Author Topic: Reese Witherspoon's apology  (Read 8703 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Reese Witherspoon's apology
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2013, 12:33:51 PM »
I think she showed who she was that night, and is now trying to backtrack.

I agree.  I remember, years ago, reading or watching something from Kevin Smith, when he talked about how much he can't stand Reese Witherspoon and calls her "Greasy Reese" or something like that.  Apparently, when he was dating Joey Lauren Adams, she and Reese Witherspoon were up for the same part, but Reese Witherspoon got it.  They were all at a gathering shortly thereafter, and Joey Lauren Adams went up to Reese Witherspoon to congratulate her on landing the role (Kevin Smith was with her when this took place).  Reese Witherspoon gave Joey Lauren Adams a nasty or withering look and ignored her (I think turned away from her).  Ever since then, Kevin Smith can't stand her (he thought she showed a total lack of class and snobbery for doing that).

When I heard about this arrest and read what she stated then read the subsequent public apology statement, I immediately thought of Kevin Smith's story and thought, "Hmmm...I think, like Tom Cruise and the couch-jumping, someone was without her handler and really put her foot in it by showing everyone what she's really like."  Up until that point, I always wondered about Kevin Smith's story and thought, like an OP stated, she was one of America's sweethearts so how unlike her.  Not really after all, I guess.

I'm afraid that I usually judge people who tell stories about other people's unpleasantnesses as the more unpleasant person. Kevin Smith is showing no class there, even if Reese is a totally horrible person in her own right.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2013, 04:22:01 PM »
POD to Twik. Especially since there could be any number of reasons to explain the behavior Smith took such offense to (including that Reese just didn't see her).

Snooks

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2013, 07:45:22 PM »
Kevin Smith does seem to hold grudges but it seems he had more than one run in with her.  Kevin Smith's Reese Witherspoon stories.*  On the other hand one could say that those incidents were many years ago when she was a young actress just starting out.

*Warning for language some may find offensive.

CuriousParty

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2013, 08:42:56 PM »
Kevin Smith does seem to hold grudges but it seems he had more than one run in with her.  Kevin Smith's Reese Witherspoon stories.*  On the other hand one could say that those incidents were many years ago when she was a young actress just starting out.

Well, yes, but I have to say, that explanation actually makes me less impressed with Kevin's position. Basically, his complaints boil down to ego trips.  First meeting, she compares his movie to a movie he hates, so he's mad. Then she's rude to his girlfriend, so he's mad. Then she says she doesn't like his work. So he's mad, and now calling names.

There seems to be precious little of his dislike that is based on her character, and a whole lot more based on the fact that she's not overly enthralled by him.  Which, I have to say (and I'm a Clerks fan, so Kevin is okay by me), if you saw Clerks and Legally Blonde side by side you wouldn't, so much, think the same people might be into them.

I think Reese AND her husband messed up royally, I think they are massively unfortunate that their error, which is made every day by any number of other people, gets the extra-hot spotlight because of her celebrity, and like anyone else who has had an episode of massively poor judgment, I hope they learn from this and wish them the best for the future.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2013, 01:33:45 AM »

Well, yes, but I have to say, that explanation actually makes me less impressed with Kevin's position. Basically, his complaints boil down to ego trips.  First meeting, she compares his movie to a movie he hates, so he's mad. Then she's rude to his girlfriend, so he's mad. Then she says she doesn't like his work. So he's mad, and now calling names.

There seems to be precious little of his dislike that is based on her character, and a whole lot more based on the fact that she's not overly enthralled by him.  Which, I have to say (and I'm a Clerks fan, so Kevin is okay by me), if you saw Clerks and Legally Blonde side by side you wouldn't, so much, think the same people might be into them.

I think Reese AND her husband messed up royally, I think they are massively unfortunate that their error, which is made every day by any number of other people, gets the extra-hot spotlight because of her celebrity, and like anyone else who has had an episode of massively poor judgment, I hope they learn from this and wish them the best for the future.

I agree. They both made some very bad decisions, she apologized for the parts that she was legally able to address. What else could she do at the moment?

And rumors aside, this is the first time I've heard of her having trouble with the law. Yes, they made horrible mistakes that night, but no one was hurt. Nobody's perfect, including celebrities, so I'll reserve judgment until she appears to make a habit of this.

MrTango

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2013, 08:53:32 PM »
And rumors aside, this is the first time I've heard of her having trouble with the law. Yes, they made horrible mistakes that night, but no one was hurt. Nobody's perfect, including celebrities, so I'll reserve judgment until she appears to make a habit of this.

This makes a lot of sense to me.  Everybody gets one.

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2013, 09:17:40 PM »

Reading that did absolutely nothing  to convince me that Reese Witherspoon has ever done anything worthy of Kevin Smith's distain.  In fact, he comes across as an extremely unpleasant and arrogant person.

Regarding the apology she issued, whether it was written or prepared for her by someone else or whether it was her own words, it was a very well spoken apology and hit all the points that an apology should (ie, taking responsibility, stating what it is you are sorry for, etc).  I give kudos to her for saying the words, regardless of whether someone else may or may not have told her to say them.

Someone could order me to apologize, but I would still be able to refuse to do so if I didn't really feel sorry.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2013, 09:18:33 PM »
I agree - Kevin Smith is coming off far worse than Reese is.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2013, 08:59:10 AM »
I'm more upset that she let her husband get behind the wheel and drive and then rode right along.  It so easy to call a cab, a friend, a publicist, a limo, or whomever.  Frankly I'm glad that the cop pulled them over before anything happened.  Her behavior was inexcusable (allowing drunk driving and being belligerent with the cop) and unacceptable.  I don't find her apology that sincere.

Agreed.

To clarify, I meant that she behaved stupidly and arrogantly and I do belive "in vino veritas."

However, the fact that Kevin Smith found it necessary to write a rant and call names makes him come off even worse.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

LeveeWoman

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2013, 03:31:20 PM »
Well. She's plead nolo and paid a $213.00 fine.