Author Topic: Bowling for Pedestrians, is not my Fault (Update Post 46)  (Read 8552 times)

wyliefool

Re: Bowling for Pedestrians
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2013, 08:33:11 AM »
I always pause and wait at the cross walk for people to slow down, but I had a near hit and miss last year because the person sped up after I had seen them slow down. The same thing happened today, at another cross walk.

Okay, go ahead and slam me.

Just because there is a cross walk does not mean that traffic needs to slow down or stop for a pedestrian. (well, yes, if a pedestrian is in the crosswalk drivers do need to yield in order to avoid an accidental hitting of the pedestrian.)

Unless there is a clear signal (walk/don't walk) for pedestrians to cross, it is up to the pedestrian to yield to oncoming traffic in uncontrolled crossings.

Hence the "Look both way's" rule. Do not ever expect people to slow down or stop, especially if they have no prior notice of crossing pedestrians. As a pedestrian, you may have the right-of-way, but you also have the wherewithall to see on coming traffic before they see you.

Surianne -- you posted while I was typing.

Granted. People in cars should always be on the lookout for pedestrians. I hit a bicyclist once. The bicyclist was damaged (broken bones) and ticketed because he was in the wrong.

Just because you, as a pedestrian, having the right of way doesn't mean that you shouldn't be aware of and extremely careful of oncoming traffic.

(LadyDyani, you also posted while I was typing.)

I'll shut up now.

Actually, here in PA at least, the law is that cars must stop for pedestrians standing at crosswalks, regardless of the absence of stop signs or red lights. I believe that's the law in some other states too. Some drivers stop for people who are obviously looking to cross the street even when they're not at a marked crosswalk; then there are those who speed thru the crosswalks, sending peds scattering.

msulinski

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2013, 10:33:22 AM »
Wait wait wait.

<snip>
Granted. People in cars should always be on the lookout for pedestrians. I hit a bicyclist once. The bicyclist was damaged (broken bones) and ticketed because he was in the wrong.

Just because you, as a pedestrian, having the right of way doesn't mean that you shouldn't be aware of and extremely careful of oncoming traffic.
<snip>

I feel you need to explain this more.  My brain is hurting from the fact that you ran into someone on a bike, there were broken bones, and you weren't ticketed or (possibly) sued.  Also, in your post, it sounds like you don't really care like you hurt someone.  It could be the internet but that really shocks me. 

I've looked up some things about pedestrians in my state (IL).  At a legal crosswalk, pedestrians always have right of way as long as they are crossing legally.  So, if I'm going across the street, I trump you in the car making a right or left turn.  I actually trump a normal pedestrian by having a visible disability (woo red tipped cane) as I am supposed to be yielded to no matter what.  But drivers don't seem to care, considering how many times I've nearly been hit or had my cane nearly taken out of my hands due to someone having to turn right or left RIGHT.NOW.   ::)

However, if I'm jaywalking, then I do have to yield to the drivers.  And probably would be ticketed if a cop saw me or if I got hit.  It's why I don't jaywalk, but sometimes I wonder if it would be safer than a crosswalk.  Drivers seem to pay more attention to things that dart out from the side of the road than people crossing a crosswalk.

not sure why this hurts your brain. It sounds obvious from the post that the cyclist was in the wrong. So your solution would be to ticket the the driver of the car? Why, simply because the cyclist is injured? That makes no sense to me at all.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2013, 11:21:23 AM »
I always pause and wait at the cross walk for people to slow down, but I had a near hit and miss last year because the person sped up after I had seen them slow down. The same thing happened today, at another cross walk.

Just because there is a cross walk does not mean that traffic needs to slow down or stop for a pedestrian. (well, yes, if a pedestrian is in the crosswalk drivers do need to yield in order to avoid an accidental hitting of the pedestrian.)

Actually, here in PA at least, the law is that cars must stop for pedestrians standing at crosswalks, regardless of the absence of stop signs or red lights. I believe that's the law in some other states too. Some drivers stop for people who are obviously looking to cross the street even when they're not at a marked crosswalk; then there are those who speed thru the crosswalks, sending peds scattering.

This is one of those "regional differences" that can actually become life-threatening.

