching something from Kevin Smith, when he talked about how much he can't stand Reese Witherspoon and calls her "Greasy Reese" or something like that.  Apparently, when he was dating Joey Lauren Adams, she and Reese Witherspoon were up for the same part, but Reese Witherspoon got it.  They were all at a gathering shortly thereafter, and Joey Lauren Adams went up to Reese Witherspoon to congratulate her on landing the role (Kevin Smith was with her when this took place).  Reese Witherspoon gave Joey Lauren Adams a nasty or withering look and ignored her (I think turned away from her).  Ever since then, Kevin Smith can't stand her (he thought she showed a total lack of class and snobbery for doing that).

When I heard about this arrest and read what she stated then read the subsequent public apology statement, I immediately thought of Kevin Smith's story and thought, "Hmmm...I think, like Tom Cruise and the couch-jumping, someone was without her handler and really put her foot in it by showing everyone what she's really like."  Up until that point, I always wondered about Kevin Smith's story and thought, like an OP stated, she was one of America's sweethearts so how unlike her.  Not really after all, I guess.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 09:10:09 PM »
I think she showed who she was that night, and is now trying to backtrack.

I agree.  I remember, years ago, reading or watching something from Kevin Smith, when he talked about how much he can't stand Reese Witherspoon and calls her "Greasy Reese" or something like that.  Apparently, when he was dating Joey Lauren Adams, she and Reese Witherspoon were up for the same part, but Reese Witherspoon got it.  They were all at a gathering shortly thereafter, and Joey Lauren Adams went up to Reese Witherspoon to congratulate her on landing the role (Kevin Smith was with her when this took place).  Reese Witherspoon gave Joey Lauren Adams a nasty or withering look and ignored her (I think turned away from her).  Ever since then, Kevin Smith can't stand her (he thought she showed a total lack of class and snobbery for doing that).

When I heard about this arrest and read what she stated then read the subsequent public apology statement, I immediately thought of Kevin Smith's story and thought, "Hmmm...I think, like Tom Cruise and the couch-jumping, someone was without her handler and really put her foot in it by showing everyone what she's really like."  Up until that point, I always wondered about Kevin Smith's story and thought, like an OP stated, she was one of America's sweethearts so how unlike her.  Not really after all, I guess.

I got drunk once, and a friend of mine took away what was left of my wine so I wouldn't get drunker. I was so mad at the time and in my drunken state, I almost hit my friend. When I sobered up, I came up to him and apologized, he forgave me, and we were as right as rain.

I'd hate to think that, because of one incident in my whole life, someone thought I was an abusive alcoholic. The same goes for Reese Witherspoon. Two incidents in her whole life are not the sum of her as a person. And, frankly, if Kevin Smith thought ill of her for years based on one incident, that says as much about him as it does about her.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

SoCalVal

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2013, 10:52:33 PM »
Two incidents in her whole life are not the sum of her as a person.

It really depends on what those incidents are -- for anyone.

For you, your incident, fortunately, ended with things working out between you and your friend.  I had a horribly drunken and, from what I was told, super-vomiting, moment when I was a teen and said some pretty nasty things to a friend of mine (my 1st love).  We got over it (are still friends now, 27 years later) and, after a few more years of "hard-partying" ways (really, just drinking to get super-drunk because that was fun in my teens and early 20s), I learned not to drink if I were either very sad or very mad so I didn't (drink, that is).  These days (and for the past 20+ years), I rarely drink anyway so it's a moot point.

For Reese Witherspoon and her husband, thankfully, they were stopped before their drunken driving could hurt anyone, but she was belligerent and full of herself and wouldn't listen to the police officer.  I think she's old enough and has been in the public eye long enough to know better than to behave in such a fashion so, yeah, this behavior makes me wonder.

For the relative of someone I know (a relative who was a public figure), that person's "one" incident of in-the-public-eye drunkenness took the lives of four people (that person is serving a prison sentence now and still won't admit any responsibility for what took place).  According to that person's family, that person is a good person.

Reese Witherspoon and her husband were extremely intoxicated and could've killed someone.  Yes, this one incident was a very big deal. YMMV.

Allyson

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2013, 10:56:40 PM »

I'd hate to think that, because of one incident in my whole life, someone thought I was an abusive alcoholic. The same goes for Reese Witherspoon. Two incidents in her whole life are not the sum of her as a person. And, frankly, if Kevin Smith thought ill of her for years based on one incident, that says as much about him as it does about her.

I totally agree with you. I think it's unfortunate people say one incident is 'showing who they really are' if it's negative, but if it's positive, the same is rarely said. And for celebrities, everything ends up 'larger than life', so the bad stuff is repeated endlessly and the good stuff is seen as just looking for publicity.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 09:47:19 AM »
I am torn. She says she can't comment on the legalities but then says it was "one drink too many" which seems to indicate that just one drink less would have made all the difference. To me that does seem like she is commenting on what she just said she can't comment on and that she is trying to minimize it. Now, I wouldn't say all  we need to know about her personality is revealed here but I don't love her choices or the apology.

Melle

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2013, 10:04:13 AM »
I am torn. She says she can't comment on the legalities but then says it was "one drink too many" which seems to indicate that just one drink less would have made all the difference. To me that does seem like she is commenting on what she just said she can't comment on and that she is trying to minimize it. Now, I wouldn't say all  we need to know about her personality is revealed here but I don't love her choices or the apology.

In my experience "One drink too many" is just a common euphemism for "Many, many a drink!" but I agree with you that it has an aftertaste of minimizing.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2013, 10:17:12 AM »
The drunk that ran over my younger brother was and is a very good decent person, one bad choice took my brother's life. 

It doesn't define his life - but don't think for an instant that he won't be remembered by that ONE bad choice instead of the thousands of good choices he made.

I am glad Reese and her husband were taken off the streets.

I still don't see her whole life defined by this one bad action or even two, if Kevin Smith's story is included.  She's still lucky - if someone had been harmed her entire career would be judged by this one incident.