Author Topic: Are Diapers rude?  (Read 6630 times)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Re: Are Diapers rude?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 05:38:12 PM »
I would feel a little oogy about having just a diaper on my toddler and nothing over it. Not because it's immodest, but because if she's scooting around on her rear (I know the dress was long, but my kids at least had an uncanny inclination to hitch any length of dress up around their armpits while playing), the diaper can fuzz up and possibly even leak. To prevent this, I put little shorts on under my girls' dresses and skirts, even if they didn't have the specific bloomers that matched the dress.

And EllenS, I'm thinking she meant the bloomers that often come with little dresses, not a cloth diaper cover. The bloomers are often called diaper covers, too.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

EllenS

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 05:41:09 PM »
The cloth diaper comment came off of Hmmmm's post about cloth diapers with no waterproof cover.  A tangent.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 05:43:41 PM »
The cloth diaper comment came off of Hmmmm's post about cloth diapers with no waterproof cover.  A tangent.

Oh, ew! I somehow completely skipped over the last line of that post and didn't even see it. Yeah, that's gross. People do that??

Utah

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 06:15:23 PM »
Rude? Why?

Now, no diapers... that would be rude!  >:D
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »

Oh, ew! I somehow completely skipped over the last line of that post and didn't even see it. Yeah, that's gross. People do that??

Yes, I've seen people put their kids in cloth diapers with nothing else. Grosses me out so much I don't want to see any kid in just a diaper. I don't think they do it all the time but I've had mother's say the plastic pants were causing heat rash.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 07:05:04 PM »
We were had such bad reactions to the pladtic pants and to dispoable diapets that even in the hospital the doctor charterted that they could not be used. The modern cloth diapers I've emcountered don't seem to require them. I know they are designed quite a bit differently then diaper of a couple decades ago.

Ilovemygeek

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 07:34:45 PM »
I'll put them in shorts or pants under skirts if they're going to be sliding or climbing or if it is cold or the skirts are short, but at the gym they were just coloring. She was in a fresh disposable that was still unused when I picked her up less then an hour later. I pick my battles with their clothes. The 3 year old dresses herself and she helps her 1 year old sister pick out outfits so if it is clean and all bits are covered I will let it slide since it really hurts her feelings if I don't "like" her outfits. Sometimes my kids are the kids running around in galoshes and fairy tutus and scarves and winter hats. They'll wear layers if there is a "good" reason but since they know Mommy doesn't wear shorts under her skirts, getting them to wear them to just go out and about is a losing battle and yes my 3 year old is that precocious.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 08:00:59 PM »
This falls under the "other people trying to parent your kids" experience.

My DH is a SAHD and he once got a very condescending comment at a playground that he should have put leggings on our toddler.  Yeah, I probably would have, if for no other reason than to prevent slide-burn, but it was obvious this woman was concerned about the "wrong sort of person" looking at our toddler's underpants.

In my book, if you are looking and commenting on somebody else's child like that, YOU are the wrong sort of person.

This woman would have been very unhappy with me. I never once put tights on my daughter. I figured that if I thought tights were too uncomfortable to wear, I certainly wasn't going to make my daughter wear them.
Don't have kids but I was thinking the same thing. I live in the south so I really don't get the tights/legging thing I would be orbiting Pluto with the itching.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

turnip

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 08:06:33 PM »

My DH is a SAHD and he once got a very condescending comment at a playground that he should have put leggings on our toddler.  Yeah, I probably would have, if for no other reason than to prevent slide-burn, but it was obvious this woman was concerned about the "wrong sort of person" looking at our toddler's underpants.

In my book, if you are looking and commenting on somebody else's child like that, YOU are the wrong sort of person.

This woman would have been very unhappy with me. I never once put tights on my daughter. I figured that if I thought tights were too uncomfortable to wear, I certainly wasn't going to make my daughter wear them.
Don't have kids but I was thinking the same thing. I live in the south so I really don't get the tights/legging thing I would be orbiting Pluto with the itching.

I think this one of those things where a lot of people will use the same word but be picturing entirely different items.   My DD usually just has some cotton pants or shorts on under a dress.  I'll call them 'leggings' but they aren't any more itchy or uncomfortable than anything else she might wear - or anything my son might wear.    And FTR we do live in a hot climate.

Bluenomi

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 08:29:28 PM »
Ok it took me a minute to realise she didn't mean a pair of underpants and a nappy because I couldn't figure out how you could fit undies over a nappy. I gather she's talking about nappy covers.

No nappy cover is fine. Really, a nappy as it is fine. Sure cover it up if you like but the world won't end if someone gets a look at your kid's Pooh printed Huggies. In the middle of summer I never bothered with putting anything over DD's nappy if her dress or skirt was a decent length.

Our daycare prefers if you don't cover their nappy, less to take off at changing time!

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2013, 08:46:26 PM »

I love that! I'm going to remember that logic.

We're talking about disposable diapers, right?  If we're talking cloth diapers, I agree there should be some sort of cover over top (I vaguely remember these rubbery things to prevent a full diaper from leaking through), but disposable diapers have a built in covering, generally a decorated one.

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2013, 08:47:07 PM »
The 3 year old dresses herself and she helps her 1 year old sister pick out outfits so if it is clean and all bits are covered I will let it slide since it really hurts her feelings if I don't "like" her outfits. Sometimes my kids are the kids running around in galoshes and fairy tutus and scarves and winter hats.

You are an awesome mom. 

I miss the times my kids used to do this. Now I'm waiting around for grandkids so I can buy the "fun" clothes again.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

crella

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2013, 09:11:54 PM »

There seem to be people lately who are sensitive to any glimpse of a toddler's diaper or a small child's undies. A friend of ours visited us in the US while we were there and while waiting for us to come to the airport and pick him up, he was holding his sleeping 5-year-old daughter both of their carry on bags (although hers was tiny), so his arms were pretty full. A woman and man came up to him and really let him have it because her dress was up a bit on one side. He doesn't understand rapid angry English, and he was asking me about what he could catch..."What does 'shame on you!' mean?"  I think it's overboard and it strikes me as odd, but as I've said before I haven't lived in the US in decades, we've only had our house there five years so I might be missing something.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2013, 10:09:25 PM »
The reason I put shorts on under my daughters' skirts is so they can play like normal little kids and not have to worry about being told to keep them down. I don't have that issue when I wear skirts, so it's not a double standard. I hated that as a kid. We had to wear skirts to my elementary school on chapel Wednesdays, and then when it came time for recess, the girls couldn't do any of the fun things because it wasn't modest.  >:(

Utah

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 10:18:17 PM »

There seem to be people lately who are sensitive to any glimpse of a toddler's diaper or a small child's undies. A friend of ours visited us in the US while we were there and while waiting for us to come to the airport and pick him up, he was holding his sleeping 5-year-old daughter both of their carry on bags (although hers was tiny), so his arms were pretty full. A woman and man came up to him and really let him have it because her dress was up a bit on one side. He doesn't understand rapid angry English, and he was asking me about what he could catch..."What does 'shame on you!' mean?"  I think it's overboard and it strikes me as odd, but as I've said before I haven't lived in the US in decades, we've only had our house there five years so I might be missing something.

While I  would never comment about a diaper being shown, I truly do prefer to not see them. It has nothing to do with "seeing underwear". It's because my mind goes immediately to poopy or wet diaper and I prefer to not think of them. I dealt with enough in my life.

Once young children are out of diapers I do think putting young girls in shorts or bloomers is preferable when wearing dresses above the knee. Makes it easy to play. I think we all wore shorts under our dresses until 8 or 9 so we could hang upside down on the monkey bars.