In my locality, a driver legally does have to stop for pedestrians in crosswalks. I learned that it doesn't apply everywhere when, in another region, I walked out onto a crosswalk figuring that the driver saw me in plenty of time to stop. He must have thought I had a death wish!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

wyliefool

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2013, 12:08:45 PM »

This is one of those "regional differences" that can actually become life-threatening.

In my locality, a driver legally does have to stop for pedestrians in crosswalks. I learned that it doesn't apply everywhere when, in another region, I walked out onto a crosswalk figuring that the driver saw me in plenty of time to stop. He must have thought I had a death wish!

Well even tho it's the law here you still look and wait until you see them slowing down (as OP did) because it's not a given that they'll obey the law.

As a NYer, I much prefer jaywalking in the middle of a block. You can peek out from between parked vehicles, where you won't get run over, and there's no one screeching around the corner from the cross street. If there's traffic coming, you're protected from it by the parked vehicles, which no one wants to hit since it will damage thier cars. The times I've been almost hit are the times I've been crossing at the light when the 'walking man' sign is lit.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2013, 02:50:19 PM »
Wait wait wait.

<snip>

<snip>

I feel you need to explain this more.  My brain is hurting from the fact that you ran into someone on a bike, there were broken bones, and you weren't ticketed or (possibly) sued.  Also, in your post, it sounds like you don't really care like you hurt someone.  It could be the internet but that really shocks me. 

I've looked up some things about pedestrians in my state (IL).  At a legal crosswalk, pedestrians always have right of way as long as they are crossing legally.  So, if I'm going across the street, I trump you in the car making a right or left turn.  I actually trump a normal pedestrian by having a visible disability (woo red tipped cane) as I am supposed to be yielded to no matter what.  But drivers don't seem to care, considering how many times I've nearly been hit or had my cane nearly taken out of my hands due to someone having to turn right or left RIGHT.NOW.   ::)

However, if I'm jaywalking, then I do have to yield to the drivers.  And probably would be ticketed if a cop saw me or if I got hit.  It's why I don't jaywalk, but sometimes I wonder if it would be safer than a crosswalk.  Drivers seem to pay more attention to things that dart out from the side of the road than people crossing a crosswalk.

not sure why this hurts your brain. It sounds obvious from the post that the cyclist was in the wrong. So your solution would be to ticket the the driver of the car? Why, simply because the cyclist is injured? That makes no sense to me at all.

I think it is, as a PP said, a regional difference going on.  In my state, the person driving the car would be in the wrong, even if the bicyclist was doing something wrong.  It didn't even cross my mind that there would be such a difference in different states about what happens when someone hits a bicyclist.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2013, 03:06:07 PM »
I practice basic road safety and etiquette, I stop before entering the side walk, look both way, wait for cars that are going to pass even though legally they have to stop.

Are there posted stop signs so that the cars have to stop anyway?

As far as I know cars do not have to stop at crosswalks if there isn't a stop sign/signal or yield to pedestrian type of sign.

They do in my area, which is an unincorporated part of our county. Every year, there is a rash of ticket writing for drivers not yielding to the pedestrians.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2013, 03:11:16 PM »
I would also like to add, as a driver, a big thank you to those pedestrians who follow the rules! I have to drive on campus nearly every day, and just about every time there is a student walking down the middle of the lane on their phone or with headphones and they never look to see if there are cars around! I had to honk at one last week as she meandered directly into my vehicle's path.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2013, 05:59:26 PM »
Wait wait wait.

<snip>

<snip>

I feel you need to explain this more.  My brain is hurting from the fact that you ran into someone on a bike, there were broken bones, and you weren't ticketed or (possibly) suedAlso, in your post, it sounds like you don't really care like you hurt someone.  It could be the internet but that really shocks me. 

I think it is, as a PP said, a regional difference going on.  In my state, the person driving the car would be in the wrong, even if the bicyclist was doing something wrong.  It didn't even cross my mind that there would be such a difference in different states about what happens when someone hits a bicyclist.

Green above, yes it is an internet thing (probably the way I phrased it, too.) Trust me, I still have nightmares of a body rolling across the hood of my car. I know I posted this story in a different thread a while back and I didn't want to derail this thread any more than I already had.

To clarify -- At a stop light with 2 left turn lanes (off-ramp and left was the only way to turn.) I was in the far left lane and a full-sized van was next to me, causing a huge blind spot. Light turned green, I stepped on the gas and a second later I heard a shout, I slammed on my brakes and there was a body rolling across the hood of my car.

