Author Topic: Bowling for Pedestrians, is not my Fault (Update Post 46)  (Read 9002 times)

SPuck

Bowling for Pedestrians, is not my Fault (Update Post 46)
« on: April 22, 2013, 02:36:19 PM »
So I live in Massachusetts, and I like to walk every day. I have discovered that the most dangerous time of the year to walk is on bright summer or spring days in the middle of a cross walk. I had three memorable incidents last year, and so far this year (after the melting at least 32 inch tall snow banks) one car's sudden stop resulted in a car behind it having the swerve into oncoming traffic, which at the time wasn't oncoming because the drivers stopped for me.

I practice basic road safety and etiquette, I stop before entering the side walk, look both way, wait for cars that are going to pass even though legally they have to stop. What I want to know are appropriate gesture that I can give after they have stopped suddenly or what I should yell as they are skidding to a stop (and assuming they car hear me because there windows are open because of the warmth)?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 12:11:04 PM by SPuck »

Camarynne

• Nowadays, friendship is global. :)
Re: Bowling for Pedestrians
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 02:38:59 PM »
Nothing?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Truth, my friend, is somewhere out there, just waiting to be released.
But before you embark on your great endeavor, know that you'll never return to peace.
-- Charles Edward Jaggard

Ilovemygeek

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 02:42:13 PM »
I just smile and wave like a maniac. Somehow being super friendly disturbs people more.

EllenS

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 02:43:54 PM »
I think if you were to scream "Look out!" or "Oh, my Diety!" at fear of being run down, that would fall under "emergency" and not under "etiquette".

However, if the moment of danger has passed and you are just looking for a way to express yourself afterwards, there is nothing that can be politely shouted at people.

I would note, however, that standing in the crosswalk while writing down their license plate and ostentaiously calling 911 to report texting/cellphone use/other reckless driving is perfectly polite.  May not be SMART, but it is not rude.

SPuck

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »
The incidents never happen because of distraction. As far as I can seen anyway. They always occur at a cross walk near the crest of a hill so I understand the sudden stops in that situation, but not the speeding up after I already started in the cross walk. The other incidents occur after some train tracks near my house. For some reason people feel the need to catch up for lost time after they have slowed down for the tracks.

menley

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 02:52:21 PM »
I usually raise my arms/shoulders, palms upraised, in a "What the heck?" kind of gesture... but I realize this is not etiquette-approved :)

If the windows are open, you could call out, "Please be careful!", I think, without being rude. But generally, at the point that someone has slammed on their brakes to avoid you, they know they've done something wrong (or they're obliviously thinking you jumped in front of their car). Saying or gesturing something to them will not change this.

magicdomino

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 03:59:42 PM »
The incidents never happen because of distraction. As far as I can seen anyway. They always occur at a cross walk near the crest of a hill so I understand the sudden stops in that situation, but not the speeding up after I already started in the cross walk. The other incidents occur after some train tracks near my house. For some reason people feel the need to catch up for lost time after they have slowed down for the tracks.

What is the time of day?  I go up a bit of a hill when I pull out of the office parking garage.  Depending on the time of year, the sun is in my eyes despite sunglasses, visor, and bobbing my head around trying to find something to block the sun.  While I can see well enough to pick out the traffic light at the top of the hill, I cannot see the pedestrians who sometimes jaywalk on their way to the subway stop.

SPuck

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
It's occurred at multiple times of day. Some times morning some times afternoon, and as I mentioned before I don't jay walk. All my hit and misses seem to be occurring in the cross walks.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 05:42:41 PM »
I practice basic road safety and etiquette, I stop before entering the side walk, look both way, wait for cars that are going to pass even though legally they have to stop.

Are there posted stop signs so that the cars have to stop anyway?

As far as I know cars do not have to stop at crosswalks if there isn't a stop sign/signal or yield to pedestrian type of sign.

EllenS

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 05:48:15 PM »
JPcher, in the US cars don't have to stop at unoccupied crosswalks without a stop sign, but they certainly have to yield for pedestrians whether there is a sign or not.

curly sue

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 05:54:58 PM »
I have this problem on my lunchtime walks. One of my favorite routes has an intersection that for some reason everyone loses their mind when they get to it. I have resorted to carrying a whistle and when I get the walk signal, if I don't trust that the car turning right is going to let me proceed, I just blow my whistle and give a little wave. I will admit to feeling pretty silly using the whistle but I'd rather feel silly and be able to enjoy my walks than not use the whistle and be a splat on the sidewalk.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 06:17:52 PM »
I usually raise my arms/shoulders, palms upraised, in a "What the heck?" kind of gesture... but I realize this is not etiquette-approved :)

This is my move exactly -- I figure it's still better than making a rude gesture!

I'm enjoying Ilovemygeek's suggestion of being super friendly, though.  I may have to try that one next time.  (Drivers in my city are insane too.  They love making super fast turns without slowing when I have a walk signal and am already halfway across the street.)

SPuck

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 06:34:15 PM »
For some reason the intersection on the busy route/highway near by house is also generally safer to cross. I also feel safer walking on the side of the road in winter (when the sidewalks are covered) because half of all cars slow down and at least all of them move towards the other side of the street when I am walking at them. It's stupid and makes me want to walk with a portable stop sign.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 06:38:09 PM »
If anybody figures out to get people to pay more attention when people are walking in a legal crosswalk, well...

as Fry would say "Shut up and take my money already!".  Although, I might try the whistle idea.

*Grumbles about suburb drivers*

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 07:40:57 PM »
Here in Pittsburgh, it is pedestrians vs cars all the time...and neither yields well.  I really try not to be like my fellow yinzers and jay walk or take on a bus speeding down the bus only lane , but even in the cross walk that I have the walk light sign on, right on red can be deadly for walkers because the drivers take that right seriously!  When I am almost smooshed by someone who feels that the stop sign is optional or that red light doesn't apply to them, I give the little wave and a smile then walk slowly past their bumper.  So far, no one has gunned the engine and attempted to kill me.