Author Topic: Thank you for the birthday card...  (Read 2314 times)

charlatan

Re: Thank you for the birthday card...
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 09:31:42 PM »
For me too it would depend on the likelihood of it happening again. If you know your friend sends a lot of mail, mention it (in one of the casual ways suggested above). If you know she doesn't usually send mail then I wouldn't bother.

Of course, I neglected to do so the last time a similar situation happened to me and I'm annoyed with myself for letting it go. Last year I received my university diploma through the mail with almost two dollars postage due. It both amused and annoyed me - I'd already paid tens of thousands of dollars to attend this school and having to pay up more for the stupid diploma weeks after I'd graduated was like the school having the last laugh at my expense. It's not like they don't mail out hundreds of diplomas every year, after all - they should know exactly how much each one costs to send. I emailed once to let them know, never got a response and just let it go.

johelenc1

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 12:56:07 AM »
There's no way I would mention this to a friend.  It's just not worth it.  What are you trying to accomplish by telling her?  Do you want you money back?  Do you just want to give her an FYI?

I think you should let it go.

cb140

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 08:21:36 AM »
I really would let it go. I know you're not annoyed at your friend, or wanting your money back or anything like that (well, I hope not!) bu I just don't think there's anyway to raise this, however nicely, without making your friend feel bad and possibly feel she had to offer you 1.09.

I know your motivation is just to ensure it doesn't happen again but really, how likely is that?

NB if it was a company did this, or a school like a PP mentioned, I'd be down on them like a ton of bricks. But a friend who'd done the lovely thing of sending me a birthday card? No way.

PS exactly the same thing happened to my MIL on Mothers Day when she didn't get a card from her daughter. A LOT more than 1.09 was spent on sobbing hysterical phone calls to DH, and then from him back and forth to SIL, before the matter was cleared up. We felt a bit grumpy at the Post Office on that occasion  >:(