Bicyclist was ticked for 1. Failure to yield to traffic, 2. Running a red light, 3. Riding on the wrong side of the street (against the flow of traffic), 4. Riding a bicycle without a helmet, 5. Improperly equipped bicycle (no lights -- I think they just threw this one in there, it was broad daylight ::)) Bicyclist had a broken collar bone, slight concussion and a lot of road-rash.

Again, SPuck, I apologize for the derailment.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread . . .

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2013, 11:08:33 PM »
Actually Snoopygirl, she would be right at home in Oakland with the Pitt students who have a death wish on the bus lane !  And in jpcher's defense, we have messenger bicyclists who race between lanes of traffic going the wrong way, zigzag between lanes, go left on red and just generally make nuisances of themselves, but as the city goes more and more bike friendly, more and more people are being hit and killed and 9 out of 10 times, it is the motorists fault.   

AngelicGamer

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2013, 12:02:18 AM »
Jpcher, that sounds scary!  Thank you for sharing the whole story - I can see now that the bicyclist is completely at fault.  I am so sorry you still have nightmares about that.  I also apologize for the threadjack, as I did ask for the whole story.

(((hugs jpcher)))

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2013, 10:55:06 AM »
Jpcher, nearly experienced that this morning. I was in the inside left turn lane, we got the signal and began to move and some man on a bicycle comes flying in front of the cars with his hand outstretched, as if that would prevent him being injured by the car directly in front of him. The crossing signals are set up so that he had missed his turn to cross by 15-20 seconds.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2013, 10:58:33 AM »
My latest pet peeve?  Running shoppers.  I drive slow through a parking lot and gauge shoppers that are walking that they won't "reach" me in time so I can keep going. 

Twice this week, I see shoppers and think okay I can make it just fine coasting through when all of a sudden there are running shoppers dashing in front of me causing me to slam on my brakes.  It's like where in the world did you come from.  And in the second incident, dd was facing me from the passenger seat and saw one just break into a jog right in front of me again causing me to brake.  Please don't do this.  Walk! (never mind that this isn't even in the crosswalk either, this is in random spots from the parking lot on my left and stores on my right)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2013, 05:55:57 PM »
Nothing?
That was my second thought, too.   (Since my first one would never be considered appropriate.  >:D)
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Gyburc

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2013, 07:16:30 AM »
Jpcher, nearly experienced that this morning. I was in the inside left turn lane, we got the signal and began to move and some man on a bicycle comes flying in front of the cars with his hand outstretched, as if that would prevent him being injured by the car directly in front of him. The crossing signals are set up so that he had missed his turn to cross by 15-20 seconds.

I still remember a very close call I witnessed a few years ago. There's a crossroads in the centre of the city where I work, where the traffic lights alternately let traffic go east-west and west-east, then south only, then north only. It's a fairly busy crossroads, and very sadly, a young student cyclist was killed there recently by a rubbish lorry.

The incident that I saw involved another student cyclist, a young woman who was cycling west to east. As she came up to the crossroads, the lights changed to red for her, and to green for the traffic travelling south. There was plenty of time for her to stop, but she simply didn't bother. Instead, as the southbound traffic started off, she just cycled very slowly out across in front of them, causing all the cars to perform emergency stops, and the bikes to swerve to avoid hitting her.

She was wearing headphones, and never once even looked to see what was happening around her - I doubt she even noticed the cars. It really was a miracle that she wasn't hit. I hate driving in the centre of the city because of people who do stupid things like this.
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2013, 07:06:39 PM »
In my province, drivers must stop for pedestrians both at crosswalks and at corners. Also, pedestrians are encouraged to indicate their intent to cross by sticking their arm out pointing across the street, so drivers can slow down/stop for them. There have been a huge number of pedestrian fatalities in the past 10 years, and the fine for breaking the pedestrian crossing law is in excess of CAD$500.00. Oh, and the drivers are supposed to stay stopped from the time the pedestrian steps off the curb, until they step on the opposing curb, or the curb of the median in a divided street.

In response to the question asked in the OP, I would probably smilingly and cheerfully call out, "Thank you for not killing me today!", but then I am a bit of a smart mouth.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.