General Etiquette > Life...in general

Bowling for Pedestrians, is not my Fault (Update Post 46)

<< < (2/12) > >>

menley:
I usually raise my arms/shoulders, palms upraised, in a "What the heck?" kind of gesture... but I realize this is not etiquette-approved :)

If the windows are open, you could call out, "Please be careful!", I think, without being rude. But generally, at the point that someone has slammed on their brakes to avoid you, they know they've done something wrong (or they're obliviously thinking you jumped in front of their car). Saying or gesturing something to them will not change this.

magicdomino:

--- Quote from: SPuck on April 22, 2013, 02:52:00 PM ---The incidents never happen because of distraction. As far as I can seen anyway. They always occur at a cross walk near the crest of a hill so I understand the sudden stops in that situation, but not the speeding up after I already started in the cross walk. The other incidents occur after some train tracks near my house. For some reason people feel the need to catch up for lost time after they have slowed down for the tracks.

--- End quote ---

What is the time of day?  I go up a bit of a hill when I pull out of the office parking garage.  Depending on the time of year, the sun is in my eyes despite sunglasses, visor, and bobbing my head around trying to find something to block the sun.  While I can see well enough to pick out the traffic light at the top of the hill, I cannot see the pedestrians who sometimes jaywalk on their way to the subway stop.

SPuck:
It's occurred at multiple times of day. Some times morning some times afternoon, and as I mentioned before I don't jay walk. All my hit and misses seem to be occurring in the cross walks.

jpcher:

--- Quote from: SPuck on April 22, 2013, 02:36:19 PM ---I practice basic road safety and etiquette, I stop before entering the side walk, look both way, wait for cars that are going to pass even though legally they have to stop.

--- End quote ---

Are there posted stop signs so that the cars have to stop anyway?

As far as I know cars do not have to stop at crosswalks if there isn't a stop sign/signal or yield to pedestrian type of sign.

EllenS:
JPcher, in the US cars don't have to stop at unoccupied crosswalks without a stop sign, but they certainly have to yield for pedestrians whether there is a sign or not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version